Betta Fish Forum banner

Planted Tank Show and Tell!!

612K views 3K replies 499 participants last post by  Dobby 
#1 ·
Lately I have noticed a lot of people showing off their planted tanks, figured it might be a good idea to have them all in one place.
Also, I am trying to get some ideas for rescaping my 26 bowfront sorority. I'd love to see everyone else's tanks and find out what all you have going on with them!

Reactions: mjfa
#943 ·
It's going to look great JDragon! 8D

#945 · (Edited)
Got my new driftwood and plants in, so did some updating. Here's m 5 gallon. Have my baby betta, Nameless, in this tank, along with some CPDs and couple of male guppies. Need to add some water, but otherwise looking good. Going to be switching the light fixture to a Finnex Planted+ in a few days, and taking the lamp to double up on my 10 gallon and see how it grows.

The 10 gallon with some new plantings, too. About a week ago I also changed the filter I was using on this tank. I had both a Whisper 10i and a Tom Mini Rapids Canister on this tank, and they were *not* doing a good job. The tank was consistently murky and had a ton of particulates in the water :-? I had Purigen in the canister, too. So I switched to an AquaClear 20, and it's really cleared up now. Looks the best it has looked since I started the tank. I did have to baffle the filter with a soap dish and pebbles baffle, and that worked great. Merlot is a happy betta :)

Soap dish baffle. Holding some cuttings in there until I figure out what to do with them.

#947 · (Edited)
Here are my two tanks (both 20liters), I know its not much, but I think my Betta is going to like the empty one :3. I put him in my "emergency tank" because I want to acclimatize the shrimps first..

Here's the first tank (empty one)

My Betta :3

And Here's the other tank (my betta's current home)

#954 ·
So here's my micro NPT. It's just a betta cup but I thought it'd be cute. There's 2 java fern babies, a little hornwort stem, and some riccia moss. I've got a couple bladder snails I pulled off my petsmart plants, some baby mystery snails the size of a pinhead and a few brine shrimp/seamonkeys that came off my plants too. I dont like killing things so I keep them :)

Attachments

#958 ·
Thank you!! Actually just scaped it fully yesterday.

Plant list:
Anubas (not sure which kind)
Java Fern
Staurogyne Repens (foreground)
2 Moss Balls
And corner plants have slipped my mind at this moment.

Inhabitants:
5 Female Bettas
5 Endler Guppies
26 Ghost Shrimp (overkill I know lol)
1 Oto

Had all 5 of these girls in a Fluval Spec V and this tank was going to be Red Cherry Shrimp but I decided that all I'm going to keep are bettas so I moved them into their new home. They seem to like it!

#961 ·
Updated tank + plants :

Marimo moss
Java moss
Java fern
Dwarf anubias
Asian ambulia
Salvinia
Water lettuce
Jungle val
Hornwort
"lucky" bamboo
Anacharis (tiny stems)
and
Silk pothos :-D

Attachments

#964 ·
So I am officially addicted to NPT soil based tanks! I have 2 - 5g tanks already set up and last night I switched over my 10g! The tank is filtered, heated, and has 2 CFL 6500K 13 watt bulbs.

I got a plant package from Peachii plus used a couple clippings from my other NPTs. Not 100% sure on all the plants yet (going to message Peachii to get a few names ;-)) but here is what I do know...

2 stems wisteria (1 upright and 1 pinned down to try a method that I read about in the planted forum to propagate faster stems)
8 stems rotala split in 2 areas
5 stems ludwigia
1 stem Brazilian penny wort
1 radican sword plantlet
7 pygmy chain sword plantlets
5 stems myrio filigree
2 stems unknown pinkish plant in front right corner near rotala
4 stems unknown plant (2 in front of the driftwood pieces)
2 stems unknown tallish plant between the pennywort and the myrio
1 anubias tied to driftwood
1 java fern tied to driftwood (with babies on leaves yay!)
1 clump of unknown moss tied to fake tunnel
And a bunch of assorted floaters

Not sure if I missed any because there was so much. And you should see what I have left for the 29g (got a 2nd package from Peachii for that big boy). Speaking of which that is going to be my project after work today! Oh boy!

