Betta Fish Forum banner

Need to keep my plants going while I wait for PP to come in the mail? (kills snails)

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  ao 
#1 ·
My order of plants came in on Friday. I currently have them floating in decholorinated water with a heater in 5 gallon tank. I am glad that I didn't end up setting up the tank as I noticed I have what are probably pond snails. They came Aquarium central. I kind of hoped buying from a retailer that would not be a problem. Anyway I need to keep my plants alive why I wait for some Potasium Permegante to get here so I can dip the plants and kill the snails that will eat my plants.

How can I make sure my plants don't go kaput while I wait? I do have some Seachem Flourish if that would help.

I plan to use trumpet snails to keep air pockets out of my substrate. Should they be ok as long as I rinse the plants really well after I treat the plants with PP?

#2 ·
well light and keep them in the water, thats all you can really do and yes rinse well and use like 5x your water conditioner in a bucket and rinse them in that for a bit, and there are 2 kinds of people "retailers included" the first kind sells plants and admits they might have sanils, the seconds lies about it and claims they don't sell plants with snails, aquatic plants and snails go together like PB&J

#3 ·
Just make sure you put a light on them for 8ish hours a day and they should be fine.

Pond or Ramshorn snails will not hurt your plants. They eat algae and pond snails even eat the bad critters out of the tank (little worm thingies forgot the name of them).

#5 ·
if you're only worried about snails rather than algae, wouldn't an alum dip work? you can find that at most grocery stores. i used it on an order i got that seemed to have a lot of bugs and snails in it with no problems. re: keeping plants alive, i usually put an airstone in with my plants when i'm qting them after the first couple days but that may just be superstition, lol.

#6 ·
Ponds won't eat through live plants. The retailer might have had something else in the tank or the plants have holes for other reasons. I have kept pond snails ever since I began with live plants and have never seen them eat live plants. There's plenty of algae around that they eat so. . . I wish you were closer because I chlorine dipped my anacharis and caught some MTS and a few ponds off them. The only snail that made it to the tank unscathed from the dip is alive and well.

#7 ·
I am ok with snails that won't eat my plants. I will definitely be concerned about algae. It's good to know about the alum. I am also worried about potential fish infection I've read the PP is supposed to take care of that. I can't wait this all set up. I am very excited!

#8 ·
I usually QT my new plants for a week in tap water. If I see a lot of snails I will add a TBSP of bleach to the qt water. I do my QT's in a 1 gallon kool-aid type jug. 1 because it is tall enough to submerge the plants and 2 it's sort of clear so I can set the container on my patio or window sill to get some sun.
I change the water daily.

I will say I did jump the gun with my newest planted tank and didn't QT so now I have snails, lol. Oh well, I have been snipping off leaves with snail eggs and smashing babies against the glass. It seems to be under control but I might have to get an assassin...

#9 ·
I found out today some of my girls will be have to be delayed due to the 4th July holiday. I don't want them sitting around anywhere. So I will be taking my time. I've read posts about from people panicking that their plants will die since the tank wasn't ready. I was a little concerned they'd die. I really should be more level headed about this. Outside I am an expert gardener and I really want to see if I can do just as well under water.

The gallon pitcher is a good idea. Some of the plant leaves seem like they are rotting and I was trying to decide tonight how I was going to get them upright. How high do you fill it with water?

#11 ·
the commin aquarium "pest" snails - pond snails? bladder snails, ramshorn snails and trumpet snails do not eat plants. as far as I know, some types of mystery snails and rabbit snails will eat plants. If you dont mind harmless snails I would recommend to keep them around. especially since they contribute to a healthy planted tank system. :)

As for the plants, you can keep them alove by letting them float in a jar/lunch box/ large container of tank water. make sure all the leaves are submerged and the cobtainer is in a well lit position. A window sill that does not recieve direct sunlight is good for this.

Keep in mind that PP stains stuff and is a strong oxidiser, it will give you spotty brown fingers easily :p use gloves!

#14 ·
I looked and no cattie pillars! No just kidding. I guess I will just dip in diluted bleach water rather than watch my investment go down the drain. That should kill most stuff. My main concern is to not transmit any diseases to my fish via the plants, and no holes being eaten in them would be great. I don't hate snails I will pull the ones I can find. I will have trumpets in my substrate. I can see them from where I am typing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.