Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2014, 06:34 AM   #161 
Hallyx
Reference Team

ishless cycles are a little funny at this stage. I would let the nitrite go down below 0.50ppm.

Then put in the shrimp until you see about 2.0ppm ammonia. Take it out and watch the cycle go round. If you can do this twice in two or three days, you're cycled.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #162 
Fawneh1359

Don't full water changes take away the bacteria from fish-in cycles?
Fawneh1359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #163 
afirose333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
ishless cycles are a little funny at this stage. I would let the nitrite go down below 0.50ppm.

Then put in the shrimp until you see about 2.0ppm ammonia. Take it out and watch the cycle go round. If you can do this twice in two or three days, you're cycled.
Update

I did 1 gallon water change after I left the post about no ammonia anymore. Just because I swapped out my heater and didn't want to worry about the water level while changing it out. The next day the nitrite had dropped to 2ppm. This afternoon I checked the nitrite and ammonia. Now there is currently no ammonia AND no nitrite. This all seems really fast to me. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong. I'll stop by the grocery on the way home and get more shrimp. Test it out the way you said, and I guess we'll see!

Thank you so many for your guidance!
afirose333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #164 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sometimes it takes a while for the nitrite oxidizing bacteria to take hold and start working. But when they do, it can happen really fast.

There is a small amount of bacteria in the water as it blows around and spreads throughout the tank. But most of it is found sticking to surfaces, like in the filter on the walls, plants and decor ... and even on the livestock.

Changing water-- even large changes -- has little or no measurable effect on the cycle.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-16-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #165 
Fawneh1359

Okay, thank you. I left a bit less than a gallon probably of old water but washed the plants and such so it should be fine. Now I just have to hug nitrite and nitrate kit since my API kit is only ammonia
Fawneh1359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #166 
afirose333

Quote:
Sometimes it takes a while for the nitrite oxidizing bacteria to take hold and start working. But when they do, it can happen really fast.
After I got home that night I added half a cocktail shrimp (which is still in there now). Because a whole one brought on 4ppm ammonia, I thought I'd just do half to get the 2ppm as recommended. 24 hours later the nitrites went up to 0.25, but the ammonia barely raised. And I mean like the ammonia was more than zero but less than 0.25. lol
After that I checked every 12 hours. Since that little spike it's been zeros all around. (Nitrate levels definitely say I need a water change though. lol)
Is it safe to assume my tank is cycled? Or should I have added a whole shrimp to really get an ammonia kick?
Old 10-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #167 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The readings for a cycled tank: ammonia= 0.0ppm, nitrite= 0.0oon, nitrate increasing slightly between water changes. Sounds like your tank is cycled.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #168 
afirose333

Quote:
The readings for a cycled tank: ammonia= 0.0ppm, nitrite= 0.0oon, nitrate increasing slightly between water changes. Sounds like your tank is cycled.

Thank you so much for all of your help along the way Hallyx.
Guess I might be getting a little boy this weekend!