Betta Fish Forum banner

Lethargic Betta At Bottom Of Tank

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Catw0man 
#1 ·
I just bought a betta today after preparing for it! We drove all the way across the city because I didn't want a normal one from like petsmart or something. We went to this place called Big Als Aquarium. They had a really cool betta a selection and I chose the most active one I could and the coolest looking one! I picked out a very active super delta. The tank had already been cycled and the water quality was great! There was already a small pleco in the tank when I put the betta in after letting it sit in the bag for 15 minutes adjusting to the water temperature. But not long after I put it in, I noticed that he went and didn't move much at the bottom of the tank. After researching how to make the tank cool I went and got 3 male guppies and a African dwarf frog. They didn't bother each other at all. I tried feeding the betta and it came to the top, snatched a pellet and went back down. The tank is a 10 gallon with a air stone and a couple plants. The frog and fish all leave each other alone but the betta still lies at the bottom. Please help :) also I need a name for this cute guy! Here's a Instagram video of my tank. Btw I took out the pink plank. http://instagram.com/p/dfpBo4AQj8/

#2 ·
I just bought a betta today after preparing for it! We drove all the way across the city because I didn't want a normal one from like petsmart or something. We went to this place called Big Als Aquarium. They had a really cool betta a selection and I chose the most active one I could and the coolest looking one! I picked out a very active super delta. The tank had already been cycled and the water quality was great! There was already a small pleco in the tank when I put the betta in after letting it sit in the bag for 15 minutes adjusting to the water temperature. But not long after I put it in, I noticed that he went and didn't move much at the bottom of the tank. After researching how to make the tank cool I went and got 3 male guppies and a African dwarf frog. They didn't bother each other at all. I tried feeding the betta and it came to the top, snatched a pellet and went back down. The tank is a 10 gallon with a air stone and a couple plants. The frog and fish all leave each other alone but the betta still lies at the bottom. Please help :) also I need a name for this cute guy! Here's a Instagram video of my tank. Btw I took out the pink plank. http://instagram.com/p/dfpBo4AQj8/
I am not expert but my girl I got a few weeks ago acted very simiar but she stopped eating after 2 days and didn't eat for 5 days.
Sometimes it is just stress, not the kind of stress that can be avoided. A new place even if a good place can be hard on the body.
If ya looked at the diesease and symptons page on here and didn't see anything?
If the only sympton is lethagic ya could lower the water level so he doesn't have to work so hard to get to the surface. Also epson salt does wonders on them when feeling lethagic, or so I heard. I am by no means and expert and probably want to wait for another person to back me up.
I dosed my girl with epson for about a week and she purked up. Though not sure if all your guys take kindly to epson salt either.
Hope he gets better and hope I helped.

#3 ·
Sounds like he is just in some shock from being in a new (and much larger!) home. Give him a few days to adjust. Also make sure there's not too much water movement for him....air stones, strong filter flow can make it hard for bettas to swim (especially those with larger fins like Super Deltas and Half Moons).

I live outside of Toronto, Canada....where in Canada are you from?

#6 ·
Lots of people on the forum from Alberta! Very few from Ontario though...darn it! Let us know how your fishie is doing in a couple of days or if there's a change at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.