Betta Fish Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 837 participants last post by  ThatFishThough 
#1 ·
Alright, let's admit it, we are all guilty of fantasy shopping on Aquabid (and sometimes even splurging!) I thought I would start a thread for people to show off their dream betta's, unusual colors, and exciting purchases!

#12,912 ·
Well, that was quick.

I already rec'd a reply, won't post it since that feels a bit over the line, but basically I got thanked and the gist was they "missed" that the fish had this defect, and will now tell people.

And I responded:

"You're more than welcome. Great to hear you plan to do the honest thing and inform folks upfront! Will keep an eye on your auction ;-)"

The reply I got back from that leads me to believe nothing was "missed," but that's just speculation on my part.

And I just realized I have better things to do right now, namely--steak and a salad to cook. Well, I'm not cooking the salad, but you know...mmm, hungry.

#12,913 ·
they manupulated the info into
Please note: the pearly eye can cause blindness in older fish. If the color thickens too much the fish will have a hard time seeing.
yah.."can cause".."older fish" how about: "is already"..."right now"

#12,916 ·
Does anyone feel that boy would have even been worth the $75 without the diamond eye??

He's trying to sell a "quality" betta, and not only is it blind with the Diamond Eye, but his top line alone is so wonky and strange. I'm still reading and learning about standards about form, and so I know I fail on identifying good and bad things a LOT but it doesn't take much to see how BAD that top line is... There is no way that boy is worth the $75, at all, by any means.

#12,918 ·
Did you see this one?

"AWESOME PEARLY EYED PLATINUM ROSETAIL HALFMOON PLAKAT MALE. THIS FISH HAS ONE EYE GETTING WHITE ALREADY BOTH WILL GET PLATINUM. No hes not sick its an extension of the platinum color to his eye. (AS FOR THE BLACK THING HE DECIDED TO TAKE A POOP SORRY)
Please read carefully so you understand that the fish is my no means sick. It’s a genetic thing that the platinum extends to the eyes. If youre unsure of anything ask questions."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/live-betta-...a82b08&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=151711441616

Diamond eye hasn't progressed ANYWHERE NEAR as far, but - I'm not sure he understands exactly what it's implications are.

#12,933 ·
I have no energy left for this one.

Please, someone write to him and call him on that crap.

I can't abide that he is advertising "PERFECTION," on listings for fish with genetic disorders.

Betcha he puts the other fish back up, when he thinks no one is paying attention anymore, or when he finds a venue where he can censor any truthful (negative) commentary on the poor fish.

#12,919 ·
Uuuhhh yeah, that's not a poop. That's some sort of leech or something, idk even know what it is, but poops don't protrude from it's side....

I don't think any of his fish are worth that much

#12,922 ·
lol, I was thinking about that earlier...what would happen to him if he suddenly got about 20 different emails about his so called "perfect" fish....he'd probably just hate us even more and drive his prices up :roll:

#12,929 ·
Ha! Even if he did drive his prices up, it wouldn't bother us since none of us want his "quality" bettas anyway. The good thing is if he did that no one else would buy his fish either.
I am wondering if he pays a Thai seller a lump sum for the seller's culls. Because they sure aren't quality. I don't think any self respecting Thai breeder would even sell a fish like that without indicating it was a cull.

#12,932 ·
Lol just catching up on this thread. Yes I am female. Although on other forums even when I post my name (it is what I would call the feminine spelling of a unisex name), people seem to assume I am male. Maybe I just have a more masculine tone in my writing.

I really liked the colour on that male AukWord. Glad to hear that he reached you safely.

#12,934 ·
So the first diamond eye boy the seller came back and defensively swore it could see perfectly.. then took down the listing.. Why take it down if its perfectly fine? Guilty conscience?

#12,935 ·
So that HMPK Mustard female I bought from Phusit has arrived today. I need to pick her up from the office today and so I'll give you all an update on if she's DOA or not. Apparently she was sent out Tuesday but Linda never told me :-/ I had sent her an email Wednesday asking about it but no response. Today, and I've never done this to her, I emailed again and told her that she was losing my business because of lack of communication, she emailed back within 10 minutes....I love how she does shipping but it is becoming a little ridiculous.

Let's all just hope the girl arrives safely and I don't have to work with another DOA :-/ that would be third in a row....

#12,937 ·
Yay! She came in alive and well!! Survived acclimation as well unlike the last two! Here's to hoping she breeds!!

