Betta Fish Forum banner

Something wrong with betta!

809 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ANHEL123 
#1 ·
Hi there,

My betta fish Duke has been acting really bizarre and unwell for the past few days. Prior to leaving for vacation he had been acting pretty normal, but my dad was looking after him while I was gone - in my house, so he wasn't moved or anything. Then my dad said he started acting weird - not eating much, not swimming much. He is in a 2.5 gallon betta bow with a minibow filter. I keep the tank between 24 and 27 degrees celsius.

Now for the past few days he has either been hiding by the filter and a fake plant at the very top or sitting on the bottom of his tank/hiding in a ship. He's very lethargic not moving at all when I come to see him, which is abnormal. He's not eating and I can't tell if he's pooped or not - I see one poop in the tank. I did a half water change and cleaned the gravel two days ago.

I tried putting in Betta Revive yesterday, hasn't done anything yet. I've also put in some Betta Fix which hasn't helped much either.

Please help me!!! I've only had Duke for about a year, so I don't think it's his time to go yet.

#2 ·
Hi, could you please fill out the form below so that we have more info? Leave blank anything you don't have an answer for.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

#3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? - 2.5 gallons, mini bow
What temperature is your tank? - between 24 and 27 degrees celsius
Does your tank have a filter? - yes, a mini bow filter that came with the tank
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - no
Is your tank heated? - yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - none, just plastic plants and a plastic ship

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - betta bites pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?- twice a day (but now he's not eating at all)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - half water change once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? - No

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate:n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - yes, lethargic, sitting on bottom of the tank or top of the tank and not swimming or eating, no reaction to people looking at him
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - I've put in Betta Revive and Betta Fix, not doing a whole lot yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? - kind of, but he usually snaps out if it within a day or two
How old is your fish (approximately)? - almost a year

#4 ·
Hey mkmcmaster how is your fish doing? Do not use Betta Fix . It has tea tree oil in it which is bad for their labyrinth organs it can clog up the organ and cause them to suffocate. You can use it in very low dose, but it very easy to overdose.
Bettafix is a watered down formula of Melafix - which has an ingredient that has been known to harm the betta's labyrinth organ. Many believe it should never be used (both Bettafix and Melafix) on a fish that uses the labyrinth organ.. there have been many cases of bettas becoming ill or even passing when exposed to the medication.
Are you treating him with any medications currently? I saw your name in the other post that i was trying to help and if you already saw the recommendations on the water changes for 2.5 gall is different from what your are doing. I would really recommend to follow those instructions . You can just remove the filter and continue to do 1 or 2-50% water changes and 1-100% water changes weekly.
Give us update how he doing so we can help you:)

#8 ·
I was afraid that you will log out and don't see my mess. Let us know what symptoms he has since your post was more than 2 wk ago . Is he still lethargic? Any visual symptoms on the body? Is he bloated, swimming on one side? Any white fluffy patches on the body? Did you see his poop? What color it is? Just want to rule out internal problem which will show his poo in white,clear, stringy wormy shape.
If you will go to the store buy aquarium salt at any pet store and i would really recommend to buy Epsom salt at any pharmacy, or any supermarket also. Since we don't know what wrong with him buy both. They are not expansive. Epsom salt has to be without any additives, just unscented Epsom salt . Depending on the symptoms we might need Epsom not aquarium.
Sorry didn't see your reply yet ...i am at work takes me long time to write:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.