Betta Fish Forum banner

I just want a new pet

6K views 82 replies 26 participants last post by  Curlyfatbottom 
#1 ·
Whats a cheap pet?

#51 ·
That was a really interesting article copper, even for someone who doesn't have a bird like me. I love animal nutrition.
It's really sad, most pet stores will try and sell garbage food for pretty much all your pets :/ on the other hand, the seed I feed my wild birds must be fresh cause it's always sprouting in the feeder after it rains xD
I found that weird that toucans need distilled water cause they can't have iron o.o good to know though since a toucan/aracari is one of my life goals :D

#52 ·
My mom has a blue Parakeet. He is a chatter box. My dad has a turkey call thing and is trying to teach him how to make turkey noises. Ugh. Glad I am not my mom. He is skittish though and they have had him for a month. I tell you what I would suggest. A Pacman frog. The setup is within your range and they eat live crickets and worms and such. They are neat and I wish had another.

#53 ·
p.s. my mother just texted me to tell you everything she got for him was less than a hundred over here in Ohio. Don't know about where you are from. She got him a huge cage and tons of toys and a fuzzy bed thing for under a hundred.

#57 ·
Thank you! I am in Cali so the setup would probably be more new but I'm thinking about getting a used setup and disinfecting it. I like the way pacman frogs look but I'm really looking for more of a little companion, and I think it kinda hurts frogs to touch them. (At least a lot)

#54 ·
Yeah, I can agree with the noise thing. My best friend in high school had budgies, and they were ALWAYS chattering. Until you put the blanket over the cage, lol

#58 ·
You know what though? Now I am kind of worried about how much noise he will make....Do they chirp all day long? Are they quiet at night? Will I be able to watch T.V. in my room in peace ever? I have to keep him in my room...

#59 ·
If your room is small, I wouldn't put him in there.
Birds cause a lot of dander and you wouldn't want to get something like bird lung disease.
However it is just one budgie. o-o

#60 ·
Oh it's actually a huge room lol. My boyfriend and I have our full bed in there, then about 8 feet of nothing, then the bulky tv lol. It's bigger than some living rooms I've seen

#62 ·
Yeah, apparently I won't be asking for opinions on this forum anymore because people like to give rude and assuming responses.
Most pet forums are like that - I got banned from a dog forum because one summer when I was not home my boyfriend too the liberty of shaving my dog and dying him with pet safe dye, to make him look like a pokemon

#63 ·
Wow really? That not even bad though! Pet safe dye doesn't hurt the dag and they don't care what color they are lol.

Did he look like a growlithe? lol :lol:

#64 ·
how about turtle? i caught one (theyre normally only about $5) and i just fed it about a half a hotdog every few days (it was only a baby, but you wont need to feed them much) once they get bigger it will need to be daily, aswell as pellets, or reptile food. and as a cage the set-up is very simple. you can get a 30 gallon storage bin ($3), just fill it about 3 inches of water, and make about a third of it land. switch the water out every few days (more frequently as it grows) also WARNING do not feed it on land, it may cause them to choke. very inexpensive pets, about $8-$10 a week unless you want a more "fancy" set-up such as filters, it really doesnt need it though

btw i have 2 rats for pets (3 to feed my snake) they actually make extremely good pets, mine are anmed ziggy, and marley and marley just got pregnant :D!

well good luck with the turtle
fishman1126

#65 ·
Turtles are HIGH maintenance animals that require expensive set ups.
I'm not going to start because finn mentioned nothing about turtles.
But I highly encourage you to watch this graphic gif about side effects of inproper care, diet, UVA/UVB lighting requirements and filtration. >-< sorry but I just am really defensive for turtles, so many people ruin their lives unintentionally.Neglected Turtle.

#66 ·
OMG that was hard to look at :x Poor baby. I can't believe the little trooper lived for 20 years! I think tortoises are cool and all, but they require a wayyyyy too expensive set for me to handle right now, plus I don't have the space /:

#67 ·
Yup, hardy like betta, just the damage is way easier to see on them. :/
Anyways, you weren't even talking about getting a turtle, I'm just worried if fishman has one in those conditions. Hot dog is probably the worst thing you can feed a turtle x.x

#68 ·
What you said about Pacman frogs rings true. You can't handle them because their skin is sensitive. Plus they get like.... eight inches long at full growth and they have teeth and do bite. My moms bird chirps almost all day but I believe he is quiet at night. I think you have to cover their cage. Not sure though.

#70 ·
Just a warning about budgies, Like Copper said, unless you get a hand fed baby you might be a little disappointed in their affection level.

