Betta Fish Forum banner

Prime made my fish sick.

901 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Leeniex 
#1 ·
So I ran out of the stuff I have been using (Tetra BettaSafe) so I picked up Prime because I figured that's the best stuff. Did a water change on all three tanks this morning, adding the Prime. Withing hours all of my boys were lethargic and laying on the bottoms of their tanks.

Ran to Petsmart and bought another brand and did water changes again. They seem better but not back to normal.

The expiration dat is nex is 2013, I calculated the Prime and used a new syringe to add it. (I'm a medical assistant I calculate dosages). I acclimated the fish like usual, I just don't know what else it could have been.

Just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else has seen this happen.

#5 ·
Bettas can be very sensitive when it comes to water changes and if Prime had ingredients that they weren't used to, then it may have affected them. So, it may not have been the Prime itself, just that they were so used to something else, that it affected them badly.

#6 ·
I will say that I once used Prime many years ago, in 3 different tanks, and fish in all 3 tanks reacted badly, including some deaths. This happened within a short amount of time after doing the water changes. I quickly added a different conditioner to the tanks and everything was back to normal within minutes. It was like the Prime just didn't work or something (not sure if fish can even die from chlorine that fast tho). But I had used much of the same bottle in previous water changes with no ill effects. If it had been one tank I might have blamed myself thinking I had forgot to add it, but there was no way I forgot to add it to all 3 tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.