Betta Fish Forum banner

PetCo Baby Betta

9K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  haileyy203 
#1 ·
I just got a Petco Baby Betta today. He is so cute. (Well... I at least think it's a he..) He's gorgeous! He's blue and green, and so adorable. He's not completely a baby I don't think. He's a bit bigger. By the looks of his tail I would say he's a crown tail :D

Okay, Okay, although I did buy a baby betta, I think it's so wrong for them to be selling baby bettas!! Gah!!!

Any opinions on gender?
For the time being I named him Kara-Himatsu which is Japanese for "Splash of Color"

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can get him/her to flare, or even get a picture where it is not lying on the bottom it would be easier to determine, however the unknown age may make this juvi hard to determine in the first place. A rounder belly, egg spot, beard/no beard, and length of fins usually contributes to the gender :)

Keep the water very clean, warm (78), and feed high protein foods for the baby. Any wholesaler who tosses babies into stores hasn't taken care of them, and being thrown into such situations can cause a shock in the immune system for some young bettas.

#3 ·
He looks like a veiltail to me... Currently his finnage appear to be female veiltail but they will grow out as he ages if he is male. I was at petco the other day... My mom made fun of me coz i said "AWWWWWWWWW" at this Teeney tiny betta... Like it was SO small, that it was unbelievably cute. xD

Heres a female veiltail:

Males: (some looks a little different)

#6 ·
lol well that little cutie will just be a veil tail :) usually by that age they show their finnage type right away.

#7 ·
Nooo lol oh well I still love him whether he's a crowntail or not although I was hoping it would be. Maybe its still possible! Muwahahaha lol

#8 ·
:lol: unlikely but trust me, we wish xDD Most I can find here are veils :roll: I got my CT shipped lol

#9 ·
I have to join you in saying I got a baby betta today too at our Petco. I SWORE I wouldn't get another betta until I got the ones I was going to breed.... GAH!!!!! The guy at the store said they have a 30 day guarantee now on their fish. I put the cup in the cart.... Your little one is adorable!!

I couldn't resist the cute little thing! I am not really keen either on them selling fry... but.... sigh...... lol

She (I think) was following me around watching me. The rest of the babies were very timid. I have no idea what color mine is but her anal fin has a little white spot on the bottom. From what everyone said here mine is probably a little veiltail too. :D

I just got done acclimating her into a 1/2 gallon container. I was crushing up a couple pellets for her a little bit ago and dropped a whole one in the tank accidently, it shot out from between my nails. The silly little thing snatched that giant pellet before I could react and drug it around for a good 5 minutes before abandoning it to the realistically sized bits of food!!! LOL!! I will try to get pictures of her. :D

#12 · (Edited)
When you get your little one settled in his/her new tank make sure to post another pic. He's/ she's so blue!

I am not trying to take over your thread btw. It just seems silly to have 2 threads about our babies we got on the same day. :D Besides it's like we are having a little betta play date... well not really, but as close as we can get lol.

I got a couple pictures but I didn't want to use the flash on the camera so the pictures are pretty dark.

This is the little one I got. She's pretty small, probably about an inch from the tip of her nose to her tail. That's the handle to a net in the background. :/

LOL Sena- Yes! I have to admit this little fish thinks she can eat with the big boys that's for sure!!!!

Chibir3dpanda- I have no idea what a baby crowntail looks like. Your little Splash of Color might turn into anything, the babies seem to all look a lot like each other when they are so tiny. I bow down to people who have watched their spawns grow up though. It's still going to be a surprise to see what they look like at full growth. :D The adult crowntail females I saw today really didn't really have very long spikey fins. Who knows, Maybe they will grow in. I have no idea though. :D

#13 ·
well, mine was marked female veil tail and she looked kind of like that...a month later she was definitely a he and looked more like a round tail. Now he's starting to spike more and I'm wondering if he's a young crown tail...heh. Only time will tell.

#15 ·
Veil tails can have the spikey look to them. Here is ZEBRA, she is a combtail. That is a decent outcome of a CT/VT probably f2 if anything. veil tail is veil tail. you can get crosses like this, and with females it'll be more defined when they have fully grown.
THAT is the only way the betta will be anything like a CT, and it's still considered a VT.

Second picture is Crayola. His fins have the spikey ends, his dorsal has the shaggy look to them. He is a VT. As he as a pet store betta, it could very much be possible in his genetics to have CT somewhere, as wholesalers cross types to get different looks and colors - hence sometimes you get the shaggy types. It's still a VT.

The last one, is one I found on google. That is a juvi crowntail.

The rays on bettas, can help determine the tail type as well. But someone else has to pipe up for that, as I am no good in explaining :)

EDIT Your betta looks to be a VT female, because the shape of her belly. See how my Zebra is? Same shape of body. I have females who have long fins, and short fins, are are all VT.

Attachments

#22 ·
To the other who posted a pic - female. :)

as for yours, I think give him/her a couple months, and we'll know for sure xDD

Also I've seen a female on here with longer fins (not as long as a male xD) and I have 2 with long fins.

#23 ·
Fiona: She is a VT female, and yes she IS female I've bred her :lol: I've also bred Meghan, who is the next picture. Fiona has awfully long fins compared to some VTs I have owned!! She gets really eggy, like "going to explode" eggy then thins out like a twig.

Meghan has decently long fins too :) not as long as Fionas. She gets eggy, then thins out.
And sorry her picture sucks :p She isn't the best to hold still...
This goes to prove he/she may be too young to know for sure :lol: a couple of months should do it lol

Attachments

#26 ·
Is that right after feeding? To me the betta still looks like a girl :p The ventral fins are small, and with most of my males they have the longer ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.