Betta Fish Forum banner

New Dog!

9K views 92 replies 16 participants last post by  ANHEL123 
#1 · (Edited)
Firstly, they sent me the wrong picture. But, whatever I don't care.

The description they gave me of how she behaves though... No way. Dead wrong. Other than kid and people friendly.

Dogs: Well, she likes dogs. But she is over excited where she will start spinning, lashing out at the leash, act as if you were the issue.

Walks: She is NOT FOR OFF LEASH. Being an overly excited dog, she bolts.

Walks part 2: On leash is not something she likes. First walk resulted in her spinning, lashing out and trying to get off the leash. I didn't let her, and I changed direction on her every time she pulled. Eventually I mentally exerted her. I made her walk by a dog (who barks, lunges, snarls etc), two dogs behind wooden fences, and four cats chilling out. For the cats I made her sit there (properly on her bum not halfway). But everyday, it's backtracking to the very first day!

Eating: She inhales. Food th- gone! :roll:

Cats: Since we have a kitten, who was unhappy the first day then stopped caring... We want to make sure she can integrate into the family fully. She doesn't want to kill her... Thankfully... But she is too excited to "not eat the kitty" so to speak. We let her smell (to which she wanted to nip said bottom of the cat), and using the screen door as a blockade. The screen door worked better because she could get REALLY close without hurting.

Listening: She doesn't. She's learned with me, I am more aggressive. By that I don't mean I beat her or anything. I mean if I DON'T LIKE IT she's NOT getting away with it. The way it AUGHT TO BE FOR ALL DOGS. MY room is MY room. Dog's food is mine, until I tell her she can have it. It's about having patience and listening. Not getting HER way.

Overall, exhausting. But because of how she is, I'll keep it up for a month. She may end up being too overwhelming, in which case I'd like to find a large place for her... A family with kids (any age), maybe another dog of equal or bigger size, a large fenced (taller fence) yard. And I will make sure she is NOT going to some backyard breeder (WILL make contract between me and them stating they will not breed and will spay within a year's time or less), or dog fighting.

I will also note the previous people found her a few months ago. Came tired, underweight with ribs showing, and dirty. With a raggy collar and a name tag with NO number or address. I am making sure no one is truly missing her, even using Kijiji for most of the provinces, to make sure they aren't elsewhere, other than Alberta, and missing their young dog.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
why would you make someone sign a spay contract? why arent you going to spay her yourself? there are a lot of programs for affordable spay/neuter. every animal should be spayed/neutered. it is the responsible thing to do.

did you not meet her before adopting her? it is kind of unusual to adopt a dog sight unseen.

they make bowls with sort of dividers in it to slow down dogs who eat too fast. if you are concerned about how quickly she eats you could try one of those. or spread it out on a sheetpan or something.

#13 ·
why would you make someone sign a spay contract? why arent you going to spay her yourself? there are a lot of programs for affordable spay/neuter. every animal should be spayed/neutered. it is the responsible thing to do.
Exactly. I really have to shake my head at some of the dog and cat posts on this board. Everyone takes meticulous responsible care of their fish but it is often a different story for the larger pets. I don't get it.

There is a place where people can adopt pets that have already been spayed/neutered/vet checked, it's called an animal shelter. Most are really good places that care about the animals they adopt out.

#3 ·
Sena.... what a job you have taken on, Bless You for that. Everything you are doing is right. Changing direction when she pulls, that type of thing.
You sound like you definitely know what you are doing. You are the boss of the food, It's yours until you choose to give it to her. Darn right. Good for you!!
My daughter went thru exactly what you are going thru now... He is, we think, half black lab, and half Great Pyrenees. Suffice it to say you cannot leave anything out including stuff on the top of the fridge. Yes the top of the fridge.
He was incapable of sitting to have his food dish put on the floor when she got him, and now he can sit 3 minutes beside his bowl and wait for his dinner... (and drool)
My goodness she looks SO thin. Nothing a good amount of food can't fix.
Please keep us posted with pics. Good job tho you are doing everything right!!

#4 ·
How old is she? I'm not sure if you have a general idea of age, but if she is unspayed currently and not a young dog, I would be concerned about the chance of Pyometra. I think the risk gets quite high in unspayed females the older they are/the more heats they have so it is just something to be aware of.

Also if she is entire you have to be very conscious of her heat cycle as we have two intact girls right now, and for two or three weeks it can be a nightmare.

