Betta Fish Forum banner

Planted Tank Show and Tell!!

612K views 3K replies 499 participants last post by  Dobby 
#1 ·
Lately I have noticed a lot of people showing off their planted tanks, figured it might be a good idea to have them all in one place.
Also, I am trying to get some ideas for rescaping my 26 bowfront sorority. I'd love to see everyone else's tanks and find out what all you have going on with them!

Reactions: mjfa
#1,321 ·
Here's my divided 10 gallon! I'm pretty close to done with the fishless cycle so I'm getting excited! The plants seem to be doing well but I'd like to consider diy CO2. I also want a glass top though, anyone know how much space I should leave open in the back to vent out the CO2?

The plants have already grown in a lot more, the aponogeton keeps sending out plantlets, like 4 at a time each and then the plantlets send out 2 each atleast! The tank isn't looking great from the cyling process though.

There is aponogeton, onion, melon sword, and ludwiga repens. I may be getting a lily bulb soon maybe?

#1,330 · (Edited)
Here's my divided 10 gallon! I'm pretty close to done with the fishless cycle so I'm getting excited! The plants seem to be doing well but I'd like to consider diy CO2. I also want a glass top though, anyone know how much space I should leave open in the back to vent out the CO2?

The plants have already grown in a lot more, the aponogeton keeps sending out plantlets, like 4 at a time each and then the plantlets send out 2 each atleast! The tank isn't looking great from the cyling process though.

There is aponogeton, onion, melon sword, and ludwiga repens. I may be getting a lily bulb soon maybe?
I wouldn't recommend getting into CO2. It's so complicated in the sense that you don't need it for a tank that bare. My tanks have plants EVERYWHERE yet there were never CO2 injections. I don't believe that you should get into CO2 even if you do get more plants.

Here are my heavily planted tanks that have never had CO2 introduced.

#1,322 ·
You don't have to leave any open space in the back. If you do, I wouldn't do anymore than an inch or just enough to fit your equipment.

#1,324 ·
What the secret to keep down algae? three of my tanks are fine but my one 5 gallon is getting algae like CRAZY. And its on the same time as my other tanks. 8 hours a day.

#1,325 ·
It depends on which algae it is. Each algae has it's cause like diatoms is an excess of silcates in the water. Green cloud algae is usually caused by too much light, BGA can be fixed with Potassium increase. Hairalgae can be fixed with H2O2 spot treatment and blackouts.

#1,326 ·
I am having more trouble with brown algae, diatoms. but I do see some BGA in there as well. =/

#1,331 ·
Best way to get rid of brown diatoms naturally is either otos or nerite snails.

#1,327 ·
Brown algae you can't really fix until the silcates run out which usually takes around 3-4 months. You just have to rub it off the plants every now an then preferably before a water change so you can suck it out.

As I said with BGA you can use either Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) spot treatment or Potassium spot treatment, SeaChem sells bottles of Potassium ferts that you can use. You can use a turkey baster to squirt a small bit onto the problem areas daily and it should go away in a week or two IIRC.

#1,328 · (Edited)
darnit! I was hoping the diatoms would go away with the H202 as well. I took out the BGA with the H202 in my other tank at least thats a plus. =) thanks

#1,329 ·
There are so many inspiring tank designs here. Wow, one day Ill try to manifest something just as grand as well. I guess I will show of my lil guys tank:

Im thinking about trying to coax some java moss to grow on the driftwood but for now I am pretty happy with it. It serves a purpose and my betta loves it!

#1,335 ·
my new 5 gallon planted tank where Gar now lives. =) the tank has a lot of growing to do. has two dwarf lilies, Anubius, narrow leaf amazon sword and Water Wisteria

And here is my 5 gallon split with my two Plakat boys, Anchovy, and Pike.

and my Spec 5 gallon tank with Sardine. I had to take out one of his larger snails, his tank was getting so messy. x_x

#1,336 ·
Very lovely tanks, Tree! They look gorgeous!

#1,343 ·
thanks =)

Wow, I especially like the first one with Gar!
thank you! still working on that one. I took out the large white rocks and added another small plant and peacock moss.

