Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Hammock

963 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  NorthernLights 
#1 ·
I have Brazilian Pennywort floating in my Betta's tank. Is this sufficient as a hammock, or is something more substantial needed ? Thanks.

#3 ·
I have a lilly plant in my girl's tank, and she likes to lay in the leaves as the fold up for the night. Very cute. She's not very cooperative when it comes to picture tanking though, I've tried many time to get one of her on her Lilly leaves, but no....

Reactions: fish monger
#4 ·
I've found that any silk plant with large/flat leaves works well as a betta hammock. I just get the tall "background" sets, and then smoosh them down slightly into the tank so there's plenty of leaves at or near the surface. My guys love to hide just under the leaves, and make the majority of their bubble nests up under there.

They sell a product called a betta hammock, but it's really just a large silk leaf attached to a suction cup.

:)

#6 ·
Def agree. With my first betta I didnt have any silk plants and he would use his hammock. With Brad Pitt he has an overabundance of silk plants to lay, hide, swim, play, and relax in. I have the hammock with the suction cup, be he ignores it. I will give it a few weeks and if I never see him on it, I'll take it out. I also purchased a Betta floating log, gonna see how that works out. He might take to it, well see. Now that my water is calmer due to a filter switch, he is all over the place, hiding in places I've never seen before. Its interesting to see really. Because he's still new, when I go into the room, he'll dart behind his plants. When I sneak in I have to make a concerted effort to locate him because he'll be in the thick of it. I can safely assume that Brad Pitt thinks he's went from a tiny cup to the wild, and fell asleep during the plane ride. It's actually great to see. I've considered tank mates, however, I think Mr. Pitt deserves his own.

#11 ·
hammock

I finally caved and bought one after a failed attempt to make some myself.

Odysseus loves his hammock! He's not a lazy fish by any means -- far more active than any other betta I have ever seen, but he does like to stop and sit on it for about a minute periodically. I put it near the surface because his tank is rather vertical so he'd have a place to rest and breathe. It's also where I feed him because he gets so excited doing his food dance that he sometimes won't see the pellet as it sinks. By dropping them over his hammock, I can make sure he gets it and uneaten food won't accumulate in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.