Betta Fish Forum banner

Looking to get a betta, first post here!

2K views 56 replies 14 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
So this will be my first thread! I would just like to say that I have been creeping these forums for a while now and I have been really looking forward to getting a Betta!! So I have my 5 gallon tank that I got from my cousin, but sadly it didn't have a lid so I made one out of chicken wire:

And I was curious if anyone could give me any tips as to what to buy next! I am looking to go buy my Betta tomorrow along with the suitable accessories. I have a bubbler, I have aquarium salt, I will be buying a heater. Should I buy a filter? What else would I need and what would make our (the fish and I) lives easier?

I would love to hear what everyone here has to say! I understand and I have read the other threads about betta homes and such, but I'd really like to hear from you individually and perhaps get to become part of this community!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of bettas! Your list looks good so far, but be sure to get some water conditioner/dechlorinator and use it when you first add water and then every time you do water changes.

I'm relatively new here myself, but many here will say that with a 5 gallon it's easier to get a filter and cycle the tank. This cuts down on the number & percentage of water changes you need to do each week. Here's a link to the sticky about cycling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

And here's a link to the sticky about general betta care what can five you some ideas about equipment you might need: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that bettas like to feel secure and a big, open tank can be a scary place. Some plants (live need light, but soft silk plants are also nice) and maybe a "cave" of some sort so he can hide if he gets afraid.

I'm sure others with more experience can chime in with more/better advice.

#3 ·
Ack!! Welcome!

Your fish will be very happy in his new home. Put some gravel in there, some caves, a lot of plants, driftwood, some live plants.. Anything you want. A filter would be a good idea but I have NO idea about cycling and since you're getting your fish tomorrow it might be an in-tank cycle or something. blargh, I don't know.

The gaps in the chicken wire might accommodate an escapee. Some jumping bettas have been known to jump out of smaller holes. Keep your eye on that!

#4 ·
Welcome! Everyone is helpful here, I'm sure you'll know everything you'll need to. Laki and sparkyjoe gave the info. I would give. :) Make sure to post pics of your new Betta. :D

#5 ·
Since I won't be able to cycle the water since I have no testing kit, could I just put in a live plant to help reduce the amonia?

#6 ·
I'm sort of getting the hang of setting up tanks quickly, so here's my checklist:

- heater
- thermometer
- filter, because trust me, anything above three gallons is REALLY ANNOYING to do 50 and 100% water changes on. This'll enable you to do a fish-in cycle.
- water conditioner
- silk plants, or real plants if you're up for that! A good rule of thumb for silk plants is that you should be able to run a nylon against them and not have it tear. They should be specifically labelled as silk.
- gravel/substrate is only mandatory if you want live plants. I have a few bare-bottom tanks and a few with gravel, and a couple that just have coloured stones scattered around the bottom-- it's up to you!
- a hidey-place or two. If you can't find any caves/hidey-holes in the petstore that you like, or that seem smooth enough, new never-been-in-the-dishwasher coffee mugs or terra cotta pots work well!

Also useful to have:
- water test kit-- with vials, not strips, usually about $35 (this'll be for the cycle, and they last forever so you can use it on future tanks too!)
- a 1 gallon bucket/bowl/somethingorother that hasn't been used for anything else, which you can use for water changes.

In terms of your lid, if you're worried about jumping, you can just opt to keep the water level down a couple of inches from the black rim to discourage it too.

Also: welcome! :) I'd love to see pictures of your new betta once you pick one out.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm a new user myself, but I've been using this website for over 2 years. Here are somethings that are necessary for a happy and healthy betta.
1) Filter- there are many different types, but I would go with one that has a adjustable water flow thing.
2)Gravel- These is optional, but it make the aquarium look a LOT nicer and some benficial bacteria grows in it.
3) Plants- Live or fake, take your pick. Live plants might be a little bit more of a hassle, but they can add oxygen into your tank.
4) Caves- Your betta will be timid at first, so he'll need some place to hide!
5) Thermometer
Thats all I can think of. Happy fish keeping! :D

#9 ·
Don't use a live plant unless you plan on taking care of it as well. Without a testing the water, you'd only be giving yourself false comfort and not really know if the ammonia levels are safe or not. Definitely get a testing kit. They are cheap and in a tank so big you'll need one.

I wouldn't trust chicken wire so big. I'd be afraid that my fish would jump and get caught in it, dying slowly while I'm not around.

#10 ·
Well it's all I have in terms of someway of keeping him from jumping. I can just not fill the tank as much?

Just bought the filter: Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filter
My floating thermometer, along with some black gravel. I'll be delaying the acquisition of the fish for a day or two to allow myself to by all of his necessities.

#12 ·
Nice set-up! ^.^ Black gravel in my experience REALLY makes the colors bounce. My Bowser (in avatar) seems ultra red against his black gravel ^.^

Not all plants are high maintenance! Trust me, if I can keep java fern and marimo moss alive ANYBODY can!! And they're such easy beginner plants, don't require special light or fertilizers. They keep ammonia levels safe (well, my tanks are changed every couple of days so I'm actually worried about ammonia)

Can't wait to see what fish you get! Are there any fish you noticed while out that you really like? I find myself thinking about bettas a lot, even when my mom was getting one I was thinking about all the colors there would be and what colors would go with the tank and accessories she got !! lol

#20 ·
Rather than the chicken wire, which everyone has pointed out the issues with, why not use clingfilm/gladwrap/whatever it is called in Canada? No little gaps for bettas to jump out that way. :)
Alternatively, I believe Olympia has made a lid out of plastic cardboard.

#21 ·
I am actually planning on coating the chicken wire with something to prevent the gaps being accessible to my future fish. But I really do appreciate the help! It was kind of an off the top of my head kind of idea, but as I go along I shall be looking at other materials.

#22 ·
:D I don't know about Prime (I'm also in Canada) I use Nutrafin (I think) which is what the stores use. I bought it with my first fish bc they were using it and I didn't want to change it too abruptly. I also have Tetra in a yellow bottle but I feel like I'm pouring vegetable oil in the water with each use!! It's so thick!!

#23 ·
Have you tried Petcetera? They have a store in each province except Quebec. WHy must you always be so difficult and different, Quebec? V_V Bleh.

Anywho, I am sure you can order Prime online. I would recommend it over all other conditioners just because it saved my Fabio's life. Stupid Champlain Lake water was killing the poor guy....

#25 ·
Well I got most of the rest of the stuff, no decorations i.e. plants or hiding spots. They were outside of my budget so I'm going to see what I have around my house.

Him in his cup at the bus stop:

Him in his temporary bowl while his tank is setup:

His new tank:

#27 ·
Yes I did, my Fiance has one with a white/red body with really bright red fins named Rocket, and since mine's a darker blue, with lighter blue going to his fins, he reminds me of a comet with its ice tail shooting through space.

So meet Comet!

#31 ·
I received a betta for Christmas 2011. I went and got all the necessities (10 gal tank, heater, filter, etc . etc.).

After awhile, just having a Betta fish got boring, so I got some Tetras and a Snail.

The Tetra are skiddish around the Betta and the Betta constantly eats the food I give to the snail, even vegetables.

I guess every Betta has its own personality and I got a slightly annoying one ; ) hee hee.

So, just be wary if you get tank mates.

#33 ·
Yeah he loves the mug now that he found it won't eat him. I'll be adding some more stuff as money comes in.

Of course I cleaned it. It's never been used for one, 2 I ran searing hot water on it and soaked it for a bit before putting it in there, dried it off and then put it in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.