#1,339 ·
They're actually a form of algae and they're so pricey because of how long they take to grow, literally years to grow these little suckers but they are great additions for shrimp tanks especially. They don't do much more water quality since they aren't fast growing but if that is all that is in the tank then it will help to a degree. They like lots of flow preferably or to be turned over frequently as they originally come from a river type system where they are constantly being knocked about.

I have two of my own, had them for a year and they're roughly a quarter size now, it's nice to look at but nothing I'd intentinally buy for 8 bucks a larger moss ball.

Also a note, PetCo and some other stores sell "Moss" balls which are different, they are Java Moss that is wrapped around a foam core and look very different than regular Marimo's.

#1,344 ·
Hhhmmm
Thanks for the info on the marimo balls. The petsmart guy told me they're great for water quality. Being as my tanks are already planted, I didn't think they'd do much more. I never believe the pet store folks ;)
Always try to do research on everything. Lol

#1,345 · (Edited)
My boys tanks

In the first pic is Lir's 2.5 gallon minibow. about 2/3's of his tank is a lush jungle, and the other 1/3 is his precious pirate ship. He LOVES that ship! When he's not sleeping under his plants, his sleeping on his ship. I've also got a handful of floaters in there for him, and a moss wall growing on one side, and a java fern wandering around there somewhere. I LOVE his tank!

Second pic is Loki's 10 gallon that he has all to his lonesome (not counting his snail friends). He has a moss wall growing on one side, as well as a veritable jungle, tons of floating plants, a coconut with moss roof, and a pyramid which his snails love. (it reminds me of the pyramids from Stargate so I had to have it!)

The third picture is the 20 gallon long. It's a work in progress. As i trim from the 10 and 2.5 gallons, they get planted into the 20 gallon. I had about 50 cuttings to start it with, but split among 3 sections, it just isn't a lot of plants! There is also a coconut with moss roof, a few java ferns, driftwood, and a few floating plants. When I get the lighting right, I hope it turns into the jungle the other two tanks are.

Oh, and I just love seeing everyone's tanks! I spent over an hour on here yesterday just looking at all the fun tanks! (and still got nowhere near the end!)

Attachments

#1,347 ·
In the first pic is Lir's 2.5 gallon minibow. about 2/3's of his tank is a lush jungle, and the other 1/3 is his precious pirate ship. He LOVES that ship! When he's not sleeping under his plants, his sleeping on his ship. I've also got a handful of floaters in there for him, and a moss wall growing on one side, and a java fern wandering around there somewhere. I LOVE his tank!

Second pic is Loki's 10 gallon that he has all to his lonesome (not counting his snail friends). He has a moss wall growing on one side, as well as a veritable jungle, tons of floating plants, a coconut with moss roof, and a pyramid which his snails love. (it reminds me of the pyramids from Stargate so I had to have it!)

The third picture is the 20 gallon long. It's a work in progress. As i trim from the 10 and 2.5 gallons, they get planted into the 20 gallon. I had about 50 cuttings to start it with, but split among 3 sections, it just isn't a lot of plants! There is also a coconut with moss roof, a few java ferns, driftwood, and a few floating plants. When I get the lighting right, I hope it turns into the jungle the other two tanks are.

Oh, and I just love seeing everyone's tanks! I spent over an hour on here yesterday just looking at all the fun tanks! (and still got nowhere near the end!)
Those snails of yours are quite photogenic lol.

How did you grow a moss wall?

#1,348 ·
Lol my snails spend about 90% of the time they aren't cruising, stuck to the front. They ignore the other walls.
The moss walls are still growing, but its just moss between 2 pieces of mesh. I've done a small carpet before for a snail tank, and the walls are taking a lot longer. I'm in no rush though. :-D

#1,353 ·
All right, this might be not be the most fanciest tank....
I decided to get some real plants- but only very "easy" ones because I only have some LED light.
Sadly my nice cover of duck weed was eaten by my baby apple snail in just one week!
But I planted some Java Moss on the ornament, and also got some around Lulu's plastic tunnel. Then yesterday I got an Anubias plant- I did some research and found out that you can also have it floating. So now it is replacing my floating plastic plants.

Any ideas if my plants will work out?