Betta Fish Forum banner

How long would it take to cycle?

739 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Ajones108 
#1 ·
I have a 2.5 gallon tank, several members here have said that it IS possible to establish a biological filter on this size of tank, and I planned on establishing it eventually with this filter:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9821

I love the reviews on this filter and I'm quite excited. I believe it was Lion Mom that recommended this to me? <3

I'm going to be going on a 1-week vacation soon to New Jersey and I want the fish to be as comfortable as possible. How long would it take me to cycle a 2.5 gallon tank? I have until August 10th to get the tank cycled and I'm ordering the filter tonight from Foster and Smith Aquatics. Which seems like it's going to take too long to get here but I was just wondering, would I be able to get the filter established before I leave?

Or, do you think that my betta will be fine if I change the water out 100% the day before I leave and clean it immediately when I get back? Someone will be able to feed him but I don't trust my neighbors with a water change.

#2 ·
It would take at least 6-8 weeks to cycle it unless you have another tank to seed it with. If I were you, I'd do 100% WC before you leave, and don't have anyone feed him. Less food = less waste. If you feel the need, you could have the neighbor feed him once. This is what I did when I was gone for 10 days.

#3 ·
Thanks kuklachica. :) I'll do the WC then, and I do plan on cycling the tank still at a later date.

When I cycle the tank he's going to be in a temporary 1-gallon because I don't feel very comfortable with a fish-in cycle. If you have any tips or suggestions on this I would appreciate it. :)

#5 ·
I have a 2.5 gallon tank, several members here have said that it IS possible to establish a biological filter on this size of tank, and I planned on establishing it eventually with this filter:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9821

I love the reviews on this filter and I'm quite excited. I believe it was Lion Mom that recommended this to me? <3

I'm going to be going on a 1-week vacation soon to New Jersey and I want the fish to be as comfortable as possible. How long would it take me to cycle a 2.5 gallon tank? I have until August 10th to get the tank cycled and I'm ordering the filter tonight from Foster and Smith Aquatics. Which seems like it's going to take too long to get here but I was just wondering, would I be able to get the filter established before I leave?

Or, do you think that my betta will be fine if I change the water out 100% the day before I leave and clean it immediately when I get back? Someone will be able to feed him but I don't trust my neighbors with a water change.
if you are a beginner at fishkeeping I wouldn't suggest trying to maintain a cycled 2.5 gallon aquarium. spend the few extra dollars... literally... and make it easier on yourself. Filtration cost / heater won't be that much more either. 2.5 gallon aquarium = $13? 10 gallon aquarium = $15?

#7 ·
2.5 cycling is a fine balancing act, but as long as you're on top of it you should be ok. There isn't much surface area to house much bacteria so you'll have to do more frequent partial water changes than you would with a large tank.

If you have the money I'd recommend this combo. This is the only cycling aid that I read that actually works a majority of the time. And it comes with a small bottle of ammonia. Definitely recommend going this route. Otherwise you could buy ammonia that doesn't have any surfactants in it (ACE brand is what I used). But then it gets messy and smelly using a dropper, etc. Check out the sticky in the bowls/habitats part of the forum and it gives the pluses and minuses of the different ways of cycling. But I'd definitely recommend ordering some of the Dr. Tim's stuff. It'll speed up the process a bit and give you a MUCH easier to manage ammonia source.

#8 ·
People do cycle there tanks with the fish in it, Anyway It take about 4 weeks to fully cycle a tank, give or take a little...
You can either get the tank all set up and get him in it, let the tank cycle with him in it. Or you can do the 100% WC and come back then cycle everything..

#10 ·
Lion Mom - Albeit cheaper, I can't get everything I need from that one site so I'm just ordering everything off of Foster & Smith :) Thanks for the concern though! ^_^

kuklachica: Yeah I was thinking about the Dr. Tim's /w ammonia way. I was curious, if I decided to order the Dr. Tim's stuff from a different website, would this be the right stuff? If so, which one?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18986

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.