Betta Fish Forum banner

Bought baby betta from petco for $1, questions

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  newarkhiphop 
#1 · (Edited)
So after my red halfmoon jaws died in a horrible water change accident this past week :cry: decided to go to a new petco and buy a new betta, was split between a couple of beautiful half moons and baby , decided to go with this yellow baby betta here and i have a couple of questions

1. do baby bettas need to be fed more often than adults?
2. should i do water changes more often? say every other day instead of twice a week? he will be kept in a one gallon unfiltered aqueon mini bow with a heater for the time bein
3. i purchased NLS betta food pellets since there smaller, but so far i put two pellets in and it seems uninterested, do i need to crush the food up in small pieces?
3. can you tell by the pics sex/fin type?

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm guessing young male. The stickies in the breeding section contain more info than anyone will post here.

#4 ·
What a pretty Betta.....I would feed him/her more to get best growth/development....good quality varied diet in small frequent meals-if you have access to live foods...all the better....especially live mosquito larva if you have access to some-gather a few each day, rinse under running water-add so that he/she has to chase them.

Freshwater fish thrive with fresh water and young fish will grow better with low nitrate and DOC's.....

In a 1gal unfiltered tank (perfect btw) I would make 3 weekly water changes of 50% with 100% monthly....with adults you want to make twice weekly-1-50% and 1-100%-but with young fish and a lot of food-3 times a week....Be sure and properly acclimate to the chemistry/temp with the 100% by adding small amount of the new tank water to the holding cup over 10-15min. If you have live plant to add all the better.....

I would keep the temp at 78-80F....

It is hard to tell by the pics the sex and fin type-once you get it in the tank-use a mirror and see if you can get it to flare and snap a pic so we can see all the fins all flared out.....

Its also a good idea to exercise him/her every day too-by either using a mirror and/or placing food on the tip of a tooth pick an making him/her chase it around-also by chasing the live food will provide some exercise too.....

Good luck and look forward to watching him/her grow and develop into a beautiful Betta......

#9 ·
Are there any dangers feeding live mosquito larve? We have tonns at home.

#11 ·
Ok, thanks Oldfishlady :D
We have tonns of mosquito larve in summer in australia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.