Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #351 
Fenghuang

Thank you, Blu.

Melano boy is not looking so hot today. He is down again and the pineconing is even more severe. He looks rather pale. I am not very confident about a good outcome... I wonder what happened? Sigh.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #352 
litelboyblu

Oh no! That's bad. I'm sorry, sending positive vibes!
litelboyblu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #353 
Fenghuang

Positive vibes are very appreciated, Blu. He was laying on his side/in a head down postion for most of today, but he has managed to right himself again now. He is still sort of sitting/resting, but at least he is able to stay upright and is not keeled over? I cupped him so he can get to the surface and breathe easier. Pineconing looks very serious.

Old Yesterday, 12:56 AM   #354 
litelboyblu

Oh wow. That really severe. I think you may have posted it already and I forgot but what are you using to medicate him? Poor guy :( I hope he feels better, the trick is to try to catch and demolish dropsy at its early stage.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #355 
Fenghuang

Kanaplex and epsom salt mainly. Was going to give him the last dose together, but he passed away around noon (I know he was still alive at 8 am). SIP darling fish.
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM   #356 
Fenghuang

I lost the one half of both my actual breeding pairs (the dalmatian HMPK female for my fancy spotted HMPK male and the melano HM male for my super black HM female), so now I need to reevaluate.
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #357 
litelboyblu

I'm sorry :(

I hope you figure everything out, just remember, if you need any help, we're here!
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #358 
Aqua Aurora

I'm sorry for your loses. Perhaps the higher powers (of betta wonders) want you to try something different and new with breeding, maybe you should consider breeding the two that are left? What sort of babies would they make? I love genetics and working with dominant and receive genes to figure out ratios/% for offspring traits but have not learned which traits are dominant or recessive in betta genetics yet (as soon as I start looking I'd want to test it with breeding and don't have the time or space for that).
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #359 
Fenghuang

Thanks, you two, your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
I'm sorry for your loses. Perhaps the higher powers (of betta wonders) want you to try something different and new with breeding, maybe you should consider breeding the two that are left? What sort of babies would they make? I love genetics and working with dominant and receive genes to figure out ratios/% for offspring traits but have not learned which traits are dominant or recessive in betta genetics yet (as soon as I start looking I'd want to test it with breeding and don't have the time or space for that).
I hadn't thought of that, actually. The male and female that remain would indeed make a very interesting pair. They are so different and I have honestly no idea what they would throw... But I guess it could be worth a shot? These are the sellers' pictures.

Fancy HMPK Male

DTPK x HM Female (I know she looks hunchbacked in this photo, but her topline looks fine in person)

Old Today, 11:34 AM   #360 
litelboyblu

Oh wow. They would not produce interesting fry!