Betta Fish Forum banner

Fin rot? Columnaris?

654 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Spencerjunie 
#1 ·
Pho Phan has been speculated as a fin biter but today whether it as fin biting or fin rot that led to it he has a shredded dorsal fin that is falling apart as the day goes on and some small white fungus looking spots where its shredded. He also has som scales raised on top of his back but not the side. Pho Phan was completely healthy when I got him 1.5 months ago. I had him in a 6.6 gallon tank in which he was splitting his fins left and right. We thought it was from flaring...well hes only been getting worse and today im scared. Yesterday he was really under the weather compared to normal but nothing appeared out of the ordinary but this AM with his seemingly melting dosal fin im truly worried. I have placed him in a 2 gal hospital tank with a tablespoon of AQ salt and an IAL leave. I added the AQ salt incase it turns out to be columnaris...for some reason I have a bad feeling about this whole thing. He also has a heater in his hospital tank.

Previously he was in a 3 gallon evolve 4 tank with heater baffled filter and intake. He has anubias and java, a hidy house and sand substrate. I was doing a 50% water change every other day.

Now he is in a 1.5 gallon bowl with IAL leave and tablespoon of AQ salt with his heater. I am going to be doing 100% water changes daily.

Im just not sure what to think of this...I have no idea what happened to him? Advanced fin rot or infection from the tears? Am I treating it correctly? Im also adding some AQ salt to any betta tank his water may have come in contact with just incase.

I also have a blue betta with minor rot, he is also going to be moving to a bowl with heater/ IAL and AQ salt.

See less See more
#2 ·
Make sure you keep them completely quarantined and away from other fish. Feed good quality food but only a small amount. Change the water every day. Give antibiotics such as oxytetracylline or tetracyline. Good job for adding salt, that helps. Make sure to remove everything in the tank including gravel and decorations.

#4 ·
this is somewhat an old post but thank you for replying :) luckily he didnt have it! It was a false alarm...he still has the white patch but it never developed into anything at all and with the AQ salt and IAL his fins have healed up well. He then started biting the hospital tank so I moved him to his own ten gal, im doing another 10 day AQ salt treatment, hes stopped biting and I see regrowth! Im so happy. Even though I didnt have to treat for columnaris (thank goodness) your info will help others :D
Again thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.