Betta Fish Forum banner

2.5 Tank Setup

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  wallywestisthebest333 
#1 ·
Recently I got back into my addiction with fish of all colors and shapes. I hanven't had a betta of any type since I lived in Korea when I was a bit younger. I picked up a Marina betta cube at a Goodwill for 4$ brand new, so of course my girlfriend and I rush out to grab a cute little fish. We found the most adorable crowntail and named him Sushi. Those little cubes work great, but we both feel bad keeping him in a half gallon tank...and she hates that I spend a lot of time cleaning it when she wants me to spend time with her :p. So I transfered him to my empty fluval edge until I get his new 2.5 gal tank setup tomorrow.

I plan on using a Tom Aquarium mini internal filter,and a hydor mini aquarium heater placed under the gravel. I'm going to use gravel instead of sand and make a small bamboo forest in one corner of the tank. Over time I would like to add in a bamboo shrimp, but for now I will keep him company with two Otto's.

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with either product I'm going to use or if they had any other recomendations. I'll have pictures up soon.

#2 ·
Just a quick update...I picked up all the equipment and so far so good. The heater works perfectly, keeps it around 77 degrees. The filter works like a dream and is super quiet. I hear my aquaclear 20 more than this. Infact I dont hear this thing at all. the heater fits neatly under gravel..and is extremely easy to hide. I hope to have pictures soon...and to add more bamboo to have a forest kind of look to the tank. Petco came through for once. Plus I found a little mate for Sushi...they seem to really like each other. Brand new betta femal, Unagi

#4 ·
I agree that things are working well :) However, I wouldn't put otos in a 2.5 gallon with your betta. I put 2 in before and it went well, but it was such a hassle and they actually pooped a lot o.0 My tank never got algae so I had to feed them algae wafers but my betta started eating them! So in the end I moved my otos to my community tank.

Did you put your male and female betta in the 2.5 gallon? It's wonderful if they're getting along! Hopefully neither of them gets injured!

#5 ·
Well so far I have Sushi alone in the tank. Unagi is in my fluval until I find a nice net divider or some sort or glass divider that will allow a good water flow. I will wait for a few weeks before I add otos into his tank. I've noticed they poo a lot...the one I have just poos like crazy in my fluval. I've still got a lot of work in his tank. I'll hopefully have some pictures here soon. I really hope their offpsring look gorgeous!

#7 ·
I'm still working on his tank and now since I got Unagi, my girlfriend (who picked her) wants to get her a 2.5 gal tank. I love the idea of aquascaping so we've decided to go with a Greek style. Sushi has his Asian style tank.

The otos are still on hold. I drop in a quarter piece of an algae tab everytime I see the previous one missing. I may just get a bamboo shrimp or ghost shrimps for a tank mate.

#8 ·
I would like to know how the Tom Mini Internal Filter is working out. I just got one, and I would say i love it, but am concerned it is too much for a 2.5 gal tank? Seem like my betta is getting a workout, even on the lowest setting and with the water disperser thingamajig.

I actually turned it off for the night so he can rest. However, I fear if I run it 24/7 I'll either end up with one, in-shape, ninja betta or one that is so wore out he won't survive.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

mjg

#9 ·
i have the tom internal mini filter for 1 - 5 gallon tank. My tank is 2.5 G, and even with the diffuser, it seems a bit strong for my poor betta and i am even wondering if it stresses him out.. how did yours work out? anyone else have an opinion on this issue, i love the filter but wonder if i should change it out? Even on the lowest setting, it seems to create a bit too much of a current, keeping my betta on the constant move.

any opinions or am i just over protective?

#10 ·
Glad your setup is working nicely. =] Yeah I'd not divide a 2.5 as 2.5 is the minimum for 1 betta. Glad you went with another tank! =] PLEASE [post pictures! My sister is also doing a greek theme and I want to do a bamboo jungle in my tank too! =] I'd like some reference and inspiration for tank decoration! =]

If you decide to get a 5 gallon you should split it between Sushi and Unagi! =] It'd look WAY COOL.

Oh hey, thought I should tell you. My sister had a hydor mini in her 5 gal with her fish Patriot and it almost cooked him. You might want to keep a really close eye on your heater.

Good luck with breeding! =] I hope it all goes well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.