Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

I think it's the dwarf gourami that add bits of plants to their bubblenests. Very odd behaviour. Sort of reminds me of a bower bird.

Too bad you didn't get a video!
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #12 
zombieaddict

I know! I was painting the stand for the 65gallon tank I'm working on when it happened and my hands were all mucked up or I would have. If I catch him at it again, I'll definitely have to get a video. He's definitely claimed that clump of water sprite as his own though.

Last edited by zombieaddict; 11-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #13 
zombieaddict

I got a video of him messing with his nest today but he's not moving the java moss around like he was. He darts out of the shot a couple times to run off the girls when they get too close and notices me once, so he comes to the front of the tank expecting food. But otherwise this is a video of a happy nest making dwarf gourami:

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/stra...186d2.mp4.html
Old 11-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #14 
Elsewhere

Aw, that video was so adorable! You have a very cute little guy, Zombieaddict!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #15 
zombieaddict

He is pretty cute. I'm thinking of naming him King of Hearts to continue the Wonderland theme that I've adopted with my bettas Cheshire and Absolem.

I love the first time King darts out of the video and then you see bubbles come up from where he runs one of the girls off. I want to add some more plants and I'm waiting for the ones in the tank to grow so the ladies have a cozy place to call their own. They stay out of King's way well enough but at feeding time the filter pushes the food toward his nest and everyone pecking at his doorstep makes him very flustered.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #16 
sponge1234

Hello! I love gouramis! I have 2 titanium, and 1 gold. They are so full of personality! Anybody know about licorice gouramis with H.formosa? Both of these are on my bucket list and I have a spare 10 gallon hanging around.
sponge1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

If they can adapt to quite soft and acidic water (SeriouslyFish is saying a preferred pH of 7-8.0 while liquorice gourami are most likely going to want a pH below 6), then they may make an appropriate tankmate for liquorice gourami. However, liquorice gourami can be quite shy and reclusive so I'm not sure if the presence of other fish will make them more confident or even more retiring.

Usually those kinds of fish that are sensitive and have specific needs are recommended for species only tanks as that way you are not trying to compromise between the needs of one species and the needs of another.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #18 
sponge1234

Oh. Then the liquorice gouramis are not for me, I have very hard water and can't dilute with RO water
sponge1234 is offline   Reply With Quote