Betta Fish Forum banner

Ugh, idea's?

2K views 52 replies 5 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
I give up trying to find what else to put in my 29 gallon. Don't mind the fuzziness of the water, it's just sand particles since I cleaned it before I took he picture

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The water is almost filled to the top, I don't have it all the way full since I have two ADF's. I have a goldfish, he is going to be gone in the spring. 4 platies, and the two ADF's.

#4 ·
I'd add more plants! But thats just me, i love the jungle-ish look.

#6 ·
I was just asking because in the picture the water level was pretty low, which would cut you down quite a few gallons. ;)

Hmm.....well, I'd suggest waiting until the spring when that goldfish is gone before you start sticking anything else in there, but after that if you're going for a peaceful tropical community you have a lot of options.

Have you looked into any peaceful schooling species? Besides neons, there are many different kinds of tetras and such. You could do a nice school of 6-8 or so of most species.
You could fit in a nice shoal(6+, depending on what else you add)of corys to if those appeal to you.
You could probably add in a couple more platys or a couple guppies, though if you have male and female platys they'll add to the population for you. ;)

Were you thinking of adding a betta to the tank at all a some point?

#7 ·
I had two failed sororities all of them dying from columnaris. I was thinking of adding some cories, a few more platies, and a clown pleco. Surprisingly, I had my platies for a few months and none of them have dropped fry or attempted to mate even though I have a male and three females

#8 ·
Hmm....that is quite strange. Are you positive you have both male and female? I don't think I've ever heard of live-bearers not breeding and reproducing when you have both genders together....

You could definitely do a nicely sized shoal of corys. I'd suggest all one kind though(as in, all albinos, or all pandas), they do prefer to shoal with their own. Be cautious and do your research though, there are some false corys out there that can get much larger then true corys.

I don't see why another platy or two wouldn't work too, you do have a lot of room to work with!

If you'd rather not try a betta in there, just as a random suggestion, you could add in a Gourami. They're a cousin to the betta, but a tad more peaceful and easy going(most of the time, they do have their own personalities though!). I'd suggest a Dwarf or Honey as they tend to be a little more peaceful then the larger species like Blues and golds(I once had a Blue that destroyed my 46 gallon community...he was a NASTY little guy), though Pearls are also fairly peaceful. Don't get more then one male, however, as they will fight and bicker.....and since they can be a little difficult to sex, probably best to just stick to one period.

#9 ·
I had a dwarf gourami, he was a little brat and claimed the little cave in my tank as his own. Never came out until feeding time and he got to be 4"

#10 ·
Hmm....That sounds more like you ended up with a larger Gourami species rather then a Dwarf. Dwarfs typically stay around 2 inches, 3 being the max, or so and are, for the most part so long as there aren't two males, decently peaceful and friendly. Before I got into bettas, they were my favorite species....I had a Dwarf I named Fluffy, and he was the sweetest, most attentive, and most interactive fish I've had besides my bettas.
Honeys typically stay around the same size(they're a dwarf species)as well and are also very peaceful. I had several myself, always loved them.

Up to you though of course, just a suggestion. ;)

#12 ·
Rams can be a little sensitive so you'll need to have a very well established and stable tank as well as a somewhat lower PH/more acidic water, and they are Chichlids so they can be a tad on the aggressive side. Thank size-wise I don't see a problem, but you'll definitely want to do some research on your own/maybe ask on TFK(tropicalfishkeeping.com, bettafish.com's parent site)for some answers from people with actual experience with the species as I'm afraid I am only familiar with the bit of basic research I've done on Rams.

#17 ·
I breed a guppy Colony and non have ever changed gender. Clownfish can change gender. Dwarf Indian as Puffers as fry can change genders. But Livebearers do not.

#19 ·
livebearers do actually, it's happened to me many times. I've had a sure male, and when it got to be that there wer a lot less females and more males he would turn into female. One time I had a molly named Rudolf and she was a big female, had lots of babies. Then one time I noticed she wasn't pregnant for some reason, before I knew it she had turned into a he and was breeding all of the females. I have bred livebearers for years. So trust me on this, they can change gender.

#21 ·
Whoops your right. But its not super common. Buut guppies breed in some bad conditions. I have seen mollies breed in pure saltwater. They can live in some bad conditions. Now stress can cause them to abort the eggs.

#29 ·
Many people including many Christians believe in Micro Evolution. Plus Micro Evolution has been proven. Ripariums are a good setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.