Just two things I thought I would mention as I am not sure if you have owned an unspayed female dog before (I am assuming she is not spayed based on the breeding contract thing).

She looks like she has had a rough time of it. Poor thing. I hate seeing any animal in such a condition.

#5 ·
She is about 2 years old, judging her fur (no grays), her teeth, energy etc is very much of a puppy's. I checked for a spay scar, and he mentioned as I did she was in heat a week before I got her. It's approximately 6 months apart they go ito heat correct? I know stress and other things induce it (kinda like us!). I expect her to be very "wild" when it hits. Luckily two stores do have "heat diapers" lol. Washable and tossable.

When I fed her, I did it differently. Something I never tried before. Made her sit, tossed her a piece (totally can't catch food LOL). Made her "dance" as I found she knows how to! Gave her another piece. Made her sit, and stay (take a couple steps back). Give her another piece. Sit, stay then come. Gave her another piece. She knows "down" command but you have to tug the collar just a little, and she's down. Did that a few times, each time she got a piece. Then I decided to give her the bowl, but made her sit and wait. Took her four times, but she did it. Also knows "back off" lol.

We did have an issue with an unseen cat who slunk off... She saw it before we did (after an hour walk nonetheless). She did her whole frantic twists and turns, chewing on the leash. I made her walk by that house 6 times until she stopped "searching".

Then when we got to the house she sped up ("home!!" Lol). So I walked by it. I don't intend to be dragged up or down stairs. Dangerous! So, made her go up to the house - second she pulled I turned around. She did not like going away from home that is for sure :lol: eventually she walked behind me going back to the house lol.

Also like I said she is 53 pounds... Should actually be about 65, which is plenty more to avoid overweight or underweight. Just judging by size and breed.

Reactions: SeaHorse
#6 ·
They don't go too wild. Ours just sniffs more on her walks and does a lot more marking in the weeks before she comes right into full-blown heat. It is more about making sure she isn't in contact with any intact male dogs.

The amount they bleed depends on the dog. Our one now is very clean and hardly bleeds at all, while our youngest is very dirty and it looks like someone has cut themselves sometimes.

Also, it's when they stop bleeding that is the peak danger time. Even neutered males will often react to an in heat female. Our male does and we have to separate them as he will try and mount her.

I sometimes make our dogs work before they can have their food. I can't stand dogs that don't wait or make a huge fuss over their food. Sometimes our male gets lazy about the whole 'waiting' business so I make him do a few obedience commands just to sharpen him up haha.

What breed is she? The photo makes it hard to see. She looks like my dad's poor dog we picked up from the RSPCA. He is a pitbull/staffy type dog and he was so skinny I was afraid to walk him for fear someone would dob me in to the authorities for cruelty.

So did the previous owners have her for months? What was their explanation for her present condition? Blows my mind how some people are content to have walking skeletons for pets.

#7 ·
I had planned to neuter my puppy when he got a bit older until I did some research and now I am rethinking it. That said, if I had a female, personally I think I would still get her spayed even with the risk.
Here are some links to what I found.
http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...angers-of-early-pet-spaying-or-neutering.aspx
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...ks-benefits-spay-neuter-your-dog_20685-1.html
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/long-term-health-risks-benefits-spay-neuter-dogs/
http://www.angryvet.com/spaying-and-neutering/
http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/spay_neuter_considerations_2013.pdf
https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/130401s.aspx

As you can see I have been doing a lot of research regarding dogs in general...A lot has changed since I have had a dog and/or reared a puppy of my own-not a family dog and I was a certified trainer over 30 years ago...lol......See what happens when you find a new interest....lol...Now I am a crazy dog nut.....Proud mama of Skipper'D
This is a 9wk old pic-he is now 6mo old

#8 ·
Females it is better to spay simply because the risk of uterus infections becomes really high the older they get.

I think a lot of breeders (particularly of big dogs) recommend waiting a year or two before spaying. Our GS male was left until he was 18 months and then we spayed him.

However, I generally think for the average pet home it is better if dogs are spayed/neutered. A lot of people have difficulty containing their pets and the last thing we need is more irresponsibly bred puppies.

#9 ·
Well for her behavior I'd expect her to not pay that mucb attention if in heat...

LittleBettaFish, they fed her quite a bit. 2-3 months ago I'd say? So the fact she is thin (ribs are not shown but I'd like more muscle and mest on her bones) proves how thin she was when they found her. I'm also going to post throughout the kijiji provinces to make sure someone did NOT lose her (i've seen it happen!!)

