Betta Fish Forum banner

New Owner's Common questions!

4K views 50 replies 7 participants last post by  NCPanthersgurl 
#1 ·
Please excuse me if these questions are in the wrong forum. I'm extremely new :)

I'm going to get a Betta fish tomorrow (08/15) and have a few questions. I've done a bit of research and found some conflicting things, some coming from googling, some coming from this site.

1. Would at least a 1 gallon tank be sufficient for a Betta? I don't have enough room in my tiny room for a 5 gallon tank, so if I can get away with a 1-1.5 gallon tank, it'd be great!

2. How often do I need to change the water? I've heard that you should do 25% water changes daily, with 100% water changes weekly, but my boyfriend (who has only bought a Betta once and it wasn't for himself) says that that's excessive and it should only be 100% water change done weekly. Help? D:

3. I know that a heater is essential, but I live in Florida, so therefore, it gets very hot during the summer (like it is now.) Do I still need the heater in there to regulate the temperature to 76-82 Degrees or should I just leave it out?

4. If I do get at least a 1.5 gallon tank, should I just leave out the filter? At the moment, I'm cash strapped, so I CAN get a filter if I need to, buuut if I can get away with not having one just temporarily, then I will.

I'm sorry if some of these questions and comments make you wanna rant at me, but...I'm so confused and need help. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Would at least a 1 gallon tank be sufficient for a Betta? I don't have enough room in my tiny room for a 5 gallon tank, so if I can get away with a 1-1.5 gallon tank, it'd be great!

If you can get a 2 gallon kritter keeper, I'd do that. They're small enough to fit easily, but big enough for the Betta. If you can't do that, a 1 gal is okay with daily water changes, probably 25% one day, 100% the next, and start again.

2. How often do I need to change the water? I've heard that you should do 25% water changes daily, with 100% water changes weekly, but my boyfriend (who has only bought a Betta once and it wasn't for himself) says that that's excessive and it should only be 100% water change done weekly. Help? D:

That really depends on the size of the tank and if you have a filter or no. If it's a larger tank, you can get away with less water changes, and even less with a filter. If it's a smaller tank, you're looking at more. And one a week, esp. in a gallon, is not enough.

3. I know that a heater is essential, but I live in Florida, so therefore, it gets very hot during the summer (like it is now.) Do I still need the heater in there to regulate the temperature to 76-82 Degrees or should I just leave it out?

As long as the temperature stays around 78*, at least, you should be fine. If you're not certain, get the heater to make sure.

4. If I do get at least a 1.5 gallon tank, should I just leave out the filter? At the moment, I'm cash strapped, so I CAN get a filter if I need to, buuut if I can get away with not having one just temporarily, then I will.

Filters are nice, but yes, you can do without one. Just keep up on the water changes and you'll be fine. Filters will cut your work load drastically though.

#3 ·
OH, and welcome! :D

#4 ·
Thank you so much for the help, NCPanthers!

If I get a 2 gallon tank (I'm going to Petsmart tommorow, I hope they have it!), how often would I have to change the water in the tank? I just don't wanna kill my new fish just as soon as I get it! D:

Also, will the pet store have a liquid test kit? Should I use that the first time I fill up my tank with Spring water?

Thank you so much for your help! I know I must be annoying.. :)

#5 ·
A one gallon is fine but keep in mind the smaller his home is the more you have to change his water. I would recommend 2 50% and 1 100% on his water change. Basically every other day. For the water temp first get a thermometer- the kind that goes into the water not the kind that sticks on the glass. The one that sticks on the glass measures the temp of the glass not the water itself. Do not get a heater for a tank that small. They do have micro heaters but I believe it is for tanks 2.5-5 gallons. You could use a heat lamp or place it in the warmest part of the house if it gets too cold. Filters I find to be pointless on any tanks less than 5 gallons. They do have really small ones (which I got one on my 2.5 tank) but it doesnt really filter the water, it more less just adds current to keep the film off the surface of the water. You could use plain ol tap water but you have to have dechlorinatorwhich keeps your fish safe from harmful toxins, however well water is usually safe. Good luck and keep us posted!

#6 ·
No, no problem :) Glad you're being responsible enough to ask! lol. I change my 2gal Kritter Keeper's every other day. I use lukewarm water from the tap because tap water has minerals that are good for your fish. Make sure to get a water conditioner; API and Tetra have nice ones. And stress coat is nice. I always add two drops of each; but it depends on the conditioner, and there's usually instructions on the back. The water conditioner takes out ammonia and harmful metals, as well as a couple other chemicals I believe. It's handy to have even if you're using spring water, in my opinion.

Most of the major pet stores do have some kind of liquid test kit. You can use it if you like, I don't but I know it's good if you're really unsure of your water. :)

#7 ·
Thank you, NCPanthers and tsoto80 for all of your info! I'm writing everything down and I'll keep everyone updated on my new fish! :D

#8 ·
Oh and one more question!

I occasionally light scented candles. Should I stop doing this once I get a Betta so as to not contaminate its water? I know that spritzing perfume around is an AWFUL idea, but I'm not sure about candles.

