Betta Fish Forum banner

Spawning of Rosetail with female PK

13K views 107 replies 19 participants last post by  jadaBlu 
#1 ·
This is my very first spawning attempt. I was shocked it took and am recording it here. Maybe I can see any mistakes I made, if something should happen. I am excited that the second breed I attempted, took!

Day 1) Rosetail Wiley placed in with female blue pk. Breeding took place after 24 hours, and eggs were laid on April 20.

Day 2) Mom removed from breeding container. Dad chasing her away. Dad staying in one area but unable to tell if the eggs are viable or not. Dad seems to just be sitting and waiting. Tub has a plant, two moss balls and treated with IAL. Bubble wrap shows nest and white specks in it. Dad left alone at this time.

Day 3)April 22--While about to syphon any waste, I see small "specks" moving. I look and, approx. 7 fry can be seen, swimming horizontally. Dad still attending. Unable to see under bubble wrap but he seems to be placing more back in there. Feed small amount of egg yolk for horizontally swimming fry and put in sponge filter. Refeed at night, egg yolk and see about 5 more fry swimming horizontally. Dad still under bubble nest and taking some and putting them from the bottom, into the bubble nest.

Day 4) Add just a bit of water with IAL and prime. 8 fry under a floating thermometer. Temp is 82 degrees. 4 more fry are by the moss ball. All swimming horizontally but dad still under the bubble nest. Feed egg yolk. Still unsure how many fry there are, until I can see under the bubble wrap completely.

See less See more
#90 ·
Ok, all the abbreviations are making me nuts, it is kind of like looking at the personals or rental ads. LOL I know what HMP is but have no idea what EE is, please enlighten me. Is it Elephant Ear or something like that? Thanks, I'm kind of a newbie to the board and am just catching on to the abbreviations.

#91 ·
Hi and welcome! Yeah, I was thinking NPT was non planted tank and making stupid posts as, they kept saying their tank was planted. I realized it was NATURAL planted tank...I had a very DUH moment. :)

EE is elephant ear. I have seen some say Dumbo Ear too, on the aquabid and ebay threads. I have one but, sadly, not another to breed her with.

They aren't easy to find, at a price I can afford either. And, the ones I can afford, I wouldn't breed. Then again, I have been known to not look in the right places too. lol

#94 ·
Welcome!

#95 ·
Very interesting log. You've been doing an awesome job wish4coner. I'll have to follow this; I'm excited to see how your bettas turn out!

#97 ·
Day 42--Fry still growing well and active. Not much to report. They are responded well to all foods and now chasing live daphnia. I found I also bred two small snails, somewhere when I put in some established substrate--they are tiny and, may end up as someone's snack!

I think the plants help immensely with the fry. They seem to really get a lot of peace and comfort out of them, as well as, I am sure some free Infusia (Sp?) as well. I ordered a culture of grindal worms that is fully established so, I hope to have these ready in time for them to be able to eat them.

Still feeding them MW/BW/WW and now, the live daphnia. At night, they get the final feeding of frozen BBS and frozen Daphia as well. Growing like weeds!

#100 ·
Day 49

These guys are doing great and showing colors. I appear to have a powdery blue fin color on many of them, while some seem to be growing like "dad" in the white--but could also not be showing their colors yet. I am now feeding daphnia (live) and just bbs/daphnia mixtures. I do still treat during the day with MW/WW/BW as well.

View attachment 144058

View attachment 144042

View attachment 144050

As I type this, I have my 3rd and final spawn, before I rehome my domestics. I will do a spawn log now. This will be my last spawn for my domestics as, I am going to be doing all wilds now--lost my job and, I have to do what is best for the fish, as well as feeling to be a part of helping keeping the rare species going. I posted on the classified section if anyone is interested in my domestics.

#101 ·
These guys are doing great and showing colors. I appear to have a powdery blue fin color on many of them, while some seem to be growing like "dad" in the white--but could also not be showing their colors yet. I am now feeding daphnia (live) and just bbs/daphnia mixtures. I do still treat during the day with MW/WW/BW as well.

View attachment 144058

View attachment 144042

View attachment 144050

As I type this, I have my 3rd and final spawn, before I rehome my domestics. I will do a spawn log now. This will be my last spawn for my domestics as, I am going to be doing all wilds now--lost my job and, I have to do what is best for the fish, as well as feeling to be a part of helping keeping the rare species going. I posted on the classified section if anyone is interested in my domestics.
Awwww...this breaks my heart. </3

Buuuut. The fry look so cute!!!

#104 ·
I would but, with my luck, They'd get a lawyer after me! lol Trust me...I've learned enough about the field of Developmental Disabilities to know that, when my own children are old enough, I will be owner of the place and NOT put them into another company's hands.

Now, I am a wild woman (breeding wilds)..lol

#106 · (Edited)
8 weeks, 2 days (horrible pics but shows colors)

Fry are growing well and still active with no losses. They are now eating live daphnia, as well as a combination of beefheart/spirulina/grindal worms/mw/glassworms. They are growing very well and fins are coming in fully.

I have only a cheap camera phone so, my pictures are not clear. However, it shows the colors, if you look closely. Many are the blue-blue/green color while others, when looked at close up are more coppery with a slight pinkish tint.

They will be glassed up and ready for sale by next month. I am very pleased with the progress thus far.

View attachment 152986

#108 ·
I am sorry about your job I definitely can relate. PM me when they mature I might want a male. Also if you have culls you would consider rehoming that are in good health but just have undesirable traits to continue in your breeding program please contact me as well. I am not a breeder so they would not be bred. Goldfishies sent me some females that were not going continue in his line via priority mail I paid shipping. The fish are happy and headed to my sorority.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.