Betta Fish Forum banner

my girls might be guys? :O (names?)

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Aitas 
#1 ·
I have a 75l tank with 6 bronze cories and 6 female bettas.. And what I'm noticing is that with two of my girlies their belly fins are growing longer than with the rest... I can tell they're longer, because 4 of the females are actually sisters, but i'm worried that two of them are turning into guys? I'm also not sure about their tail type?
The first one i'm almost sure is a guy, but not completely, that's why i'm asking, but the second one is smaller then the rest though she grew a lot in the past 2 weeks, but her fins still seem kinda long... help?:shock: The photos might not be the best ever, but i hope you'll be able to tell!

Btw, they'd also be happy of some names for them, so any btw ideas would be appreciated! :)

#2 ·
they don't look like males :| never seen a male that chubby either lol, check for "eggspots" the white dot on the female's belly :) and look at my avi, she has some long fins too, and this one (she passed away):

but i don't think there males :) also they look like viel tails with slight webbing, i like the name "Lola" for the first one and "Cherry" for the second :3

#3 ·
wow, never seen females like that:shock:awesome!
well, i think you're right, i can see the white dot on the first one for sure, but on the second one not so sure cuz she won't stay still for a second.. Probably a girl then too! :) well, it wouldn't have been weird for them to be males, since they were really tiny when i got them!

But i love the way they look, so i'm really happy! :)
they still need names.. ohh i'm so bad at that :p

#5 · (Edited)
some females are hard to notice (sometimes) how big is her "beard"? a beard is the black area under the gills, and when betta's flare it shows out:
and most males of course make bubble nest, female's rarely make them, bubble nest:

and some one in this forum actually keeps a young male in his/her sorority, so it thinks it's a female :p just keep an eye on them. was the female/male attacking the rest constantly and scaring them away?
and she'll probably grow it (am not sure), am still researching the cycle of a betta but sadly my subject appears to be stunted (under size compare to age)

#6 ·
I've only seen her flare once so far and for her size, her beard seemed quite big, but for a difference of my male she never made a bubble nest (so far). Do you think it might be an idea to take her out of the sorority and put her in another tank to see what becomes out of her? :p I have a tank of 30l which is cycled and fully operating, but without habitants so far, so i could put her there?

#7 ·
if you like, second female dosen't look like a male at all, how long you had the second female? also some egg spots are smaller than other's and hard to notice, especially pale bellied betta's (i have a white female, hard to notice her spot), and another weird thing that the second one dosen't have her beard sticking out :| maybe if you can get a pic (if possible) i could see what i could do

#9 ·
I have all the females for about a month now, got them together. The second one was the tiniest one of all, still is small though. I also have a yellow female, and i can clearly see the white spot on her, but not on this one. I have it now in a 30l tank since yesterday, i've seen her flare once and today i saw some bubbles on the watersurface which weren't there before, but i don't think i'd call it a bubble nest just yet... :lol: might be a start of one, but i don't know..I'm just going to give her some time to decide what she is for me:lol:

#12 ·
Oooo it's gonna be hard to catch her flaring, but i had the cutest waking up ever... my alarm goes off, i look up, and there i see her, flaring directly at my face:lol: (i have the aquarium on my nightstand). I couldn't help, but laugh, cuz she's just soo tiny and flares like... omg it looked like a cool 13y/o kid, smoking cigarettes.:lol::lol::lol:

and she's not really agressive to other females, but still.. I have her alone in the 30l aquarium, because i won't risk a fight between them, while i'm away for the weekend or such...

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure the second one is a female too, I heard you can tell by their pectoral fins? Males have really long ones and both of them have female length pectorals. My girl has fins like that, and she is definitely a girl. They could be young males, if you haven't had them very long.

#16 ·
They are young, so i won't rush anything, and i won't risk anything either because i think it's irresponsible, so she's on her own, no harm done either way.

Well, in this whole story, the only one i know to be a female for sure is me:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.