Betta Fish Forum banner

Mild Fin Rot! Argh!!

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Long story short, Toki ripped up his fins on an ornament a few weeks ago, so I started doing daily 15% WC with a little salt and it healed up nicely. However, I went away for 2 days and didn't change his water. Today I wake up and he has mild fin rot on about 3 of his rays on his tail. I immediately did a 15% WC with a tbs of salt.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 15%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat and a tsp of salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Little bit of raggedy fin loss with brown tips (bacterial).
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? N/A
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Did a water change with a tbs of salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Around 5 months

Alright, so what do I do? Do I add a tablespoon of salt with his water change daily? I don't know how well he tolerates it. I'd like to save medication as a last resort because it's mild right now. Any help would be appreciated! I'm kicking myself for letting this happen. :cry:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry for two posts in a row, but I thought I'd add that the tank is not cycled but has been running for about 5 weeks now. I probably slowed down the cycle with all my daily water changes but that's fine. Also, I'm picking up some Maracyn today but not going to start treatment yet. I'm buying it in case of an emergency.

Also, he seems even more active today... and he's spreading out his fins a lot wider than he usually does. I guess he doesn't know that he's sick yet lol.

#3 ·
I would increase your water changes to at least 50% daily, if you want to do a salt treatment I would QT and use aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days.

Careful with long term salt use in this species-other than long term salt and wrong dosage that can create resistant pathogen/parasite-it can also cause kidney damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.