#9 ·
You should be fine, if you're concerned distance it from the tank. Light it across the room or something. :)

#10 ·
many of mine are in 2 gallon Kritter keepers. you can find them where they have the rodent stuff, and cost less than many 1-1.5 gallon tanks! :O

water changes vary from person to person. i, personally, do 100% water changes twice a week, but some do 2 50% and one 100% every week.

they don't NEED filters. none of mine have them, but my Caroline, who lived in my 1.5 gallon, enjoyed the filter(and it moved her moss, and she liked that).

#11 ·
Hello! Welcome to the wonderful world of betta keeping. :) I second everything everyone says. Here's what I'd do with a 2 gallon unfiltered tank. Setup a 1 gallon jug with spring water or dechlorinated water and set it aside for partial water changes. 2x a week do 100% water changes, and 2 days a week do 50% water changes. Partials barely take any time at all, and 100%'s are also very easy. :) I only filter one of my 4 betta tanks, because I've had problems with betta fins and filters. Tears occur pretty easily for me. ;/ Just something to consider. Pleeeeease post pics of your new fishy when you bring him or her home! What tail type were you thinking of getting? :)

#12 ·
Wow, thanks for the welcomes and the responses!

I actually bought my little Betta today and I'm not sure what type he is. Right now, I have him sitting in a cup while his 3.5 Gallon filtered tank (silly me didn't think to get a 2 gallon one till I left the store. Doh!) is filtered for 45 minutes or so. I think, with the filter, I'll a 100% water change a week, unless that's too little? D:

How long should I get the filter sit before I bob Wheatley (that's his name! :D) in the tank?

#13 ·
3.5 filtered is better than 2 gallons! :D Congrats. :) You can't really cycle a 3.5 gallon, so just let the filter do it's work for a few hours while the temperature stabilizes. Then slowly acclimate the new guy by first floating his cup in the tank for about 20 minutes, then dumping out a bit of nasty cup water into the sink and putting a little clean tank water in the cup. This lets the betta get used to the new water temp and "taste". Do this every 5ish minutes for 30 minutes, then carefully release the lil guy. :) A filtered 3.5 gallon could get 2 50% water changes a week for 3 weeks, then a 100%. :) That's what I'd do. :) Congrats! We want pics pics pics. Pleeeeeease? :)

#14 ·
thats great you went with a 3.5 tank! I know Wheatley will greatly enjoy the swimming space. I would recommend doing at least one 50% and one 100% weekly. Even though you have a filter I do not think good bacteria will be able to establish in the filter because of all the water changes. I would say run the tank for 24 hours before you put him in to get the filter somewhat working. Did you get a thermometer, plants, and other deco? We expect plenty of pics around here!! We go gaga over them lol

#15 ·
Thanks for the advice, Bettaluver! I'm gonna keep it running until 7 (I've had it cycling for about an hour now), then do what you said!

I did manage to take a few of Wheatley. He didn't try to hide from the camera. He actually posed a few times before I turned on the flash, which may have scared him again .__. Whoops.

Pictures are coming momentarily!

#16 ·
Alright, here are the pictures of my Wheatley! Sorry they are of crappy quality. My other camera is dead and I had to use the crappy one :<

And sorry, they stretch out the page. So not my intention!

The picture above is the best where you can see a slight gap in his fins. I'll get a better picture later, but I noticed it when I got home? His fins don't look rotten or anything, so d'you think it's just stress?

And this is his tank!

#17 ·
Excellent! :) Glad to hear it. Wheatley is a veil tail! :) They are hard to photograph. :p Very pretty, and very nice tank. I've been trying all day to take pics of my newest betta Coral. I haven't gotten a new fishy since febuary, I'm really excited. I do not see a gap in his fins though.

#18 ·
Aww he's cute, and the tank is awesome. I love VTs! Both of mine have awesome personalities, especially my Jazz {Avatar fishy} :)

#19 ·
Oh, and the little cave? My Jazz has that in his tank, he loves it. :D

#20 ·
Thank you both! A Veil Tail..My Wheatley is a pretty boy! I can't wait to see his personality shine through!
Right now, he's kind of hanging at the top of the cup and when I put my hand up, he sorts of backs away. I'm chalking it up to the fact that he's been through a loot and isn't the most sociable right now.

Turns out the gap in his tail was actually the bottom of his pelvic fin, I think. It's a white/silver color and makes it look like there's a gap in his tail. Silly boy!

#21 ·
Really, NCPanther? I saw that cave and automatically fell in love with it. :D It seems so cute!

#22 ·
It might have ripped at one point; new growth comes in like that. :) And yeah, once they get used to you Betta's are so amazing personality wise.

#23 ·
Oh man, I just can't wait until he gets used to his tank. :D

Two questions:
1. Do I need to test the water for Ammonia and all that before I put him in? I put about 3 (maybe 5 on accident!) drops of decholirnator in there.
2. The temperature seems to be staying at about 86 degrees. Is that okay for him?

#25 ·
It doesn't hurt to put a bit more. If you have a test kit, you can if you like. Probably not necessary, but it really depends on the water source. City water is usually the one that needs most testing.

86 is okay, bit high... don't let it get to 90. lol. I let that happen once, nearly boiled my poor fish. >.<

#26 ·
Okay :) Is there any way to cool it down faster? Like Ice cubes (Okay, maybe not a good idea..) or something similiar? I just hate to leave him in that nasty cup of water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.