She is a german shepherd labrador cross. Probably another dog breed in there. Her shapely body is normal for the shepherd, but I still feel she could be a bit more "stocky". That and the fact she could put on muscle!

She is cautious of trucks, which is great. I don't mind "let's not get close" behavjor. But... She is TERRIFIED of grates. Know manholes, and grates on the side of the curb/road? Terrifed. Shuts down into sheer panic where she fights you whenever you are a couple feet near it.

She also lacks listening skills, unless you really raise your voice. She isn't deaf, I know she isn't. And I am NOT stressing myself or her by shouting.

I'll get a better picture of her after I brush her. Handfuls of fur comes out since that was her winter coat (thick coat like a shepherd)

#10 ·
So, two questions:

What makes dogs afraid of cameras? She acted as if I was going to beat the crap out of her! I don't use flash (for many reasons), it's a non-obtrusive camera (small), and I don't hold it in front of my face thanks to it's nicely sized screen.

Second question: What drives a dog to only pee when they ABSOLUTELY have to? She will be taken out enough times, but only pee once... Usually when SHE HAS TO PEEEEEEE. :lol: Most dogs I know when they are outside, even just do a tiny piddle. I stand there with my dog, who does a 1 minute pee x.x I'm surprised her bladder is so great. She was shaking so bad she had to pee so bad when I got home, though Scott took her outside so she could go pee, a couple hours back.

Here's two better pictures of her. The second one was her cowering from the camera, acting all "submissive" in a very prominent "don't kill me!" fashion :roll:

Attachments

#11 ·
It could just be she got a fright or she's never seen one before. Our dog Nike gets wigged out about the weirdest things. Today on our walk it was a suspicious tree stump.

I would assume if you just give her treats when you get the camera out and get her to associate positive things with the camera being used/around her she will get over it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with your last question. Our dogs really don't pee heaps when they are outside. They go usually once when they are let out and then they just mosey around the yard for a while, come back inside and then get let out when they need to go again.

#12 ·
Well, I mean what causes a dog to think they HAVE to hold their bladder until the absolute last moment. She is given unlimited water, which means her bladder's gotta be a horse bladder lol. No blood, no thick grossness of it either... Just... Lots of pee. Poor thing tried so hard to hold it in, there were a few dribbles on the blanket but she did VERY good VERY hard not to pee inside (which is amazing).

But she won't go otherwise? Not unless she HAS to? I don't understand why.

As for "treat when the camera is out" that is how I was trying to get her to sit still :lol: She just... Won't do it.

#15 ·
Um, because IF I CANNOT KEEP HER to the timeframe where she IS spayed (months from now after all shots are taken care of), I don't want her bred. I tried to ignore that first post, but if others are going to agree lets address it.

OR would you all rather I tell them "meh breed her all you want!" Great idea. Next time I just won't post good news, or "cautious back up "just in case sh$% flies out the window plans". Because obviously, "they aren't good enough". Too bad. You do not know me, you do not know my situation, you do not know how hard I am trying to integrate this dog into this family, or how this dog really acts in person VS "over the internet". I'm getting VERY tired of these kinds of posts.

And there IS NO AFFORDABLE PLANS THANKS TO DIRTWADS. it is 190 shots, 170 other shots, 350 spay and chip.

#17 · (Edited)
As a retired behaviorist/trainer and German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue chair for TN/AL/KY, I'd like to add a few things I learned along the way.

1. Never, ever, under any circumstances use the phrase "Bad Dog!" That implies the dog understands what "bad" means. They don't; they might look guilty but it's because they read your body language and vocal tones. Plus, it's negative.

2. Breast cancer chances increase with each season. Prostate cancer chances increase when males are left intact. So I recommended clients spay bitches at one year or after first heat; whichever came first. Neuter males at one-to-two years unless marking, aggression or unwanted sexual behavior occurred. If she were mine, I'd have her spayed and tell anyone who might want her there's no cost but you do need to be reimbursed for the spaying. Never trust anyone to honor a contract. Not everyone is as diligent as you are. And not everyone even recognizes when a bitch is in season. *This was written before 15 but appeared after. Maybe the shelter would give you a paper like they do people who adopt from them (at least in TN they do). *

3. Rescue dogs don't know their names. So I used cheese or hot dog pieces. I'd make a quiet noise and when they looked I'd say their new name simultaneously with giving them the the cheese or hot dog. Biscuits are for treats for doing nothing and for sit, down, etc. But hot dogs and cheese are for name recognition and coming when called. Only say their name once or you'll have a dog like my late girl who thought her name was "Hannah Hannah." :) My dogs don't know the word "come." They come on their names. "Come" is just one more command we teach them to disobey. Associating their name with special treats makes them much more reliable. Oh, you can use a squeaky to get their attention and then say their name. This gives you two ways to call them/get their attention. You *must* make learning their name a lesson.

