Betta Fish Forum banner

OMG! I came home and....

479 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  chelsmarie23 
#1 ·
When I left 10 hours ago, my new DTHM, Iri had gorgeous, perfect finnage. And when I came home, his fins are all shredded on the ends! What the heck?! I assume its because he likes to "cuddle" the filter! He's still in the QT 3 gallon right now with a whisper internal filter. I've cut the filter off because there's only a cryptocorne and the gravel and his filter... RAWR! He's been in there since Tuesday with no shreddded fins, why is it happening all of a sudden? Could he be tail-biting?

What should I do to help him heal? I may split my ten gallon again(it's already split once) and put him in there.... Little turkey <3

#2 ·
Ouch! what kind of filter is it? If its a HOB filter, you may be able to use this:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3650250

to help buffer the input so it doesn't suck his fins in. I've used it on 2 different HOBs with no problems. If its an internal filter, you may just need some filter sponge to wrap around the intake to prevent anything from sucking his fins in.

#3 ·
And now when I woke up today, my CT (my first betta) looks like he's about to die. :( I just moved him into a 10 gallon and his fins look kinda bedraggled. Its hard to tell cuz they're clamped though. And all my QT tanks are in use by new fish ATM! :( So he's in a cup for now until I figure out what to do. :'(
Regarding my earlier post:
The filter is an internal one...I blocked off the intake but he likes to sit by it and let his fins get sucked in :( Argh!

#4 ·
If you find out that it's not the filter, it is probably tail-biting. I never really caught my boy Ignacio biting his tail, but I know he was because he didn't have a filter or anything in his tank to tear his fins on. His description sounds similar to your boy's tail. Turns out that he was sitting in front of a mirror. As soon as I covered it up, he stopped biting his tail.

Just make sure he can't see his reflection anywhere. That can cause a lot of stress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.