Betta Fish Forum banner

What to Stock Up On For Emergencies???

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Katy 
#1 ·
I am noticing that there are so many posts on Fishy sicknesses, and diseases, that I need to stockpile some suplies, and suggest for Emergencies that maybe we should all do it, why wait until an emergency and not be prepared..so I want to know for each disease what would be needed such as:

DROPSY_____________________________
Swim Bladder Disease_______________________
POP Eye______________________________
Velvet__________________________________
Ich___________________________________
Parasites___________________________________

Please add to this list..so I can get a better idea of how to treat such an illness..I have yet needed to deal with such illnesses..but if the time comes I want to be ready..I love my lil guys, and I don't want to waste time, to run out and get something that I should have already. So if anyone can help me get this list started by adding what to get for each disease..I would very much appreciate all the help that I can get ;-)

Also there are such house hold items that are also useful, such as garlic..what else can be added to this list?? We all should be prepared for any emergency..so I think this would help all of us..

See less See more
#2 ·
First off: Aquarium salt AND Epsom salt.

No cure for dropsy... sorry..

MY FISH FIRST AID CUPBOARD (yuh, they have their own cupboard hahaha)

tweezers: you never know when you need them.
Maracyn and Maracyn 2: one of the best combos out there, which fights numerous things!
Jungle parasite fizz tabs: works for internal and external
Jungle Ich meds: the liquid one. works well!
Furan and Furan 2: another good combo.
Copper safe: I dunno, but it is recommended. I never used it.

#5 ·
Oh! And as a just-in-case... Kanaplex. The super medicine that is very strong... I have not had to use it since Shadow's passing. It helped him with his mystery disease, even though his immune system stopped after.

#8 ·
I second kanaplex (I believe kanamyacin is the same, just kanaplex is a brand name).

It is a potent medication, and often hard to get unless ordered online. However it does work well on certain fast moving, very fatal diseases. I think of it as a life saver.

As was mentioned earlier, aquarium salt and epsom salt (plain, dye free, unscented). A quarantine tank (depending on the size of his current living conditions may not be necessary).

While not necessary... I like keeping an eyedropper (great for feeding frozen food or measuring out liquid medicines and even prime!), a turkey baster (if you have a bare bottom tank you can just suck up the poo daily!) and don't fall for the "betta" version, I get mine at the dollar store. A dedicated teaspoon for measuring salts for treatment. I like to also keep a pair of jugs for letting water age to room temp, also for premixing treatment. Again dollarstore buys.

#9 ·
I don't recommend stocking up on the medicated items. Personally I would make a list & next time there's a 20% sale, then purchase them.

Medications are only necessary if you overfeed or neglect the fish too long, by not doing the proper water changes.

BTW, what do you other members recommend for heaters? Wattage recommendations would also be helpful.

#11 ·
I don't recommend stocking up on the medicated items. Personally I would make a list & next time there's a 20% sale, then purchase them.

Medications are only necessary if you overfeed or neglect the fish too long, by not doing the proper water changes.

BTW, what do you other members recommend for heaters? Wattage recommendations would also be helpful.
I want to do it in case I need to take in another rescue;-), or if for any reason something ever happens that I can't fix with a salt treatment..praying not

#13 ·
Thanks Teeney

I was going to ask you what kind of heater in the background with your new PS betta.

Never heard of ViaAqua brand before. To be honest, it looks sort of a copycat version of of the Visi-Therm.

The Visi-Therm has EACH heating element encased in a glass tube so it doesn't actually touch the glass. That's something extra to prevent the glass from cracking from sudden changes in water temperature.

But regardless compared to the store brands @ PTC & PS, you definitely got a good deal.

Your ViaAqua has a lot of good built in features as well.

• Built in adjustable thermostat in Celsius & Fahrenheit.
  • Built in light that tells you it's ON.
  • It's completely submersible.
  • It's pretty stylish as well.
  • Black rubber top above the glass tube.
  • Nice color scheme, black/red.
  • Adjustment knob looks easy to grip
  • Overall a very NICE design.
BTW, if you only have a 10gallon & you live in FL, it should be hot there. So you should be able to get away with a 25W heater for the summer months.

I'm heating my 10 gallon tank in cycle right now to 90 degrees with a 25watt heater.

#14 ·
My parents keep the house on freezing cold all year long xD except winter obviously... Although our winters aren't THAT bad.. The lowest it gets is about 30 degrees. Still very cold though xD

#15 ·
Teeney.....

Also I noticed your heater also goes up to 93 degrees. If you have time, turn it up and let me know if what the actual maximum temperature your heater can attain.

• High temperatures are a great way to kill parasites naturally.

• The VisiTherms I have 25w 50w & 100w are only reads up to 89 degrees, but the tank temperature currently is 90 degrees at the moment.

Also I just ran a couple water tests & the Nitrites are .50ppm & ammonia was .25ppm earlier today before I added 4 drops 100% ammonia.

Going to run 2 more tests right now & add a airstone to the 10 gallon & turn it up full blast.

My friend told me that I need to OXYGENATE the water when I raise the temperature so the bacteria don't suffocate.

I'm curious to see if that will bring the Nitrite & Ammonia down a bit more to possibly 0.

I want to start the sorority tonight if possible.

I'm tired of doing water changes on half a dozen tanks.

#16 ·
Haha just be warned you may need to go back to cleaning lots of tanks if a female or two decides to be a meanie.

I had to pull my kanaplex back out since we are moving in case I found a blue here.. The store here had 6 blues and today they were all mysteriously gone...

Anywho I find if you HAVE the meds there seems to be less irony of disease outbreak. Or it is just me. Lol.

#19 ·
Great thread:
I have 10 tanks, 15 bettas, and a laundry room stocked with 'fish stuff', several shelves. And while I agree that most disease can be avoided with proper conditions and water changes, unfortunately all of mine are rescue bettas with horrible immune systems, rescued from horrific conditions. I seem to always be fighting something with them, and I believe in being prepared. Also I'm a human doctor and believe in first aid kits:)
Fortunately I have not lost many fish, only a few initially to an infected sorority, RIP, but not in many many months... Recently I am fighting columnaris, hopefully winning, crossing all fingers...

My fishy first aid kit includes:
AQ and epsom salts, the former I use much more than the latter
IAL, which I bought online
I am a fan of decaf tea bags... some like, some don't, but I like the natural tannins
I keep a couple of extra heaters- with 15 tanks, you can never have enough
Thermometers too. Sounds strange- but I had a thermometer break in the tank
Tons of Prime on hand.

As my tanks all have natural plants, I try to avoid a lot of meds, but in my experience:
Kanamycin (mostly only found online) is a must- I recently used it for the first time, it has (hopefully) saved one of my fishies...
I also keep, as others have recommended:
The maracyns...and maroxy- can be bought at petsmart
API drugs as well- erythro and tetra- different drug classes, both for bacteria- potent in humans- have had some success in fish. API fungus cure I have, though not had to deal with the fuzzies.
Furans- that's basiscally nitrofurantin (macrobid)- for bacteria, usually gram negs- I don't keep this as kanamycin should cover the same- but I'm interested in others experience.
For parasites, I keep aquarisol, but not had to use it-

The best ammunition is (other than pristine water quality) the correct diagnosis- people don't prescribe medications without knowing what organisim with which they are dealing, and it's the same for fish. Harder though, which is why a vet's job is harder than mine and I applaud them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.