Betta Fish Forum banner

Pineconing?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  PewPewPew 
#1 ·
Just bought a new betta girl the other day, and I am noticing some slightly raised scales... since I don't have any other bettas around at the moment to compare her to, I wasn't sure if I should be worried! Are bettas usually completely smooth? I can see where her scales end, from the side but especially from the top. Tried to snap a picture, but she was waay too active.

I hope that I'm just being over-observant.... I would HATE to lose her so early! Worrying about fish is so emotionally exhausting :-(

#2 ·
Keep an eye on her. If she also start to bloat up and turns pail then I would worry and if that does happens then there is nothing you can really do cause there is no cure for Dropsy.

#3 ·
Just bought a new betta girl the other day, and I am noticing some slightly raised scales... since I don't have any other bettas around at the moment to compare her to, I wasn't sure if I should be worried! Are bettas usually completely smooth? I can see where her scales end, from the side but especially from the top. Tried to snap a picture, but she was waay too active.

I hope that I'm just being over-observant.... I would HATE to lose her so early! Worrying about fish is so emotionally exhausting :-(
Saaammmee problem :c Is she with others? If so, remove her. Try cupping her and bobbing her in the tank, secured so she wont sink.
Its also a good way to take pictures; since she doesnt have as much space to move, she'll be easier to photograph. You can even do it at different angles.

Good luck :c

#4 ·
So bettas are usually totally smooth? Can you see any ridges in a healthy betta?

Should I start salt treatments or anything? I know there is no cure if it is dropsy... : ( Noooo I really don't want her to be sick!

She has a five gal to herself, and is acting normally at the moment. Very active and very hungry! I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

#5 ·
Some bettas that are dragon types will have thicker scales, but most are smooth.

#6 ·
You might just be over-noticing. If she's feeling well, leave her be, feed her normally and keep her cozy cozy.
Ive heard salts can do much more harm than good as per raised scales/pineconing.
Honestly, I can kinda see ridges even in my healthy fish, always have been. But theyre sooo slight. It depends on what you mean by "raised".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.