Betta Fish Forum banner

Cruel betta tank!!!

8K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  bettamaniac 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Sadly, stuff like that is all over the place.

The best way to combat it is to help educate people about the needs of their pet bettas. Often when a person first purchases a betta they don't know any better. They are told, or see, that these things are made for bettas so they assume that the containers are ok.

My daughter-in-law fell in that trap when she purchased her first fish - a betta - from Wal-Mart. She got a little bowl the sales person told her was "perfect". The poor little guy did nothing buy lay on the bottom looking dead. "Grandma" (me) came to his rescue & gave her a 4 gal. tank, heater & filter and explained how he needed to be treated like any other tropical fish with good equipment & tank cleanings. Believe me, he was like a whole different fish in that tank and had a long (over a year & I consider that a long life for a Wal-Mart betta) and happy life.

If we could educate people to the actual needs of bettas, people would not purchase those tiny death traps & companies would stop making them.

I should clarify - my daughter-in-law had the betta for over a year so I have no idea what his actual age was. She had such a positive experience with the betta, though, she is now the proud owner of a 38 gal. community tank that has been up & running for about a year now. :)

#5 ·
Yeah, those are horrible. My hubby's friends got a betta and put it in a tiny bowl that was way less than a gallon and it was filled to the top without a lid. They found it on the floor and wondered how it jumped out.

#7 ·
That's so sad :[ I see people at pet stores all the time take a betta home with one of those stupid little "cute" betta kits....(Sigh)

#8 ·
RANT TIME:
I know i hate those stupid little bowls that hold what? 1/4 gallon of water and they call them PERFECT for your betta! I was looking at the betttas at my LFS and the guy actually pointed out the super small bowls that were the same size or smaller than the cups and said that they were ok for a betta!Honestly what makes the betta any different from other fish you can keep as a pet! Just because they can live by themselves does NOT mean whatsoever that the fish is ok in a tank less than a gallon period. And i was looking at youtube last night and i saw a new trend... HANGING FISH TANKS! Basically its a picture frame with a fish tank inside and the tank itself is only about 4 1/2 inches thick. Fish are not novelty items people! They are living creatures like cats,dogs,horses you name it! Treat them as such! Man that was a lot of typing.

#9 ·
This is the review that im thinknning about posting and it gets 1 out of 5 stars which is the lowest you can give.

To be honest i have not purchased this tank but i have a good reason for it. This tank is not large enough to properly house a betta. Although this is a nice display and can be used as a temporary quarantine if necessary this tank is not ok to use as a permanent home.A betta needs at least 1 gallon of water to stay healthy and live longer than a week or two as well as a heater. In short bettas ,though beautiful, are not merely a a decoration they are a living creature and a great pet.

#10 ·
Oh my gosh another cruel tank! Its not even 1 gallon!!!http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...ettabowlsilver
:oops: I am so embarrest. . . My first betta, Betty, lived in that. He looked so happy! he was fed the proper diet and cleaned his tank every week! he live for 5 years never got sick once :oops:. but now I know. Akrin is in a 1G and is going to be put is a 3G vase with a live plant, heater, and filter.

#30 ·
#11 ·
I'm guilty, the first 'tank' I bought was a 1/2 gallon starter kit. Glad I came home and found this forum and within a week I bought a 5 gallon with a heater and eventually a sponge filter. I should have read before buying but took my 3yr old to a pet store and said he could pick any fish he wanted...glad I'm better educated now.

#12 ·
Awww that's okay. My first betta was in a half gallon, only live 2 weeks (I wondered why) and then when I had Venus he was in a half gallon for a few months, then I bought his 3 gallon.

#14 ·
Bump...
So what do you guys think of the review. Should i post it?

#15 ·
Post a review but if you do it in a non-aggressive way, people who are interested in the betta tank will be more inclined to listen and learn rather than be put on the defensive. You can explain how while this size tank is often considered as a first option, bettas live longest and healthiest in at least a one gallon. Possibly even link to information or another, more suitable tank. Then the potential buyer will have an idea of what to look for at his LFS or online. Like you said, most people don't know and need to be educated. =)

#17 ·
i've been blocked from viewing the link?????? why's that??

#19 ·
actually we don't have those tanks here.wonder why people do it and why people buy it.duh.... they don't know it wrong. thats what this thread is for.so don't say it's useless!! coz some new people who for the first time have started to keep beta actually was duped into buying one of those tanks from them because they din't know it was wrong to do so.

#20 ·
Were did I find a 3 gal vase? oh I bought it a johans I a Bought the heater and live plant at petsmart and I built the filter, for cheap to

#22 ·
My friend got two of the second one. Had a female in one and a male in the other. The female died, and she got a new teeny tiny one. His fins started curling and she didn't know why. I kept telling her it was the small tank. She upgraded to a 1.5 gallon. But she put both Bettas in it. I gave her my 2.5 gallon and she gave me her 1 gallon. I don't know why she just didn't use that one.

#23 ·
see people still do it out of ignorance!!!!! poor fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.