Betta Fish Forum banner

Lethargic bettas

676 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  LostxinthexMusic 
#1 ·
Hi there. I wrote in here earlier about slimy bettas. I found out that they are Protozoa on both my guys. After trying like 3 different things and still no result, I found this info: They recommended treating with formaline/methalwyne green, which is also found in rid ich. On rid ichs bottle it says to treat every 24 hours with a 25 percent water change. Well. I treated it two days ago and yesterday and I didn't do a water change in between the doses. I did one right before I started, but not in the middle. When I came home both my bettas were lying on the floor of the tank with the gills flaring. I put them in normal water (no med) and my one guy has seemed to get his energy back (but the white slime stuff is still not gone), but my other guys hanging out at the bottom still looking stressed. I'm nervous to keep treating, but at the same time I don't want them to die of possibly what they have.

I don't know where the little questionnaire is, but my tanks ar around 75-82 and are both 1 gallons with heaters. I'm using prime water conditioner and also aquarium salt for their added stress. And of course the rid ich.

Please help me. I don't want my guys to die :(

#2 ·
Your problem is probably that you didn't do water changes in between doses like the directions told you to. Too much medication in the water probably made them lethargic, especially since you said one of them perked up in normal water. Medicating them stresses them (mine was very lethargic after a long battle with fin rot and near constant treatment with antibiotics).

I'd say try again, following the directions on the Rid Ich to a T. You need to change the water so that your little fishies get the right amount of medicine. Too little won't help, and too much could be harmful. Best of luck to you and your poor sick fishies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.