Betta Fish Forum banner

loud filter?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ScuitoAmi150 
#1 ·
I have two of the Tetra Whisper filters for the 5-10g tanks. They are both side by side, one in my 5.5g & the other in my 10g.
The one in the 5.5g is so quiet, you can't even hear it. HOWEVER....the one in the 10g is very loud. It's obnoxious.
If you look at the top of the filter (they don't come with a little cover for the top like the little 3g whispers do) the water is like sloshing around behind the actual filter part. So then it 'sloshes' into my fish tank & my girls don't like that very much.

How do I quiet/calm down this filter? I've tried wiggling around the charcoal pouch & the mesh screen. Doesn't seem to work....all of my tanks are in my bedroom & I couldn't even sleep last night because it was so loud.
Any tips?

#3 ·
I agree with bloo, but rather than doing it with the water bottle, I recommend doing it with a sponge like this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=57017

That's what I do, and I find I'm more comfortable with it for two reasons:

1) It's much more aesthetically pleasing.
2) I don't have to worry about toxins from the plastic because it's using an aquarium sponge.

And it works just as well if not better than the water bottle, because it also aids in the collection of beneficial bacteria.

#7 ·
You may need to give the filter media a good swish/rinse in old tank water or dechlorinated water...sounds like it may be clogged a bit.....you want the filter media to look dirty but still have good water flow...Also, sometimes things can get trapped in the housing/impeller area-like a snail, gravel, sand or even a long hair or fiber and the impeller will not function proper and cause poor water flow or a change in water flow...if there is a way to get to the impeller and clean it that may be a good idea as well....I know I have to clean mine on a regular basis due to all the plants and snails in my tanks....

#9 ·
Glad to hear that someone else has a similar problem. I used to have the same problem with my whisper filter for my 10 gallon, sometimes it would make noise simply because the filter wasnt exactly vertical. Right before I was given a 29 gallon tank I started playing around with a sponge to try and stop the noise by moving it to different locations, but never really got to find one that worked long term (the 10 gallon is currently in storage since my bedroom doesnt have room for a 29 gallon and a 10 gallon)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.