Betta Fish Forum banner

Bump on the side

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  bluebettafish 
#1 ·
Hello again. My betta has had this bump on the right side of his body (in the middle no bigger than 1/4 inch in length) for months now. I've had him since July last year. He seems healthy and eats well. Not sure what this bump is and wondering if I need to do something before it gets worse. Does anyone know what this is?? It's too hard to take a picture of it because he moves around too much.

#3 ·
No swimming problems whatsoever. He swims to the front of the tank every time he sees me looking at him. Otherwise he swims around exploring the tank. He has black head and blue body/fins and has beautiful, bright colors. I haven't done a water test in a while but PH tends to be high. The tap water has high PH and I can't seem to do much about it. Just for your info, I have a 3 gallon Eclipse with heater, filter, silk plants, flower pot and rocks.

#4 ·
I'm less worried about pH than I am about ammonia/nitrite. What about the temps?

Is the swelling causing his scales to stick out at all?

Have you noticed whether he's pooping? If there's no apparent discoloration anywhere and everything else looks fine, and no swimming troubles, and there's no good reason to suspect dropsy...my guess might be he's eating enough (overfed) or not pooping (constipated). Both conditions are actually pretty common. But constipation will eventually lead to a loss of appetite, so it's hard to say.

#5 ·
I will check the water again (I only have the strips with me now) but never had any problems other than high PH. Temperature is fine (80-82ish?) He eats and poops normally. I'm guessing it's not overeating or constipation because the bump is only on one side and it's not around his stomach (more on the side). I feed him twice a day about 2 pellets each. Sometimes blood worms and brine shrimp. He's in my office so he doesn't eat two days out of the week. The scales are standing up but only because of the bump. Nowhere else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.