Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

He ate the medicine -_-

9K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Betta Nerd 
#1 ·
Hey guys!
So my Betta fish has pretty bad fin rot at the moment
Today I started with the Tetra Treatment (I've used this before and it's worked amazingly!). I dropped the little pill in and left it there to dissolve.
A couple minutes late I went to check on how well it was dissolving and noticed my little (fatty) Betta eating it -_-

Is that bad? Should I be worried??

If it were to dissolve in his water it would still be going into his system no matter what right? :-?

#2 ·
... I am interested in what the outcome will be :lol: I don't think it will harm him too much, then again it is supposed to dissolve into the water first...

#7 ·
When I saw him at the back of the tank he some me hovering so he swam to me but at the same time i saw him chomping up all the white powder...it was like he came to the font of the glass to show me he wasnt getting into any trouble...silly boy

#8 ·
I would always predissolve meds before adding to a tank. That way they distribute quickly and you don't have pocket of meds. This is especially important when they're tablets like this.

Just watch him carefully.. not much you can do. Whether or not he'll be okay depends on what the med is and how much he actually ingested. Ingesting some amount is okay.

I don't know of a Tetra med for fin rot.. you're not using life guard are you? Fungus Guard would work even though it's not actually labeled as such.

Are you treating in his main tank or QT?

Fin rot is almost always caused by water issues (unless it's being snagged on something or he's biting) so more info would help make sure this doesn't come back again: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

#11 ·
Oh yes you're right! It's is lifequard! Yeah I thought about predissolving after it happened... The reason he mainly got fin rot was indeed the water quality, i had to leave on a matter of urgency for 2 months and my mother took care of him (and the rest but they are all fine and healthy) and she doesnt know a thing about how to clean tanks but i did make her constantly do water changes, but I do not think that was good enough, the most probable cause of it. it's his main tank i'm treating the tablets are far too large for QT

#9 · (Edited)
Today I started with the Tetra Treatment (I've used this before and it's worked amazingly!). I dropped the little pill in and left it there to dissolve.
Is "Tetra Treatment" the full name of it? Or are you talking about Tetra Lifeguard All-in-One Treatment?

If it's Lifeguard All-in-One Treatment, the active ingredient is "HaloShield" -- which is also known as 1-chloro-2, 2, 5, 5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone. :)

The info that I found says it ingestion by HUMANS is unlikely to cause significant problems, "but consumption of large amounts may cause stomach upset and irritation." (source is here)

Tetra offers a support forum where you can ask questions about their products. Go here, then click the "Ask Tetra" tab. http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/Detail.aspx?id=4243

#10 ·
Fin rot can also be caused from stress, which lowers the immune system therefore getting a result such as fin rot, or more severe cases and not excluding parasites. Not just from water quality.

#13 ·
Yes indeed. But there is nothing stressful about his environment and he's been doing just fine until recently i have to take a leave of absence for 2 months and left him with my mother(doesnt know how to clean tanks) but i made her do regular water changes but that definitely wasnt enough. His tank was still pretty filthy when i came back and did immediate cleaning then went out and bought some LifeGuard All-In-One and started treatment a day after I cleaned his tank. (16 hours after ingestion; he's seems fine, swimming around all happily but still watching him closely)
Also no external parasites that i can see, no bloating, no awkward swimming suggesting it could be internal parasites either

#18 ·
Hey guys!
A couple minutes late I went to check on how well it was dissolving and noticed my little (fatty) Betta eating it -_-

If it were to dissolve in his water it would still be going into his system no matter what right? :-?
Hey guys!

Saaaaaaaame!
Water Care Kit Tablets 3 tablets of Start, Conditioner & Correct pH
1tab for every 5 gallons so that's 6 tabs of each for my 30gal tank.
I put the 1st 3 of the 18 tablets in my tank &, turned around for 60seconds I saw my fish eating something in that spot where the tabs were & they were gone. It should have taken a Lil longer to dissolve +only 1 tiny streak of blue so I think he ate majority of the 3 tabs.

SHOULD I put the remainder of the 15 tabs in or wait while?
Hey guys!

#19 ·
Saaaaaaaame!
Water Care Kit Tablets 3 tablets of Start, Conditioner & Correct pH
1tab for every 5 gallons so that's 6 tabs of each for my 30gal tank.
I put the 1st 3 of the 18 tablets in my tank &, turned around for 60seconds I saw my fish eating something in that spot where the tabs were & they were gone. It should have taken a Lil longer to dissolve +only 1 tiny streak of blue so I think he ate majority of the 3 tabs.

SHOULD I put the remainder of the 15 tabs in or wait while?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.