Betta Fish Forum banner

Female Betta jumping out of water.

2K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  bettaloverforever16 
#1 ·
Long time reader, first time poster.

One of my female bettas has begun acting very strange. She is continually jumping up out of the water and sticking herself to the side of the glass. She'll stay up there for hours at a time and then drop herself right back into the water. She's currently in a 28g bowfront with 3 other female betta, 2 small plecos, 3 male guppies, and 6 female guppies. Tank temp is 78 degrees, pH is 7.1 None of the other female betta are doing this.

Any idea what's up?

Thanks in advance

#17 ·
My girl Peaches does this... She aims herself onto the glass but only if there is some food stuck there.. Like if a bloodworm just stuck there... She doesn't stick on though.. I highly doubt that your girl is doing it for the same reason :-D. The pH in the water maybe off, I heard they jump due to this.. I also suggest a water test :)

#18 ·
Off topic but Peaches is insane, isn't she? :)

If the pH is off, one of the better ways to lower it is tannins. Try to avoid the chemical Ph Up/Down products, they can screw the tank up. I'd definitely be concerned that there's something in the water bugging her and maybe she's more sensitive than the other fish and thus the only one to react to it. Or maybe one of the guppy guys is hitting on her.

#19 ·
Or maybe one of the guppy guys is hitting on her.
Ewww... Those guppy and molly males remind me of Pepe Le Peu
Yes, I agree about the tannins, I've been using them for two days now and my fish are soo much happier and my sick girl seems to be getting better too! I would get some IAL, oak leaves or decaf green tea bags if I were you, it might help!

And yes Sakura, she is. I should have looked into it before I bought her XD! She jumps at me if she sees me holding the can of worms!

#21 ·
Watch her in that tank for a while. If she doesn't jump here then it was probably the other girls bugging her... Or those pesky guppies ;-)

#22 ·
What a bizarre behavior! Bettas never cease to amaze me. Talk about 'hang time'!

I agree with everyone here... when a fish is hyper like that and trying to get away from the water, something can be very amiss with the water chemistry.

I have seen more bettas jump into trouble than away from trouble - so I'm betting its something to do with the water in the tank. Or your fish is just a total spazz! ;D

#24 ·
I have a question: If you see her stuck on the glass for hours, do you try to pry her off and put her back in? Or do you just let her do it when she's ready? I ask out of sheer curiosity! (=

#25 ·
I always try to put her back into the water. Although after I walk away and go do something else, I come back and she's right back there. She's still doing fine in her new tank though. I think there's just some serious issues with my big tank right now. I moved everyone out of it except the plecos. I'm going to do a complete tear down later today after work.

#26 ·
Are the other fish acting weird as well? Btw I'm imagining the sight of a fish stuck to the glass like that and it is both horrifying and hilarious at the same time :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.