Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeders- do you recommend breeding bettas?

2K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I'm considering starting to breed bettas, as I just love these fish and I love working with them. I've had several over about a 15 year time span, but never bred them. I know very little about breeding, so I intend to do a lot of research before even attempting to breed them. It's definitely not a hobby that I'll be starting tomorrow!

I'm wondering though, to people who do breed or have bred bettas, do you recommend it? I mean, do you think that it's worth the time and effort that you put into it? I guess I'm really asking you to just talk me out of it now if it's a bad idea, before I go through all the research; or talk me into it and get me really excited and dedicated to it!

I feel that I should note also that I lead a very busy lifestyle- I am a grad student, and I am typically gone several hours every day.

Thoughts on breeding? Thank you very much for reading and any advice you can offer!

#34 ·
Okay, great, thanks! I just remember hearing somewhere that the female needs to be at least 2/3 the size of the male, or the chance that she could be killed during breeding increases. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, but I'm thinking that for their safety, they should be close to the same size. That's my only concern with buying a young female close to the time I want to breed. I don't want her to be too much smaller than the male. We'll see what happens when I have a little more money to play with! ;-) Thanks for the links to her info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.