After they turn on their name, walk a few steps, say name and reward. Do this for three days and then randomly replace food with "good dog." But always have the food in your hand. This is where most people train their dogs to only do actions for treats: They suddenly stop the treats; they must be gradually weaned off them. According to most studies, it takes approximately three weeks for a dog to have a behavior permanently embedded.

4. If they don't listen, never raise your voice. Either go to them or tap them on the shoulder to get their attention. This works with name recognition, too.

5. If they're afraid of something (like the grate), stand still and let them flop around like a fish until they tire. Hold your arm still; let them, not your arm, flop. Don't say anything. Just stand there. When they stop flopping, move a foot. Stop. Still not saying anything. If they run past you to get away from the "monster in their mind," stand there. When they stop, move forward. The key is silence when a dog is afraid. If you don't acknowledge the "monster," eventually they won't, either.

Dogs only learn what we teach them; good or bad. You are so smart to not yell. All that does is teach them you don't mean something until you yell. My belief is dogs do what you expect them to do. If you expect them to lack respect for you and what's yours, they will. Obviously you're not letting that happen. She will wind up a great dog and she's lucky to have you guiding her.

#18 ·
5. If they're afraid of something (like the grate), stand still and let them flop around like a fish until they tire. Hold your arm still; let them, not your arm, flop. Don't say anything. Just stand there. When they stop flopping, move a foot. Stop. Still not saying anything. If they run past you to get away from the "monster in their mind," stand there. When they stop, move forward. The key is silence when a dog is afraid. If you don't acknowledge the "monster," eventually they won't, either.
I did that!! :lol: She really puts up a fight. I'm going to keep doing it until she learns it won't hurt her. Maybe she fell in as a pup? Got a foot stuck? Either way... I'd be scared too.

I notice she listens when you walk directly towards her. YOU MUST BE FACING HER for her to listen. Usually, you avoid being in an "aggressive" stance.

#20 ·
I know that. Hence the "contract" to ensure she is not going to be bred, and will receive that NEED (a year's time is more than plenty). IF in case we do not get to it.

We used to have an affordable plan... But... Too many people didn't pay. So... We lost that lovely chance. Thanks to some terrible pet owners. I'm also shopping around to which places are cheaper (all are about the same) and the best vet, who I can call MY pet's vet, rather than having ten strangers :lol: Not easy... One clinic would probably make PETA proud :roll: We avoid them...

I have a backup plan because only a moron doesn't think ahead, or think of "what if's" and "just in cases". I tried the "go with the flow" bull onceuponatime, doesn't work. Actually set me back further than I have ever wanted to be.

#21 ·
Where I live there are several places and organizations that will either help pay or spay for free but it is pretty much kept quiet because local vets get mad at the cheaper or free vet services. They think they will be put out of business. People here have to do a lot of calling around and asking questions, internet searches, networking. The help is out there!

I know your heart is in the right place about the contract but how can you enforce it? People lie all the time.

#22 ·
I had a client who hired me because his Dalmatian was afraid of fire hydrants. :)

When you drop something behind her, does she react? I'd get a squeaky and use it to get her attention instead of vocal cues. Apparently someone has taught her to ignore people. That's what's so frustrating about rescues: You don't know their backgrounds. That's why I relied so heavily on squeakers and hot dogs or cheese when retraining an older, unknown dog. I rehomed close to 100 in 25 years.

I'd do like LBF said with the camera and associate treats (biscuits this time). Oh! I forgot, you can put rice cakes in a bag with a hot dog or cheese and put in fridge. They will pick up the scent and you have cheap treats. Plus, they are so low in calories they won't cause a dog to gain weight (I know that's not a problem with her).

