Betta Fish Forum banner

So tell me about the moss balls

782 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Badjer 
#1 ·
What exactly are they? What are they for? Do I really need one?

I'm talking about the moss balls that are sold next to the bettas in little cups.

#2 ·
you know I got one cuz I heard my bettas will play wit it and it would move around the tank. it doesn't move at all and my bettas don't even know its there. I paid 9 dollars for it and I wish I would have gotten something else instead... Lots of other people have em and love em but to me it was a waste. I think there is a thread that tells you all about them on this site...

#4 ·
These are Marimo Moss balls, and are actually a type of algae. They are low light plants, and require virtually no care. Once a week you just grab them out of the tank, squeeze them out to clear out any yucky stuff, and roll like a ball of clay to help them hold their round shape. They have a very nice texture, like velvet, and aren't in the least bit slimy. Some bettas will nip at them or rest on them, but like anything else some bettas like them and some could care less. Regardless, I think they're a great bigger plant and are very cool to look at!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.