Betta Fish Forum banner

Red Cherry Shrimp

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  carbonxxkidd 
#1 ·
I just ordered some RCS from theshrimpfarm.com. Just wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to acclimate them to my tank when I get them next week?

I ordered some amanos from this place in January and I used a drip acclimation, it worked and they are all doing well but it was kind of a pain to do...if there's an easier way that'd be awesome... Thanks!

I bought them to live in my NPT with the betta in my avatar. He totally ignored the ghost shrimp I put in there with him, but they all died (thanks Petsmart) and weren't really the type of shrimp for NPT life anyway. Hoping the RCS do well and he leaves them alone too...

#2 ·
Yes drip acclimate should always be used with shrimp because they are delicate.

Normally it's an hour but if they're being shipped, I'd take a 2 hour acclimation to be safe :) it will help them relax too before they go in.

#3 ·
I'm pretty sure I let my amanos go for two hours. I actually had bought 5 and put 4 in my sorority and 1 in my NPT...the NPT one didn't make it. Almost wondering if it was because he was all by himself...but it was probably because I acclimated them to the sorority tank and not the NPT. The other 4 are doing great though, 2 females who are constantly carrying eggs! Hope the RCS work out, they look so cute!

#4 ·
Make sure you add a drop of Prime or what ever you use to the bag as soon as you open it. The link below explains why.

I use the first method described in the link with all types of inverts: shrimp, Dwarf Crayfish and Thai Micro Crabs. I've had minimal loss of RCS and 100% success with crayfish and crabs. I say "minimal" because I get 20-40 at a time and it's hard to tell when adding to an existing population in a heavily-planted tank.

However, if you had success with drip acclimation, I'd do as lilnaugrim suggests.

http://msjinkzd.com/news/acclimating-your-shipped-fish-or-invertebrates-to-their-new-tank/

Not to defend PetSmart, but poor Ghost shrimp are feeder shrimp and raised in a way that doesn't lead to being healthy. I've had a lot better luck with RCS and Blue Velvets than I ever had with Ghosties.

#6 ·
Well I got my shrimp. 2 were DOA, but the rest acclimated well and have been released into the tank. There were even a bunch of babies in the bag, so that makes up for the dead ones (if they survive).

August is pretty interested in them...he constantly flares at himself and I think because they are similar in color to him he's not a big fan. BUT I have a ton of plants and hiding spaces in the tank where August can't go, so I think they'll be fine. He only seems to notice if one is out in the open, otherwise hasn't really gone hunting for them yet. He totally ignored the ghosties and the snails so hoping for the best. They are so bright and so cute - hope they live!

#8 ·
I can't wait until I can get some shirmp! My mom and sister think they're ugly and creepy, but I think they're adorable! I kind of want to see about a colony of different colored neos. I love the orange and blue ones, and the greens are pretty cool too.

#13 ·
It's a NPT and everything is at 0 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). I'm pretty sure it was more the stress from shipping than anything else. They do have a ton of hiding spaces (they seem to love my subswassertang) and are SUPER bright now...they were red when they arrived but now they are twice as red. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.