Betta Fish Forum banner

Too scared to put fish in new tank! :(

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hikari 
#1 ·
I've had this new 5 gallon tank for a week and a half now. I've cleaned it at least 4 times, rinsing all the gravel and decor as well. I've set the heater so it'll be the perfect temperature. So I know this will sound really stupid, but I just feel too scared to put my betta in the tank. Every single day I plan to finally do it, then end up chickening out. Either I think the heater will suddenly raise the temperature too high, or I feel the tank is not clean enough. I've read some posts online by people saying their betta died when they put it in a new tank, and it's got me really stressed out.

Today I was suppose to definitely go through with it, but lo and behold, I once again backed out of it because I was having trouble keeping the decorations rooted into the gravel while I was pouring the water in, and thought that my hands contaminated the water when I was messing with them. I know I'm being paranoid, but I really love this fish, and I just don't want to lose him. He's the only pet I have left since my kitty died a few months ago. I just couldn't handle another pet death, and I would feel so guilty if he died, or even got sick, because of something I did.

Encouragement please! Can anyone relate, or am I the only one who freaks out like this? :|

#2 ·
I feel the same way with a new tank, especially my 5g that my first two boys died in. What I do now is rinse everything off in hot water and set up like I'm doing a 100% water change. Fill and get perfect and move the betta over. And then watch him like a hawk until I feel better. I have never had mine die from a new tank or being upgraded. Good luck!

#4 ·
I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one scared about this! :)

I have rinsed the tank out with hot water and scrubbed it with a sponge. I also have washed all the gravel and decor with boiling hot water. I really hope this is enough to disinfect everything. I actually have water sitting in the tank right now, and have for the entire week while testing out the heater. I will change it out tomorrow, replace it with new water, and try once again!

#5 ·
I was so excited when I finally got to move my fish into their larger split tank! But that was because I knew in the long run they would undergo less water changes and be less likely to really be stressed out because they would be more consistently heated and the tank was already cycled. Plus since the tank was planted, even though I was worried about parasites because I saw little wormies and such in the tank, I knew they would have so much to explore (and eat!).
So far it has been great! Other than my tail biter still biting... Guess you can't teach an old fish new tricks! Otherwise it has been wonderful. I couldn't go back.

#6 ·
I actually also feel excited about moving him because I know he'll love his nice big tank, and all the new little toys I bought him. ^^ And I'm moving him into the basement where I spend most my time, so I can give him much more attention. The thing is I'm also terrified of something going wrong, so my emotions are really mixed. Whenever I plan to move him, the nervousness and stress takes over, so I've just been unable to go through with it as of yet. But tomorrow for sure (I hope!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.