Betta Fish Forum banner

What live plants work well in betta tanks?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  bunnysaur 
#1 ·
Turns out my betta, Arty loves his plants, but the plants don't love him and are hurting his fins. So... I'm removing them. Any recommendations of live plants that work well for a betta? He already has a moss ball. I'm thinking more along the lines of something that would provide some hiding or resting space. Also, how easy are live aquarium plants to deal with/care for? He's in a 2.5 gal aquarium right now.

#2 ·
It depends on your lighting, but plants that are sure bets in any lighting and are totally safe and good for bettas are anubias varieties. They are also very easy to find - I got a lot of mine just from those tubes at Petco/smart. It comes in a lot of different leaf shapes too. You can even leave them floating because they really don't need to feed much from their roots. I have them in all of my tanks. You can also often find water wisteria in those tubes which is easy to grow and gets tall, so it's a good plant to provide good cover.

Other plants that come to mind are java ferns (people love these, but min always die), cryptocorynes - also come in a huge variety of leaf shapes and colors, hornwort, moneywort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.