Betta Fish Forum banner

Fenris - Updates

3K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  Enkil 
#1 ·
Fenris is getting so big now! Last time I measured him, he was standing at 13.5 inches at the shoulder and that was a few weeks ago! All his sibblings are shorter (more around 11 inches).

His training:
He sits on command instantly! Such a good pup. He learned this one very quickly. Within an hour. We practice it several times a day to keep him up on it and use it with teaching other commands.
Fenris has also learned to lay down on command. This one took a bit more time, but he is very good about it now.
He is now learning the following commands: leave it, off, stay, wait.
We are also working on his leash manners. So far, with just an ordinary collar and leash. I am using several techniques to teach him proper manners. However, I am always open to input on training methods as every dog is unique.

He is, of course, up to date on his shots. He got his rabies this past week. Next month we plan on taking him in to be neutered. He will be so long as he is not allergic to the anesthesia. He will also be micro-chipped at that time.

I do plan on entering him into an obedience class. Looking out for ones that administer the Canine Good Citizen Test at the end. After that, I will be ordering his vest and he will start his public access training.

If anyone is interested in pictures of him, I have plenty. XD He is too cute not to take pics of.

See less See more
#30 ·
Thank you. ^_^
I had thought about cropping his ears. Not too short mind you. I've seen a lot with their ears done too short. I fell in love with this cute way he perks his ears. I'm going to have to try to get a picture of him doing it. It's absolutely adorable!

I honestly didn't think I would find myself with any kind of bully after loosing my last one. I was actually hoping to find an American Bulldog. See, the last dog that won over my heart completely was out of an American Bulldog mother and wolf hybrid (2 kinds of wolf crossed) father. Didn't want him when he was handed to me, looking completely like a wolf pup. Was told he was mine and named Talon. Little thing melted my heart by then licking the tip of my nose. I was hooked after that. Did a lot of training with him. Unfortunately, I was forced to rehome him. Found him a nice family with kids and a farm.

#31 ·
It never is easy to rehome. Not one bit. :<
And I hear you on the rat vet, my sister had a hard time finding one for her rats. The most common mistake vets make is treating small animals like cats. -_-"
Fenris <3 I'd love to squeeze him into a great big hug!
By the way, your names are all Nordic or something. Where did you come up with your pets names? I like them! (I noticed Odin, my sister named her betta Odin after some Nordic something)

#33 ·
Oh, I love explaining my names. ^_^

Enkil - I actually am using this from one of my novels, in which it is the name of a place.

Odin - Norse God
Fenris - Also known as Fenrir. Monstrous wolf.
Freydis - Female Viking
Egil - Male Viking
Leonidas - Spartan king
Lolth - I read a lot of R. A. Salvatore. This is the name of the drow goddess.
Fflur - I also read a lot of Laurell K. Hamilton. This is from her Merry Gentry series.
Gywnfor - Same as Fflur. RIP
Eva - Friend named
Sholto - Same as Fflur
Doyle - Same as Fflur
Frost - Same as Fflur
Uther - Same as Fflur

Fenris takes hugging very well. ^_^ I also have 2 types of depression. Between that and the need for comfort after a panic attack or flashback... I have had him in my lap quite a few times to hug and cry on. He sits there very nicely. Will even lick my face and rest his head on my shoulder or arm.

#36 ·
Agreed that not all vets are the same as that one. I should know that better than anyone; I own rats. Try finding a vet that gives two hoots about THEM. So, please, stop bashing all vets because of an old wives' tale.
My vet loves rats... I took her in for a checkup, and my (wonderful) vet LOVED her. She said she hah had some before, and therefore let her scamper around the exam table and explore. They she picked her up to go take her to get her nails clipped, and sat little Socks on her shoulder.... Socks woulden't come off, even for her favorite snack...! Hope you found a good vet like mine! :p

#37 ·
Fenris is working on leash manners.

I was so proud of him last night! We took him with us to PetSmart to pick up more food. We met a couple who are obviously Bully people as they instantly noticed him and wanted to see him. The woman was pregnant. Fenris made her day by giving her lots of kisses. I was so proud because he was obviously very excited but refrained from jumping on her! He was so careful with her. His whole body was wiggling with his tail.

#39 ·
He has been very good with the roommate's two little girls today. So I gave him a smoked rolled pig skin as a reward. He licked at them but didn't jump. So he's definitely getting better with his manners. So very proud of him. Pulls on the leash still. Working on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.