Betta Fish Forum banner

what cleaning animal i need?

7K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  tsoto80 
#1 ·
guys i need cleaning animal for my 10 gal aquarium, and how many of them i need.

i dont use gravel on my aquarium because when i feed my bettas worms tends to hide under gravel and died of suffocation there. i heard mystery snails are good... but they breath air too! i need an animal that cleans the bottom of my aquarium.

#2 ·
Try a few ghost shrimp.

#4 ·
honestly, it's your job as a fishkeeper to keep the tank clean. You can use a turkey baster to suck out what you need cleaned up. Cleaner animals themselves (even ghosties) need to be fed, and shouldn't be expected to keep your tank immaculate seeing as they themselves make messes too.

However, ghost shrimps clean left over fish food off the ground very well, though some bettas are known to eat them

#5 · (Edited)
I don't know alot about hillstream loaches but alot of loaches school in groups. Make sure you don't get a loach you have to school.

Don't some bettas eat ghost shrimp?

I don't know how pygmy cories do with bettas, but you could get 6 or 7 of those easy! They are so tiny. People use them for cleaner fish in 5g tanks. They are SO much fun to watch!

#6 ·
I wish I could get cories for my tank. I have a ten gallon divided in three.

#7 ·
Hillstream Loach

Minimum Tank Suggestion

24 inches in length for a group, larger if other fish are to be included.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/hillstream-loach/#ixzz17CadAv1I

It doesn't seem the Hillstream Loach is suitable for a 10g tank.

#9 ·
Apparently, they need a temperature between 68-75F but from many other forums, I have heard of people keeping them in cold water too. I did forget they needed a tank of at least 24 inches for a group, my bad haha

Pygmy cories would be nice but they are pretty tough to get a hold of, or at least over here they are, would you believe no-one has even heard of them lol

Depending on your betta's personality you could keep ghost shrimp. I'm not sure how effective they are with cleaning as I've never kept them myself, however I did have RCS and my betta totally wiped them out :-( so I would recommend some hiding places and plants lol.

The main key to keeping the tank clean is regular water changes and gravel vacuuming but it is helpful when you have fish that give a little back too haha

#12 ·
Mystery snails aren't very good. They will dirty your tank more than clean it. They poop ALOT! Also it's a common misconception that they'll just clean your tank of algae or whatever but they can't live off of just that they need slices of carrots zucchini etc. And they also need Calcium to keep their shells from deteriorating which is a painful process. I have one and I love it but it has it's own tank and shares an airstone with my other betta :)

#16 ·
Since I have this big tank now...

I'm SO curious as to how Drax would like Ghost Shrimp or other fish around.

Then again aren't there some horror stories of Ghost Shrimp attacking Betta's?

Drax is so laid back, I'd be scared he'd get bullied... and have his lunch money stolen!

#19 ·
You could try An African Dwarf frog or two. Research them first though...they're a little tricky to feed.

#18 ·
Whoa! 10 comets in a 10g tank!? Goldfish are one of the biggest waste produceing fish in the history of aquariums. They require at least 10 gallons...per fish, although many people say they should have more (and they should). How big are they? What kind of WC schedule do you have?

Also, comets are not suitable for the 10g aquarium. Many people believe this goldfish should be kept stricly as a pond fish, due to their love to dart all over the place (that is why they are called "commets").

I am not trying to scold anyone, I am just bringing it to the attention of the thread.

#20 ·
yeah i know they poop alot lol. but now i have 7 shrimps, and a filter.
i removed 4 gold fishes.. they tend to nipy my females.
i see their doing fine right now... no harm done to the bettas... just this 1 comet with long fins get bullied by my female sometimes.

#27 ·
Even WITH a filter, that's not a good idea.
I had 4 goldfish in my ten gallon once, and even with weekly changes and a filter, it was horrible. There have been cases where a betta has lived with goldfish. But that was ONE betta, in a very large thank with 5 or 6 goldfish. Goldfish can get HUGE, I don't want to sound mean, but I'd leave the females in the 10 gallon and put the goldfish in a pond or larger tank or find someone who can take care of them. You could even give them to a store.

#28 ·
hi, yesterday I bought 2 ghost shrimps, but today I woke up and one of them was gone and the other dead. I suppose my betta eat them.... I would love to have another animal in my tank but if my betta didn't like two small shrimps, I don't know if it is a good ideia to put another fish with him. should I try ghost shrimps again, or other animal, or should I accept that my betta is an anti-social? :frustrated:

#29 ·
I think I'm lucky with the fish I put in with Leroy. He is a good boy and gets along well with my 3 neon tetras and 3 peppered cories. I think he would rather play in the plants than with the other fish. I wonder sometimes if he even knows other fish are in there with him! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.