I got a very young budgie from a pet store by my house because I missed having them. (I used to breed them.) They ARE chatty. Budgies make quite a bit of noise, if you go with a single budgie you will have to spend a lot of time with it, working with it because you will be its flock. If you don't spend a lot of time with him he won't be affectionate and will probably be quite sad because he would feel alone with no flock. They fly pretty well, even with clipped wings, so if you open windows with no screens or have other pets be aware of this. They can very easily break their neck if spooked and they fly against a window or wall too. They do poop quite a bit too, so keep this in mind. Their poops are small but they produce quite a few! (especially it seems where you don't want them to LOL)

If you like birds though they do make great pets, I like their calling and chatter. If I were you i'd find good budgie\bird websites and research a lot. They also smell like fresh hay... I love how they smell lol (Each parrot/bird has a different scent- I know that was kind of random, but seriously budgies smell wonderful LOL) If I remember correctly they live about 10 years? - Don't quote me on that though it might be longer/shorter?

I know this is going to sound silly to some people, but our ring neck dove is probably the best bird around. (Pet wise) They don't bite, they walk around on the floor, sit on your finger, their calls are nice and relaxing, Ours lets you scratch her head and she isn't too skittish. She "be-bops" around the floor investigating when I get her in a safe room away from the dogs. They are good with kids. (as long as the kids are good with birds, otherwise the kids could kill or hurt them!!!!!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring-necked_Dove

If you can get over them not being as beautiful as a budgie.

Anyway good luck making your decision, and happy researching!

Both are great birds, I am not sure what exactly your looking for, but at least look up doves, they are often overlooked and are so so so sweet.

#71 ·
Well are you leaning towards any specific sort of pet? sounds like you want something you can hold or interact with daily, like hands on. I would love a ferret myself but I'm pretty sure you cant have them there which is ridiculous, But anyway, I had parakeets/ budgies when I was in my teens, they are great little pets just get them very young and have patients with them, you have to let them warm up to you, never reach in the cage and grab them that is there home and they feel safe there you dont want to intrude I used to let them fly around and get exercise just make sure all windows and doors are closed, I lost one that way, cover them at night and they are quiet, when they see the sun up they do get chatty, if you like to sleep in in the mourning you dont want one in your room. I've also had Cockatiels and they wer very affectionate but require the same patients and are less noisey,. I like finchs but they are not as hands on.

#74 ·
I'm thinking about maybe a cockatiel now...Are they more affectionate than budgies?

#72 ·
Not sure if you decided certainly on a pet, but you want something small, quiet, inexpensive and good with handling, correct? I highly reccomend leopard geckos. They haven't been mentioned yet. :) Thought I'd throw my 2 bit in. I have 2 leopard geckos, and they don't make a sound except when they sneeze, which is quite adorable. They are active and there are hundreds of unique morphs and colors. Most are fairly cheap, with the actual animal costing $30-60 from a reptile expo or store, and the designer geckos run more expensive but are much more unique. The tank costs $30, decor is usually $30 and a heat mat is $20 but you can improvise alot! :) They eat worms and crickets but mealworms can be refridgerated, very handy. :) If you handle them often they love to come out and explore. Mine are very fond of mazes. :) Just a thought! I probably spent $80 on initial setup for one gecko, $120 on the next because I needed to upgrade to a new tank, get a few more decorations and the actual gecko. :) Not so bad.
A ten gallon tank is fine for one gecko.

Attachments

#73 ·
Thats an awesome picture, looks like hes winking at ya, lol. Although I've never had one I hear they make awesome pets, I think most people think of them as put in a tank and dont touch but they do deserve a look at and consideration.
Nice pet you have there Bettaluver.

#75 ·
IMO yes the cockatiel I had was more affectionate , you also want to make sure you get one that is Hand Raised, this means they have been touched and feed by hand since they were born, they are more friendly to humans. I never had luck teaching him to talk but he did do a number of different whistles.

#76 ·
Just want to say ... my only experience with budgies were the ones at my friend's house. They would chatter all day unless you threw a towel over them, the little buggers.

#81 ·
No I don't have him yet, but I have him picked out from my LBS. I want to wait and see if I get this job for sure, you know?

#82 ·
with the cockatiels
don't bother with pet store bird
there price is outrages
find a breed and buy them off them
normal gray should be 15-25 each
hand feed 40-60 each
price goes up with the different mutation and color
lifespan 15-20 year
silver whiteface are my favorite

with the american budgie you rather get one that young male and not hand feed
they nip less they
with the american budgie($5-$8 from a breeder)
they don't live that long
7-12 years
plus they cost less then there english cousin(15-100+ from breeder)
don't bit as much or hard
bigger bird
don't sing as much
but the down fall is that they only live a short live compare to there cousin
4-8 years
these bird have different color mutation but the price don't really change as much
unless it a new trait which no one have
but with the mutation the price kind of jump
crested and fellow are my favorite in budgie

how about button quail
if you get them young enough they will follow you around and let you pet them
live for about 5 year
cost you less to feed
not as nosy as the first two

#83 ·
or a small rooster bantam
they make great pet to
my little brother have one that crow when you toss him to a branch
let you catch him and he's free roam
7+ year

diamond dove
wait up in never got one to be hand tame(more like i haven't try)
7+year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.