Betta Fish Forum banner

Better foods?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Lion Mom 
#1 ·
Well, my newest fish ate some this morning. But only the freeze-dried blood worms. The pellets I have, even though I did pre-soak, he didn't eat. He looked at them closely, but did not eat them. (I let the pellets soak until they were mushy before putting them in the water.)

So, I'm wondering what the better brands of Betta food pellets are. I know the kind I got were just cheap, so probably not the best.

Also, would a Betta be able to live on the freeze-dried blood worms alone? I doubt it, but wanted to ask.

I don't think the pet stores around here carry any frozen fish foods, though I can call and ask. I don't want to do live for many reasons, bacteria being one of them.

Any advice would be great. I'd love for my new fish to be as healthy and happy as possible!

#2 ·
Oh, theres all sorts of different pellet brands to try... HBH, Hikari, Wardleys, Aqueon....theres even specialized betta flakes you can try, though I wouldn't recommend them as a staple. You can pick up a couple different brands and see if he'll nom on them ;)

But be patient....sometimes it takes a while for a new fish to get used to his new home and start eating, and if his particularly stubborn and ONLY wants bloodworms...then you'll have to just keep offering him pellets until he eventually gives in and eats, which he will ;) Just be strong....don't be tempted to feed him any bloodworms until he's eating the pellets without hesitation for a few days.

Also, ditch the freeze-dried....they have very little nutritional value, and cause bloat VERY easily. I suggest heading out and picking up frozen bloodworms if you'd like to give him a little treat once or twice a week ;)

#4 ·
If you have any of the major chains around like Petco/Petsmart, they have freezers in their fish sections. It's good to supplement with frozen food a few times a week. I use OmegaOne Betta Buffet pellets and New Life Spectrum. You want a brand that has whole meat as the first ingredient, and never something like wheat, corn, or soy near the top of the list.

#5 ·
The best dry foods usually can't be bought in the chain stores. Some mom and pop stores will carry them though.

The best dry foods are Atinson's Betta and Betta Pro, Omega One Betta Buffet, HBH Betta Bites, New Life Spectrum Betta or NLS Small Fish.

I'm currently feeding a mixture of NLS Betta, Attinson's Betta, and Omega One (these are big and will need to be crushed). I also feed a mixture of frozen foods as well.

#6 ·
The best dry foods usually can't be bought in the chain stores. Some mom and pop stores will carry them though.

The best dry foods are Atinson's Betta and Betta Pro, Omega One Betta Buffet, HBH Betta Bites, New Life Spectrum Betta or NLS Small Fish.

I'm currently feeding a mixture of NLS Betta, Attinson's Betta, and Omega One (these are big and will need to be crushed). I also feed a mixture of frozen foods as well.

Thanks for the list of brands! I'll see what I can find. :)

#7 ·
I found that the food I have is a decent one: HBH Betta Bites

He still didn't want them this morning, even though I did rub them against a cut garlic clove (for the garlic juice) and pre-soaking them. He just spit them out.

I think I will try another brand, maybe he doesn't like the texture or flavor of the Betta Bites. I will also try to get some frozen foods for him. There is a Petsmart within driving distance, it's actually where he came from. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.