Betta Fish Forum banner

Black Fire spawn

52K views 450 replies 68 participants last post by  CalvinWill 
#1 ·
I wanted to wait until the fry were at least a week old, but something has come up so I figured I might as well start a thread and post everything here.

They spawned while I was at work (2/8/2011). I was so upset I missed it. Watched them for almost an hour the night before and nothing. When I came home I saw Brick guarding the nest and Tina off in the corner with a few nips in her fins. Sure enough, there were eggs in the nest.

Few pics of the pair and set up. Pair is from Aquastar71.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I decided to use bubble wrap, seemed to work really well.

Water Glass

If you look hard enough you can see some of the fry. Can't wait for them to get bigger. Even with my macro lens, they are almost impossible to capture right now.

Sky Water Window Winter Glass

For some reason he has moved the part of the nest and is now maintaining two separate nest. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting

#3 ·
Congrats! Gorgeous breeders :)

Tallahasse has always moved nests. I'm not sure why they do it but some males just like to move the fry around different places. It could be he feels more secure over there by the plants.

#6 ·
I decided to breed this pair because he bit his tail during shipment. His brother did the same thing. I hate to say this, but in my experience with Aquastar71, his fish do not handle stress well.

I have another pair from Interbettas that I want to breed but his fins are so gorgeous that I don't want to risk them getting ruined during spawning. Crazy I know.

#12 ·
They are so CUTE! Love the little baby fishes lol. Great pics!

#14 ·
@ two weeks

Water changes are a lot easier now that the fry are bigger. There are a few that are significantly smaller than the others, but they appear to be healthy and strong.

They are on a diet of micro worms and BBS. I plan on implementing frozen foods when they are four weeks old.

Attachments

#18 ·
1fish2fish, I can't wait for them to start coloring up also. It will very interesting to see how many take after their father.

beat2020, I do 90% water changes every other day, and add aquarium salt with each water change. I started running the sponge filter once I removed Brick. Water changes used to take me well over an hour, because I use a turkey baster then place the used water in a clear container and look for any fry I may have accidentally sucked up. Now it only takes me 30-40 min due to their size.

They are starting to recognize me now and it's a great feeling when they all swim to the front of the tank looking for food. Here is a picture of their current set up. I will move them to a 20 gallon long shortly.

Attachments

#20 ·
Good job....and you take awesome pic......what kind of camera are you using.....are you are professional photographer or something....those are some of the clearest fry pics I have seen.....great way to get a fry count too...laffs....about how many do you have...in one pic I counted at least 30....lol....How many spawns have you had.....

Since I spawn in really heavy planted soil based tanks full to the top with water....I start a feeding tap of sorts with my fry...I give "2 taps" on the rim not glass of the tank as I put the food in with an eyedropper to condition them to come when called...lol.....this helps get them all in one location for counting, observation and transfers.....

I made a homemade siphon out of airline hose and attached two chopstick to make it more ridged for my fry tank cleaning and other uses....my thumb is the control valve and this give me good control to clean tanks with tiny fry...still get a few fry...... I use a 1gal icecream bucket to siphon off in that I will use a flashlight under to check for fry before the water goes into my potted plants...lol......and with the hooks I have over my tanks I hang the icecream bucket from its handle over the tank and then attach my homemade siphon to the side so that I can re-fill by gravity with like temp water....take me 10-15 minute to clean and I can walk away when I re-fill so I can work on other tanks-love those little clamps-sure come in handy sometimes...lol.......pretty neat system that has worked for me over the years...laffs....

Its great fun and rewarding spawning and rearing your own fry isn't it.....you get to see their individual little personalities come out....lots of fun...lol....or at least I really enjoy it....but I am easily entertained....lol.....

#23 ·
I love your spawning tank. Is that the bookshelf aquarium that petco has? It's perfect.

Off topic but what is your heater set to? I have two of those but they never heat to the temp they're set to. One was set to 76* and was heating at 72* and the other was set at 80* and was heating at 78*. Could be that my apartment is just too cold but for a heater that costs that much they should work right.

#24 ·
Yep, that's it. I got it for $10, it was a return which had everything except the box. I know this is my first spawn, but from my experience thus far, I highly recommend this tank. I thought I was going to need saran wrap, but the set up keeps it very humid.

I'm almost ashamed to say I have over 23 tanks. Ranging from 2.5 to 55 gallons. And five of the tanks are divided. My brother has a 500 gallon salt water tank. It is absolutely beautiful, so I guess it runs in the family.

I have found that the closer you place the the heater to your filter, you will get a more accurate temp. Mine is set at 80 degrees. Thus far, this temp has been dead on. I set it at 82 during the spawn and it never deviated, even without the sponge filter running. But I do have a few tanks that the heater runs one to two degrees off.

#25 ·
I'll try moving mine closer to the filter. In one of the tanks it is right next to a filter (the tank is divided and there's a mini filter in each section, heater in the middle section) but it still doesn't heat to the exact temp.

#27 ·
How many gallons is your spawn tank? I saw that tank online and considered it for dividing.

Beautiful bettas by the way and I'm sure the fry will be the same. Looking forward to updated photos!

#29 ·
A little over four weeks old!

I moved them to a 20 gallon tank last weekend. They actually started fighting when they were in the smaller tank. They are growing really fast, but are not developing much color. I wasn't too concerned until I saw beat2020s fry. Hopefully I will see some more color next week.

I am feeding them decaps, microworms, frozen bbs and hatched bbs. It took them a few feedings to get used to the decaps. In a few weeks I plan on introducing tubi worms and daphina.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.