Betta Fish Forum banner

What do you think?

4K views 65 replies 11 participants last post by  Bettaluver4evr 
#1 ·
I just bought my betta the 2.5 gallon Minibow tank. He has 2 silk plants, a spongebob cave and 3/4" of gravel. I would like to get a little snail in there to help keep the gravel cleaner, and maybe 1 neon tetra. Does this sound okay? I am also fine with just the snail... :)

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
Hahaha! Yeah, I guess I'm his buddy. But he's probably bored a lot, I want to give him something to do or swim with or play tag with. :p Definitely want a ghost shrimp now! Does anyone know if Petsmart/petco carries them and how much they cost? ;)

#35 ·
:O Okay, that is within my budget!!!!!!! Hahahahaha, that is crazy! :p I will try to get 1 or 2 then. Sounds awesome. :) Thanks so much everyone! :)

#38 ·
New catfish! :)

Hey! Just got back from Petsmart, and guess what? No ghost shrimp! That made me a grouchy puss until I talked to a nice lady there and she reccomended a nice baby catfish. She promised that as long as my betta didn't hurt him, he would be fine. So, without further adieu, I would like to introduce my new catfish! I'm not sure what to name the poor little baby, but I like the name Benny! :p So, anyone think I made a bad choice? I hope I made a good choice, but Butterfly keeps bugging fishy. :( He is a peppered cory catfish, and he was I think the smallest in his group. I sure hope Butterfly adjusts and leaves him alone, I like the lil guy! :)

Attachments

#42 ·
Eek, really? Oh no! Aw! I don't want the poor guy to die or get hurt. Crap, I always make bad decisions! :(

#44 ·
Oh man, I still feel awful! :( I seriously could cry, I don't want any harm to befall any animal, but when it's my fault!... Well, I'll try bringing him back thursday, that is the nearest that I could bring him back. If I bring him back and she's still there, there was a white marble VT female with blue streaks in her fins that I literally fell in love with but left behind. If she or her twin sister are still there, I will get her instead. Man, ugh, I feel awful about Benny! :(

#45 ·
That cory should be fine until you return it, do not worry. We have all done that before. I bought a silver tipped shark once for my 15 gallon and came home to find that those fish grow to be over 2 feet long and need brackish water. I returned him and got some platies, all was well. :)

Just to be sure, if you buy that female you are not putting it with the male are you?

#46 · (Edited)
Oh my! I don't think a 2 foot anything should be in a fish tank! :p That would terrify me, it'd be like a little shark! I don't really like sharks. I think they are amazing, but scary.
And no way would I put a female betta with a male! I know apparantly know nothing about cute little catfish, but I know lots about bettas. I would keep her in a 1/2 gallon starter tank until I could get her something bigger... but I have all of the supplies she would need, and it would be loads better than the cup, right?
Ah, poor Benny! Well, he is exploring right now, and sniffling with his whiskers for some fallen food. I hope he found some! Butterfly is following him around and copying him now. He's only nipped him once more. Poor guy has to be returned now. :(

#48 ·
I won't now! I just thought Benny was cute, and if you follow the 1" of fish per gallon rule he should have been fine in that size tank with room for my betta... sigh... oh well. There isn't any way I could keep him? Butterfly seems to like him... :'(

#49 ·
Absolutely not. Cories do best in groups of at least 5. Your tank is only suitable for one fish. Plus cories like sand, your gravel looks rough. The peppered cories get at least two inches, so actually following the one inch per gallon you would need at least a 15 gallon (3 in for betta and 12.5 in for the cories).

#50 · (Edited)
Alright, I'll see if I can take him back thursday. :'(
And it's not my fault, the lady seemed really nice and she promised that the betta might be a little mean at first, but then he would adjust and the catfish would just be a peaceful buddy for him that cleans a little. Plus, there are loads of sites that say cory's can be kept in groups of 1 or 2... I'm just a nieve teen apparantly, but I can't get a 15 gallon for just a couple fish. D:

#52 ·
I let a few pellets soak in water and then let them sink for him to find, I think he got them. I also have some flakes, but those cloud water very quickly... but if you think that is a good idea, I'll put a few of those in to sink for food. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.