Betta Fish Forum banner

white tip on fin???

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  balou 
#1 ·
Hello everyone ... In the past I have had an aquarium but no bettas in them... I got a half moon betta for xmas unfortunately the poor thing got sick and pass away rip Bam Bam ... since then I have gotten another betta but thats all it said on the container (male betta ) would like to find out what kind, im working on getting a pic. on here so someone can help me ... anyways to my point why im here tonight... Balou, my new one , on the very front fin( the skinny ones that look like whiskers on the bottom ) the right one has a white tip :-?and the other one doesnt can anyone help and tell me if I should be worried...

#2 · (Edited)
Do you mean the tips of his ventral fins? (See image below.) If so, that's fine. White tips generally indicate new growth, which is good. (Conversely, ragged, torn or dark colored tips indicate a problem.

Edited to add: Not sure if you can see it, but the female in my avatar has white tips on her ventral fins. The picture was taken just after I got her.

#3 ·
Thank you , little blue fishlets... yes its the ventral fins... after bam bam passed i got worried about balou...Im glad its new growth... he shares the tank with a frog and catfish ... they all seem happy in there lots of hiding places...

#5 ·
white tips fins???

good afternoon... my tank is 5.5 gallons has a filter and heater... he shares the tank with dino( catfish ) and kermit the froggy ( african dwarf frog ) with lots of hiding for everyone.... I do have experience with aquarium but its been a long time...at least 10 yrs

Attachments

#6 ·
ADFS require 10g. The smallest of corys require 10g but some require much larger..

White tips on ventrals are pretty normal for a lot of fish. I have two with that characteristic, but it could also be a sign of problems if the colors on your fish are fading.

#7 ·
Thank you, Callistra ...Thank goodness he is still as bright as he was the day I bought him...which is only 4 days...he's my second (Bam Bam , a half moon... died the week before...R.I.P) PENN PLAX is using metal in their ornaments, and it's KILLING our fishP.= Is there a list of these ornaments somewhere...????

#8 ·
Sorry about bam bam :(

This is a new tank then? Then in addition to needing to upgrade the other fish, your tank will be undergoing cycling..

You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon is needed. First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by weekly 50% change with siphon... this is without the extra fish.. with them you may need to do much more or twice a week.

All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems. You can also use new plastic bucket that had never been used for anything else and never been cleaned with soap or other chems

I don't think there is a list. I would just check any ornament with a strong magnet. The spongbob house for sure had metal. Penn plax is changing this but they aren't recalling what's already out there.

#9 ·
Thanks callistra... I found this site too late for bam bam but the info. on here has refresh my memory on the care of a tank and some new stuff on bettas...water changes are being done still have to get the water kit to test but I do have the ammonia sticks...I will be up grading the tank before I add any more fish ...as we speak I am looking for the magnet Thanks again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.