Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #3291 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ah. Why exactly is grapevine bad? I think that's what I've been using... Oops(?).
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:13 AM   #3292 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Apparently it's toxic.....though there seems to be two types; grape wood and grapevine? Maybe it's the same though, idk. There are no concrete things but doing a google search tells me that everyone is saying that it releases some deadly toxins which is why they're generally sold in the reptile side, not the aquarium side.

I've noticed that some pieces look an awful lot like Mopani wood but the main difference is that Mopani is very dense and heavy compared to grapewood which is light and more airy.

I think it's one of those things were it's mis-identified and so one thing is toxic that looks like another that isn't. Like the milk snake and the coral snake; look similar but one is deadly whereas the other is not lol.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #3293 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I thought I took more pics than just these.....huh....school stress must really be getting to me! I'm forgetting everything! At least I got my major assignments done for the most part except one >.<

So visited one of my LFS's the other day. Saw these two cuties!
Labled as an HMPK but he looks like a 'tweener to me

This guy was gorgeous, once he colors up and spreads them fins out, he'll be beautiful! I wish I could take him home!

And gosh! My tank looks amazing now! Who knew that under all that Green Spot Algae, I actually had a nice looking tank?!? lol!

My AquaClear 30 kept plugging up and shutting off on me so I decided that I needed to upgrade a little if I was going to be keeping so many fish in this tank. I found the API SuperClean 50 for 30 bucks! I generally like API stuff and Luci, my best friend has one and it works great. So I decided I should buy it. The skimmer part at the top you can see, floats so it moves up and down with the water line. It was a b*tch to put together but it worked in the end. I also have an obscene amount of MTS....anyone want any?

Of course the guppy got in the way but look at that Giant Hygro Temple! It's glorious! I want to buy more for my 45 gallon downstairs Those are two Amazon Swords on the right and some Ludwigia on the left, some fluffy Myrio and Rotala in the back left

And Bowie! Long time no see, huh?! He's been growing back his fins like a champ! I'm proud of him for sure!

Showing off those luscious fins!

I added more Pygmy Chain Sword after a trim on the 20 long....yep! I need to start dosing these two tanks with Flourish

And the 45 gallon, still boring as all hell. I want to get some Java Fern to tie to the wood, maybe some java moss too (lord knows I have buckets of that now!) and then the Giant Hygro should fill in nicely. I think I want to suction cup some Water Sprite so it looks like it's completely filling in that wall there....might look nice? Not sure yet.

And here's the 20. I took out a massive amount of plants from Velvet section, going to take some Myrio and plant it in the back, keeping the Crypts there I think and the Tropica Sword and adding more Alternanthera Cardinalis when the others get big enough so I can expand the aquascape!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #3294 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So one of the projects we had to do for Photography was at least one picture a day to keep a Daily Photo Journal, we can do more if we wanted so I incorporated some time lapse/stop motion as well! But this is pretty much what a couple months looks like to me and the things that I look at most! You guys have seen most of these pictures in here.

Also, listen with the music, otherwise it will make absolutely no sense to you whatsoever!

Let me know what you guys think! It's due Monday! I have one last thing I will add at the end of it but it's pretty much almost done

Old 04-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #3295 
Aqua Aurora

I have a ton of MTS in my 55g too, all the food I put in for the otos and cory they like to pig out on. Non of the other tanks with mts have high numbers (hardly ever see them in the smaller tanks) but I don't over feed those tanks either. I just harvest the excess mts in the 55g off a cucumber (easiest way to collect) ever few weeks and sell the batch. Are you over feeding a bit in that tank?
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #3296 
Elsewhere

The tanks look amazing! What substrate is that, Lil?
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #3297 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
I have a ton of MTS in my 55g too, all the food I put in for the otos and cory they like to pig out on. Non of the other tanks with mts have high numbers (hardly ever see them in the smaller tanks) but I don't over feed those tanks either. I just harvest the excess mts in the 55g off a cucumber (easiest way to collect) ever few weeks and sell the batch. Are you over feeding a bit in that tank?
Of course I am lol. My larger tanks generally do get more food since I can't really control who eats it. I really don't mind, my Assassin Snails are having the feast of their life time and it's going to take them a few months to get through all of them lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
The tanks look amazing! What substrate is that, Lil?
Thanks! You mean in the 29? I use a mixture of Black FloraMax and PetCo Black Sand. I use that in my 45 and 3 gallons too. The 20 is Miracle Gro soil base and PetCo Black Sand over top. The 1.5 and the 4 gal are CaribSea Gold Sand
Old 04-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #3298 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Primarily took photos of the baby babies yesterday but some others too:

Pierce
Of course he had a big long poo....

Sam!

Classic Velvet shot

Rowan's color has definitely filled in. I still want to breed her with Sam though but she's rather big now...
Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #3299 
niQ

Awesome job on your video! I really enjoyed watching it. Lots of talent and creativity that you have. Thx for sharing
niQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #3300 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by niQ View Post
Awesome job on your video! I really enjoyed watching it. Lots of talent and creativity that you have. Thx for sharing
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!! It went over really well in my class too last night ^_^