I do think I am going to take the backing paper off (it was there for when the tank was divided and silk plants to add a little something but now...) as that will give it a more natural look as it grows in.

I am so impatient on all my tanks - I just want them to be little mini jungles! :-D

Attachments

#974 ·
Little update, had to trim the amazon sword due to melting leaves, it's starting to regrow though and should fill in the background within a few weeks.
What type of tank is this? I love it!

#969 ·

After 4 hours of back breaking effort, I finally got my 29g at work broken down and re-setup as a NPT. I wont lie, I really like how it ended up!! Now if only my new light fixture would get here already…I think it will be in tomorrow though so that’s good!

Okay, so here is the 29g before the make over…not very pleasing to look at:

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

And here is the final product sans better lighting:

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Apple pie Aquarium lighting

Plant Line Up (again some of these I am not overly sure on but think I am getting it down now thanks to Peachii’s help :-D )

3 stems wisteria (trims from Dusty’s tank)
3 long stems of Dwarf Sag (I think that is what it is and not jungle val…)
8 Stems Hygro Green
5 Stems elodea/anacharis (4 from previously and 1 from Peachii)
2 Java Ferns (attached to large driftwood)
1 Anubias (attached to small driftwood)
1 Large Radian Sword (had)
1 Radian Sword Plantlet (had)
1 Medium Amazon Sword (had)
1 Amazon Sword Plantlet
5 or so chain sword/dwarf sag plantlets (got them mixed together – whoops)
5 Stems Creeping Jenny (had already bought)
10+ stems Rotala (broken into 2 bunches on right side) (had)
1 stem Alternathera reineckii roseafolia
1 stem Alternathera reineckii – scarlet temple
6 Stems Myrio filigree
2 stems hornwort
2 red dwarf lily bulbs (planted)

And goodness knows I might have forgotten something. ..:roll:

Right now just my one oto (yes I know they prefer larger groups but he was the only one that survived the trip when I bought them) is left in the tank. I took the other 17 fish to my sister’s 55g tank. They are all so much smaller than her other fish that you can’t even tell I added anything!

I will be going to the LFS Saturday and picking up RCS and nerites for the 29g. I will be waiting a while to add a sorority ... probably until close to when the new school year starts - assuming I can make myself wait that long ;-)

#971 ·
Gorgeous reno! Pretty soon you won't be able to list the quantity of your plants! lol They'll have grown and spread all over the place.

As for RCS, they will POP on your black substrate. Pick out the reddest ones!
Thanks Laki! Trying to remember all the current plants was hard enough, I can't imagine doing it when it starts to grow in lol :shock:

I can't wait to get a colony of RCS breeding in this tank! A little worried they will become "fish food" when I add a sorority in the future but I made sure there were lots of shrimpie hiding places so that they will stand a chance ;-)

#973 ·
My favorite tank. <3 Sardine is the name of my betta. ;)

#975 ·
Think of the shrimp as self sufficient. Mama lays so may minis that if a few become food there are still survivors. They're hiding experts, I have 4 adult males but I thought I only had 1 for months! Never saw the others at all, even looking for them.

Beautiful tanks! I love sardine's tank!

#978 ·
So I ended up pulling off the backing paper off my 10g NPT I set up on Wed and I like the look much better. More natural for sure. I am starting to see growth already, especially in the pennywort, green hygro, and lobelia. It still looks bare to me which I dislike. I am torn between just letting it fill in in its own or maybe buying another bunch of stems when I go to the LFS to pick up my nerites tomorrow...they do have lovely Creeping Jenny for $2.50...

Here is the tank with the backing paper taken off:

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

That is what I was hoping for! I was
A bit bummed because my order of red cherry shrimp didn't come in and my LFS isn't sure when more will be on hand. However, I saw the post by Sally M in the classified forum and will be having 24 shipped to me for $20 less than what I was going to buy 15 for! Can't beat that deal! So about 5 wil got to my 10g NPT at home and the rest will enjoy the 29g NPT at work :)