Betta Fish Forum banner

Naming themes!

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  SmokeNLark 
#1 ·
Does anyone else do this?

I name my fish using themes, if you know what I mean.
All of my bettas are named after world leaders / royalty. All of my Mollies are named after small islands (along with my sucker fish), and as I expand to guppies potentially over the next year, I'll have to come up with another naming theme for them, something equally as fun.

If you have a naming theme, what is it?

#4 ·
I don't have themes, but mainly because I worked at an adoption center for many years and all my themes have been used on litters of kittens/puppies. so I think of a certain cat/dog if I do.

#8 ·
I only have one betta, Victor, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with old man names with my future bettas XD

I love old fashioned names, they have so much character!

#9 ·
I have no themes... well, before I was gonna do a planet/ space theme like my friend, but after Venus died and I was gonna get a new betta I realized she'd used up pretty much every other name... Now I have a food theme I guess? Starting with Churro... and I only like to have one betta at a time anyways...

#10 ·
Most of mine are letters out of the Nato phonetic alphabet based on color or type.

Huey, cause he looks like a lil helicopter when he's 'hovering', Wraith cause he was like a ghost of himself when I brought him home.

All of my Endler's have names based on coloring or patterning cause they're so hard to tell apart. There's BD, Tiger, Speck, Lemon, J, Dash, Dali, and Opal. My corys are too hard to tell apart for permanent names. I call them 'Buddies'. :D

#12 ·
all my current pets names start with 's'. sandie (dog), sara (cat), & sam (betta). i think i'll keep continuing this theme until i run out of s names...then i'll have to find a new theme, haha.

personally, i love racing horse names, so i might have to do that next ;D

#14 ·
Well currently I have Adamu and Polaris. Adamu is an African name, and I LOVE African names, they're just so awesome. Polaris is a star, which I thought sounded really interesting and described his colors and personality. Maybe the next Betta will have an African name, and then the one after that, a Star name. I already have TONS picked out.

They'll come in handy when I start my first Sorority in December ;)

#15 ·
Naming is one of the most fun things :)
I like everyone's story behind names !
Does anyone change their betta's name on a whim? lol Because the original just didn't fit?
I did this with my cats too.
Good thing they don't have birth certificates!

No theme here, but the reasoning behind a few...

Danny Boy - Bc he was GREEN like Ireland, then changed to Indigo.
He's a friendly guy & likes when we have parties at the house. lol

Mr. Brooks - Super aggressive crowntail, named by my roommate after a horror movie.

Dexter - Red VT, named by me and roommate after the show with lots of blood.

Lt Shiny Sides - Silly name courtesy of my silly friend. Plus he's silver.

Chalupa - multicolored like a mexican pinata.

#17 ·
I don't really have naming themes. My fish are just whatever I think of. Actually, I only named 2 out of my 5 betta. My friend and boyfriend do that for me :p

My snails however, do have naming themes. When I first got a golden mystery snail, I felt like it needed a really fancy male name. I decided on Reginald. Now I have him, Cornelius, and Worstershire (technically a sauce, but sounds close enough) Idk why, but they sound so fitting. haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.