#12,938 ·
Omg I love the blue trim on her fins! want! *grabby hands*
edit: hope she doesn't marble like Xerxes did.. started with just a thin trim around the edges.. now there is pretty much no yellow left in the fins (blue bleeding outward from tip and base of fins)

#12,942 ·
OK... aside from the fact she's being offered by that wretched "Pearly Eye" seller... I'm trying to teach myself and recognize good for and finnage in Betta's.. I don't need to be like, Show Judge quality, and I have no plans on breeding anytime soon, if ever, either. I'm just in love with everything bout the breed and I need to and HAVE to know more and everything I can...

That being said.. This girl has nearly perfect form, right? The Anal and Dorsal are evenly matched and look nearly mirror image of one another, the double tail is just about as perfectly symmetrical as they come, tho I think the split could go a little further towards the Caudal peduncle...? Her top line does have a small dip in it just before the Dorsal fin, but it's pretty good aside from that? I know I'm missing some things, and my eye is still super untrained... but still.

I share, mostly because I think she's a-freakin-dorable... but I just straight up refuse to buy from that jerk of a seller...

#12,943 ·
My MG girl likely won't marble Aqua, all her brothers and sisters from Phusit exhibited the same exact colorations.

@Finn, It's extremely hard to find perfect form in DT's. There is still a lot wrong with that girl. Her topline is bumpy as you pointed out, not just at the dip but all over the topline. It should have more of a curve to it to be real nice. Fins shouldn't be spiked like that unless she's really a DTCT but there isn't enough web reduction. Yes, split needs to go all the way down to the body and have a clear separation, ventral's aren't quite full enough. The membrane stops about half way you can see, and then just the one point continues, it should be a whole knife shape. First ray in her dorsal fin is too stubby. Anal fin is too long. Her color is not that great either, she's a Multi color though so it's a little different.

#12,948 ·
Nah I saw you didn't refer to me as male, but just to clear up any misconceptions about my sex, I am definitely female last time I checked.

I find marbles always tend to marble out to the colour you least want. I used to purchase blue and white marbles and have them eventually turn solid blue with red wash.

Our transhipper here can be painfully slow to receive a reply from. I understand she must be busy as we only have the one in Australia, but it can be so frustrating when you want to know what's happening with your fish.

#12,949 ·
Honestly, for those of you who are or were horse people...the transhipper thing is giving me Farrier PTSD.

It's like you pay someone for the privilege of treating you poorly as a customer. You can be courteous, thoughtful, prompt in payment, and still--disrespect, discourtesy, and sometimes even dishonesty, in return.

#12,950 ·
are people likely to pay more if they know the transhipper will communicate better? Would that be a good incentive? I am curious, maybe we could encourage someone to become a transhipper for the right price.

*cough* maybe I should, I do live near a port... and none of my fish have died so far in shipping, though I'm terrified every time one goes out.

I still need to figure out what I'm going to do with all the fish I just imported, considering I was just cut to part time hours at work >_> I hate scaling back.

#12,951 ·
I don't know if folks would pay a huge chunk more. I'd personally be willing to pay a bit more--to just get what I was promised, in services.

I think it's likely kind of tough work for not a huge profit, but I may be wrong.

I'd never get it done--I'd be constantly oohing and aahing at everyone's pretty fish, be there all night, trying to get them out.

#12,955 · (Edited)
His coloring is gorgeous.. But the more I get to know about Betta's, the more I'm finding I dislike the loooong fins... Which, because I used to be like the masses, was my original main appeal to the breed.

Then I started learning. And then my extra long finned Finn started biting his burdens.. And then I started realizing... Man. These long long fins, or excessive fins, like that white rose tail up there, isn't as attractive to me anymore... I'm becoming more and more attracted to the plakats, now, too.

And while that boy up there is just stunning with gorgeous colors, he's crisp and clean looking and the balance in his coloring makes my ocd quite happy... But I wish he were a regular half-moon, or a HMPK... His fins aren't terrible long or excessive, I've seen much 'worse'... But I do agree with you. He'd be one amazing PK/HMPK... And he truly fits the name Galahad, which I want to be the next named fish of mine... So I'm looks for a Galahad in specific lol

Tho... If I was ever gonna try my hand at breeding... I'd pick him and a PK/HMPK female... See if I could produce a PK version lol

#12,958 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.