All my bitches pee just once when they go outside. You could bell train her (Russell's bell trained):

1. Put bell on a long string or piece of leather.
2. Tap bell to dog's nose and simultaneously say "Outside."
3. Let them out.

Never push dog's head toward the bell. It didn't take Russell long to figure it out and he's a boy....and a Shih Tzu! ;-)

#23 ·
It's better than not doing it at all. TRYING is better than NOT DOING ANYTHING. In my own personal set opinion, that is.

And she would not be "given away" either. I know more than enough people in my area, who have farms or large fenced yards, who would like a dog or another dog. Here we can't give away anymore.... They screened me to make sure I was not a dog fighter! And fully understanding and willing, I did not mind. To some people it would seem rude, but they obviously never felt the nagging thought or horrors of losing a pet to such a practice.

Here we have three vets: One "we could care less but whatever we'll do it" vet clinic. The "we love your pets and care for them!" clinic, and then the dreaded evil clinic... Who we swear has a "wheel of bad fortune" they spin with these choices: euthanasia, euthanasia, euthanasia, spay/neuter, rabies shot, euthanasia, sell bad food, euthanasia. And he also hates spaying and neutering. Thinks they should just be put down. He literally could be a part of PETA... Blech.

#25 ·
When you drop something behind her, does she react? Something falls she is surprised then investigates.

I'd get a squeaky and use it to get her attention instead of vocal cues. I haven't used any vocal cues since a couple days ago. She doesn't recognize her name anyways, and I've associated known words with movement (hand up, hand infront, hand above, hand down, etc).

I'd do like LBF said with the camera and associate treats (biscuits this time). Oh! I forgot, you can put rice cakes in a bag with a hot dog or cheese and put in fridge. They will pick up the scent and you have cheap treats. Plus, they are so low in calories they won't cause a dog to gain weight (I know that's not a problem with her). She will see the treat, knows she will get it, but the second the camera is facing her (she will go up and sniff it) she acts like it's a gun or something and cringes between my legs. x.x

I just thought of something: You could have the person pay the vet to have her spayed and you could "volunteer" to take her to the vet and keep her until the stitches come out. That way you know she's been spayed and she received the best aftercare. Just a thought.
You know what.. That is a good idea. "If you pay for her spaying (or even half?), I'll take her in and she's all yours." :lol: If she has to be rehomed... I want her to have a large yard with a good tall fence... Maybe a dog friend who is her size or bigger, and kids!!! She is AMAZING with children.

#26 ·
Hot dogs, kabana and twiggys are really high value treats for our dogs. Some dogs do just have very poor focus/attention spans.

My dog Nike has what I call the 'Nike Zone' where she completely becomes fixated on something and you may as well be peeing into the wind trying to get her to focus on you.

Best thing I have found is to anticipate the sorts of things that cause the above and prevent it from happening rather than trying to correct it while it is happening.

There is one training technique I have seen on Youtube called 'LAT' or Look At That. I was going to try teaching it to Nike as it seems good for reactive/excitable dogs.

#27 ·
"What's the problem," was big in my vocabulary. Or, "Are you kidding me? You're afraid of that?" They don't understand the words but they understand the tone. :)

You could also have someone else take the picture while you pet her or you could take the photo while they're petting her. They can be afraid of the darndest things, can't they?

#28 ·
"LAT"? Never heard of it!

I purposely make her do some things, where I have her calmed down (mental and physical "walk" lol) such as walking by the other VERY excitable dog. She did very good, as I gave the leash a firm (not choking!) snap, and she focused back on me.

I also notice she will not look me in the eye. Only men. Not females! :roll: Listens to Scott 98% of the time, me 65% of the time. Since I'm the one who mainly cares for her, and I am NOT lower than she is, she has to learn to listen to me anyways :lol:

I use a gester and move towards her to get her to move back if she is crowding the door. Then closed hand, means she sits, which she does. One finger up "wait", and she stays. She knows what she can do, and I know what she can do...

OH YEAH we had a run in with little kitty. Brought the dog in from the pee break, kitten was sitting about 5 feet away. She puffed up in surprise, the dog looked equally surprised :lol: But did not lunge, tense, etc.

#29 ·
Old obedience training technique: Take the food, put it close to her nose and bring it slowly up to your face. When she looks at you, she gets the treat. Some people would say "Watch Me." I said "Hey, you." While she looks at you (i.e., the food), quietly praise for about 10 seconds before she gets the treat.

She must have had a weak or no female owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.