Betta Fish Forum banner

Possible Blue Dragon Project

8K views 76 replies 24 participants last post by  Junglist 
#1 ·
So I've made the decision that when I move into a bigger house at the end of the year, I'm going to dedicate my whole fish room full-force to figuring out how to breed true blue dragon bettas. Not blue bodied, but real silver-bodied, blue finned dragons-

This image is fake, but it represents the goal. So far, no one has successfully been able to create these. I believe that starting the line with a blue cambodian crossed with a dragon with thick scaling and plenty of selective breeding might get me to my goal. Dragons came about by crossing betta splendens to wild type bettas, to try to cross over the genetics of the wild types that contain the heavy iridescence on their scales. Every dragon betta has a soft iridescent sheen across all of their scales, it's just more difficult to see on some than others. Original blue-bodied blue dragons have a lot more body iridescence on them, which is what causes the blue cast across the body. I believe that crossing a dragon with a blue cambodian will encourage the fleshy colored body, while at the same time causing blue fins and thick, light colored scales. This won't become apparent on the F1 generation as cambodian is recessive.

It will be difficult trying to find a blue cambodian as they are pretty rare, but if this project fails I plan on breeding blue cambodians anyways to make them more accessible in the betta community.

Any opinions or tips?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll work on em with you! I need some more fish around to fill up my barracks when they're finished :D

#4 ·
I'm obtaining some blues next week anyway :D

#10 ·
I'm a relatively new breeder, but my parents said I can get a fish room, so hopefully I will be able to get/make some barracks (AND MALES/PAIRS :D) and chip into your project somehow! Good Luck and let us know how you get on!

#14 ·
Just thinking, what about finding a female cambodian with good fins, and maybe red, and breeding to a pure blue?I know you would get some redwash in there but it might work...not sure about the exact genetics but just a thought...

#15 ·
Finding a blue Cambodian line is hard enough
They usually throw marble n pastel
Really funky fish to work with
I think it will be easier if u cross a blue mask to a blue pastel
Or a black dragon to a blue pastel
Crossing to wild type is a hit or miss
Some offspring can't be breed

#16 ·
#19 ·
Of course she could still do this. I said nothing implying she should forget about this project or stop attempting this. It's a great project, but I was just correcting what I read. I'm sure she could even make this true blue dragon better than the one I've shown even though it's almost perfect.

#24 ·
The fish bettalover2033 pictured is a marble rather then a true blue dragon, at least according to a discussion on another forum. I think they are pretty though. That particular fish was the best body armor I have seen on one of them so far and with the least red.

I think that's what curlyfatbottom was talking about "my guess from the pic. They use marble." (least that's my guess on the short post ;))

Mr. V- Did you find a USA breeder of blue plakats by any chance? I'm looking for one. Or do you mean you found a breeder working with blue cambodians?

#38 ·
#25 · (Edited)
I just received a pair of dragon double tail half moons to work on my dragon lines.... They are red, not blue, but who knows where my lines will end up?? I tend to go with the flow so to speak....

<---- Look to the left to see the adolescent male...

My ultimate goal is to have a dragon, big ear, half moon, no matter the color... Is that sick or what!!!!

Jeff.:)

#26 ·
Ok, I'm kinda late to the party butt....

1. I love the nickname! :D
2. That fish is kinda ugly. Kaden and you guys can do TONS better! :p
3. I had a red Cambodian HM. *sniff* she died Monday *SOOOOOBBB* Would have loved to volenteer her to help with the cambo/blue idea...but.... consider her there. At least, her fighting spirit for you. (LOL you probably woulden't have wanted her anyway. She tried to eat Sparta. Perhaps she was not cut out for breeding... :>/ )

Best of luck.... you CAN do better than that... perhaps you could try getting another color of the blue, like purple or green or yellow..... that would work too.

Just some ideas.
Thomasdog

#27 ·
Yeah
I say they use a marble to create that fish
The hint of white on the fin throw it off
N the blue on the base of the tail

There no way to get a blue dragon with white scale unless u mess with pastel or marble
With Those fish they don't breed consistent pattern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.