Betta Fish Forum banner

New member, Meet my betta(s)

1K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  MandiceP 
#1 ·
Hello! My name is Mandi and I'm a brand new member here, but a long time betta lover. I have been keeping bettas for 7 or 8 years now. Anywho. I currently work at a one location all natural pet store in MA and I am an inventory manager. We pride ourselves on carrying locally bred livestock and we handpick all of our fish and if it isn't healthy looking it doesn't come to our store... anyways enough of that, I currently am owned by two betta fish. One I left at my mother's house when I moved to my apartment with my husband, mainly because she had lost hers and she really liked him. He is a red butterfly delta tail boy who was turned into our store (instead of being flushed... how nice of his former owners to think of him, eh?) and I fell in love immediately. He's super awesome and wicked quirky and he's HUGE! Has a massive appetite too. He's probably around 3 or more years old and has had a little fin rot so he isn't as beautiful now as he once was but he's currently healthy and doing well.
Bruce Fishinson:

resting on his leaf. He loves that plant!

his pretty little self. I love my Brucey!

My new betta (yet unnamed) is a black orchid crown tail male. He is awesome. I saw him and had to get him as soon as he came into our store. I just recently moved him into a new 2.5 gallon setup and he loves it. He swims around flaring at everything that moves and he's definitely a spunky little thing. I have yet to pick out a name for him, mostly since I'm totally horrible at naming things... lol

and just because I love it, his new tank. I think it is very classy looking compared to the acrylic "critter tank" he was in before, lol!

That's that. Just wanted to introduce ourselves! Thanks for looking! :-D

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you!

If anyone has any name suggestions for the CT... I'm open for hearing them! LOL I like fantasy book/movie names so anything of that nature would be cool. I'm so uncreative right now. I toyed for a moment with naming him Vladimir but I dunno if it fits him, :/

#5 ·
That is awesome! I dunno, I kinda like "Vlad" too.... If it keeps itching at me in a couple days it'll probably stick... but for now I'll still leave it open for suggestions. xD

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Your fish are both so handsome!

Don't you just love how a tank transforms itself at night? I sit and stare at mine all night long. The black crowntails tank looks great!

Name suggestions for him:

-Shadow
-Night
-Onyx
-Coal
-Carbon
-Smoke
-Crow
-Iron
-Licorice
-Mamba
- Ink, Inkheart
- ninja
-Rain ( rain clouds...)
- Sheep ( as in black sheep hehe)
- Market? (xd...Black market)
- Coffee? Tea? ( i love coffee and it is black before you add cream)

I've been on the hunt for a black betta so I am prepared to name one..xD

#8 ·
I have come up with another name option and I don't know how I feel about it, Dendro. It is an abbreviated version of my favorite type of orchids, dendrobium... lol I dunno. Just thought of it. I still like Vlad and I like Ninja too.

Thank you to everyone for the welcomes. PixelatedPaint, I do love how this tank looks at night. The flower totally pops with the light centered above it! And Miish I would love to hear a crown tail lover's opinion on my boy! I have a soft spot for double rayed crowns myself... when I saw this guy was the only double rayed in the batch we got (and his color was so awesome) I had to beg my hubby to let me get back into bettas. I had just broken down a ten gallon tank with platy fish in it. So that is that story, lol.

#15 ·
And Miish I would love to hear a crown tail lover's opinion on my boy! I have a soft spot for double rayed crowns myself... when I saw this guy was the only double rayed in the batch we got (and his color was so awesome) I had to beg my hubby to let me get back into bettas. I had just broken down a ten gallon tank with platy fish in it. So that is that story, lol.
Haha he loves it! Says you could name it Oracle or something :)
I'm new to the hobby right now but I can already feel myself getting addicted :O

#10 ·
tehe Magneto! I love Xmen... lol I dunno. Nothing has quite gone *That's it!* yet for me and I think that's how I usually know it's a good name, it feels "right" if that makes sense... lol

#11 ·
Love your guys! I have a CT that looks almost exactly like that, but a bit darker all around, which just made me think of the show Archer: "No, Woodhouse, there's 10 black turtlenecks and then 10 in a slightly darker black."

Hmm...Maybe Archer for a name?

All mine end up being named the first thing I call them, if that helps. Usually the best names, I've found, are the most natural.

#13 ·
Beautiful black orchrid betta to me the name blackwidow stands out

#14 ·
aww i love black orchids (black crowntail's), i have one named "Phantom" and he is also double-rayed (i think). i would like:

midnight (i know common)
nebula
galactic
dark star
nite
dark void / or just "Void"
primal
Mercedes (it just came to me XD)
cobra
mamba , like the snake the "black mamba"
seer ( sea -eer)

and am out.. for now

#16 ·
it's easy to get addicted quickly!! We have a platinum and yellow Plakat male at my store now that I fell in love with today.... I'm debating how to ask my hubby if I can add one more... lol I like the name Oracle. I think I'm going to write down all the name ideas I like and sit by the tank and call all of them to the fish and see which one he flares at :p that will tell me which to name him! LOL Maybe I'll video it to give everyone a chuckle.... tehe

#17 ·
double post, sorry. I have decided on names. This boy, the CT, is now Shruikan (pronounced shrew kin) and the yellow dragon I mentioned in my last post that I'm buying is going to be Glaedr (pronounced glay der) and they are awesome! I am naming them after dragons from the Inheritance Cycle books by Christopher Paolini! Whoot! Thank you everyone who suggested names because I did think long and hard about all of them and there were some really good suggestions I'm going to keep in mind for future bettas (muahaha! lol)

#18 ·
They are all gorgeous, but I especially love Shruikan's finnage and coloring. I used to have a crowntail named P.B. Sadly he has since passed on, but here is a pic. Love the fishies!

#19 ·
Wow Betta Mommy that is one gorgeous red Crown! I don't usually take to reds too much (not my favorite color) but that is a stunning fish.

I have Glaedr on hold at my work until friday but I might just take him home today to motivate me to set up my tank... lol! I'm going to eventually be dividing a ten into 2/3 sections to have a couple more fish, but for now he can have run of the place!

Here is a picture of Glaedr for those who haven't seen my other thread about him yet ;)

#20 ·
Those are BEAUTIFUL boys! I like your tank too very calming to look at. I'm looking into re doing my tanks with more natural looks as I'm sick of seeing how they look now, and my one CT male passed :( . yours is beautiful!

#21 ·
Anita I felt the same way about Shruikan's old tank. it was the blue critter tank that Bruce is in from the pics on my first post... and it had teal and green gravel in it and the little orange plant. My hubbs and I are in our mid and upper 20's and it just looked really out of place, like it should be in a kid's bedroom. I dunno. I am so happy with how it came out. my ten gallon will mimic that tank. Same substrate (mix of black gravel and dark natural stones) and I'll probably get a couple more bigger flowery plants like Shruikan has now. I gave the pink one from Bruce's tank away. Maybe I'll get a purple one! I love purple! LOL But yeah. I ended up getting the dividers today from the guy who said he'd make them for me and they are slightly too big :/ so I'm going to have to see if he can shave them down slightly and redo the corners as it won't fit now. Doesn't matter too much as Glaedr will be the only fish in there for now. The main reason I wanted the dividers is for later on so I can acquire two more fish (muahahahaha) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.