Betta Fish Forum banner

OMG Tadpoles??? Help!

5K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  TheCrysCat 
#1 ·
My mom's adf's had babies! This was in no way planned, and now we have 6 little tadpoles that we've relocated to an old .5 gallon. Looking at pictures, they appear to be about 5 or 6 days old. We're going to petco tomorrow, so what should we get?

#2 ·
you'll want tadpole food if you don't have any yet. It's basically super soft pellets. Maybe a larger tank, each one will need a gallon full grown. Tadpoles also like a lot of cover from plenty of plants.

Really just the usual stuff any baby needs.

#3 ·
Thanks :) Their parents are in a two-gallon, it's just that a .5 was all we had lying around. I'm going to see to getting a larger tank tomorrow, and a 10 gal for all of them if the tadpoles survive.

#5 ·
Yuppers, of course xD You can't really see what they look like from above, but when you peer at them from below they have these little patches of irredescence. And they are TINY. Smaller than sea monkeys. My mom just gave them a bit of extremely crushed betta flake food with dried bloodworms and shrimp, and they seem to be eating it.

#6 · (Edited)
That's really kwl I actually had tadpoles once myself...... feed them soaked dogfood mine loved it just make sure the water doesn't get to dirty or that will cause a large fatality. I put a tadpole in my tank once with my Brutal Fire- betta he first tried to eat one then spit it out then he never messed with the other ones. Oh, I forgot the most important part!!!!!!!!! Make sure to use an airstone lightly or they will die. From lack of oxygen.

Good luck!,
Ethan

#8 ·
Well, I've counted five of the six of them alive this morning, and they were chowing down on another meal. They are so cute!

#10 ·
It is! And my mom found the sixth one, so they're all here! I'm going to try to get more pictures :)

#12 ·
It's as much as there were yesterday, so none of them died :D My mom has been waiting for old food to sink to the bottom, then she sucks it and some of the water out from the bottom with a turkey baster, and uses the baster to aerate them a bit. We're still feeding the crushed fish flakes.

They have little irredescent spots near their eyes that look kind of like headlights XD

#14 ·
Well, they're my mom's frogs, so... And they are teeny, but easily visable. And it's so cute when they swim!!

#16 ·
they just kind of move, and sometimes they shoot forward. occasionally I'll see their tails move.

#19 · (Edited)
When our pool is out of service from like September to March it gets tad poles (this is Florida, so winter is a loose term, haha). They're sooo cute and good at getting rid of mosquito larvae! It's fun to watch them develop. When we drain the pool to get it back to being swimmable, if some are still in there, we take them out and put them in tupperware tubs to finish growing.

During summer, the frogs lay eggs allll around the pool and live in any crevice they can find around the pool. It pisses my dad off, haha. I guess being around the chlorine doesn't bother them enough to leave! The eggs never hatch, though. But that could be because my dad always destroys their nests.

#20 ·
Thank you! I can't wait either. Especially because if a few of them survive, my mom'll get a ten gallon to house them all. And ten gal = possibly another betta to go in with them, and will free up the frogs' current tank. And kfish, do the tadpoles survive?

#22 ·
Haha, that's funny. I wouldn't mind having my pool become a frog heaven xD

#23 · (Edited)
I didn't see any tad poles! They must be done growing now. I looked it up, and I guess warmer water makes them develop faster. It has been CRAZY hot here for a while (86 today). Apparently, males don't fertilize eggs except in Feb. - March so that must be why eggs never hatch when the pool is in working order.

I never looked that much into it because we've never had trouble keeping them alive. We had a TON at one point from our pool and my half-brother's pool (I lost my first tooth while watching those tadpoles when I was six! XD). We always just feed them tropical fish flakes. When they're in the pool we don't feed them at all, because there's plenty of algae, bugs, and mosquito larvae.

#24 ·
Coooool :D It recently got really cold where I live, after a while of nice T-shirt weather. It sucks :p

#26 ·
It was just warm... compared to how hot it gets over here, I prefer the cold too.

#28 ·
Ugh. It's miserable! I can't wait to move to the frigid northlands!

My boyfriend and I visited Western NY (where he's from) 2 years ago in July and it was 45 degrees when we got there. I didn't bring a single sweater because I was not expecting that (I didn't really need one because I love cold weather)! It was AMAZING. I stepped out of the airport and was just like, "O.O OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS INCREDIBLE"

Then we got back to Florida a few days later... x_x

But we're going again at the end of May!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.