Betta Fish Forum banner

My plans

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  xxabc 
#1 ·
I am probably getting one betta male.
Here is the setup i am thinking about

2-3 Glass bowl with some kind of water in it.

some gravel at the bottom

maybe like a obstacle and a fake plant

My house is at like 72 degrees is that going to kill him? My aunt once had one and it lived for 3 years. And it was in a similar setup.

I am wondering if weekly water changes is good.

#2 ·
That's great that you're thinking about getting a betta! I'd suggest getting a 2G tank or up. Sometimes bowls can be harder to clean than tanks. Also, we say "the bigger the tank, the better and easier it is to keep". A lot of people think that if you get a smaller bowl or tank it'll be easier, which is just the opposite. A 2G tank should be cleaned 100% (cleaning everything) twice a week. Where as if you got a 5G tank and had it cycled you'd only be doing 50% or 30% water changes a week. Walmart has 5G tank for $30.

If you're using tap water, you'll need a water conditioner. Make sure to get a couple silk plants and something for him/her to hide in. They love hiding places and it makes them feel safe.

Since bettas are warm water fish, they need a constant temperature of 76-80* F so you should get a heater also. Don't afraid to ask questions, we're here to help. :)

#4 ·
Is there a Wal-Mart or Petco or Petsmart near you?

#5 ·
Here is a good starter kit that includes a good heater for under 50 dollars.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-5-G...50-Watt-Heater-Bundle/13228131#Specifications

Also, I would recommend looking on craigslist or freecycle for a second hand tank. You can find them for very cheap or even for free (on freecycle). That way you can spend less money on a tank and more on live/silk plants, substrate, and other necessities that will make your fish very comfortable. :) If you do get a second hand tank it will require a substantial amount of cleaning though. And any tank 5 gallons and up really should be cycled before the addition of any fish.

#6 ·
I was able to get everything (5 gallon tank+heater+gravel+filter) for under $50. The tank/filter is the one brancasterr recommended. However the decorations will be more difficult. And bettas DO appreciate the crowding of plants. One plant will not suffice for your betta. The hidey-hole is recommended. I would say buy one plant every week, or every two weeks, if you can. In a 5 gallon, this will not take long. Bettas aren't fond with too much open space (and this isn't to be mixed up with 'bettas can't be in large tanks'!). They need their 'territory', and open space is not territory.

Hope this helped a little bit. :)

#9 ·
Cycling is putting your tank through the nitrogen cycle to build up beneficial bacteria that will consume ammonia(fish wastes), nitrItes, and nitrAtes. All of which are poisonous to fish.

There are a couple methods widely used to cycle tanks; fish-in and fishless. Fish-in cycling uses a cruel method so I would recommend using the fishless cycling method unless you can bare the weight of torturing a poor fish on your conscience.

You can find more information on cycling here:

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php

#11 ·
There are a couple methods widely used to cycle tanks; fish-in and fishless. Fish-in cycling uses a cruel method...
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here, bran...the cruelty results from people not doing it correctly! You can perform a fishy cycle without ammonia levels going above 1.0 ppm, and hovering around an average of 0.5 ppm. There is a momentary spike in nitrite, which is quickly rectified with a water change.

A novice should stick to fishless, mainly because of the maintenance required to leave fish in the aquarium during a fishy cycle. But, when done properly, the fishy cycle is not a cruel way to go. I almost always go the fishy route, but I have a hands-on approach and my bacteria is pre-cultured which jumps things off to a quick start.

#12 ·
I agree with what you're saying Mister Sparkle, but seeing as the OP doesn't know much about cycling or fish keeping for that matter I would assume s/he is a novice. I personally would much rather do a fishless cycle because I would feel horrible if I cause a little fishy death as a result of a rookie mistake. I'm much of a novice myself but I'm quickly catching up!

Drowzy, you won't need to cycle a 2 gallon, it might actually be nearly improbable. It's difficult to keep smaller tanks cycled. As for water changes, with a filter or not you should probably do about 50% bi-weekly. That is just a suggestion, I'm sure others can tell you a better answer from experience.

#14 ·
I did a fish-in cycle with my first betta, Roy Cherry, and he's alive and well. Just had to whip out my handy dandy API test kit and make sure everything was legit on a daily basis and make appropriate adjustments if they weren't. So it's something I'd suggest, or at least keep yourself open to, if you're properly equipped and dedicated - but don't you have to take the same measures with a fishless cycle? Testing everyday, and such? Just a matter of more water changes. Not that this matters. Do whatever you feel necessary. HEH.

Also, I think people have successfully cycled 2-3 gallon tanks here. I'm not sure what kind of maintenance that involves, but it's possible if that's something you're really looking into.

#17 ·
Isn't it also possible to grab some cycled media (gravel / filter) and stick it into a gallon or so, and sooner or later, call it cycled? WIth tests of course. Although I'm not entirely sure. I just know my family friends instantly cycle their 8 gallon from their overstocked 50 gallon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.